Parents To switch or not to switch?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We are currently at a gym my DD absolutely loves. She just competed level 4 last season and did extremely well. She was a small fraction, like so minuscule off of winning states. She was recognized by the gym for how well she did and how hard she works.
That being said I talked to the head coach and was told she would be competing level 5 this year but still practicing with the level 4’s just upskilling for the coming competition season. She also gave my DD permission to tell her teammates/ friends. She was over the moon excited.
For months my DD has com home confused as she is not learning level 5 routines or skills and her direct coach has told the team over and over none of them are competing Level 5.
I sent an email. A week passes no response, my DD goes in early to talk to her coach herself. Wasn’t able to. She then sends a message directly to her asking who is going to be training her for the level 5 routines.
She responds that she has never told any of the girls they are competing level 5, to which my daughter is explains that she was told that by head coach. She was then told she was being disrespectful.
Finally get a call from head coach the next day. She said the plan is the same. I asked if other coach is aware of that. She said yes. Then switched it up to if she has the skills by end of August she will be competing level 5.
Pretty much told if she doesn’t like it she can find a new gym.
Very different from our previous conversations.
My question is this; why would they keep her at Level 4 when she clearly is ready for Level 5?
I have always believed that you play up not down.
This being said I have no experience with gymnastics.
I am just not sure how to deal with these gymnastics coaches to benefit my DD.
Should I reach back out at the end of August to ask for an update?

That's ridiculous. Sounds like not everyone got the memo and they are trying to save face with themselves, at your DD's expense. I'd start looking for another gym, now. The problem is that many gyms have set in stone levels for kids at this point and/or won't accept new team kids, especially for compulsory since the season is about to start. Who knows...maybe you can find a gym that would take her for L6 instead. This is why I say you should start looking now vs waiting until late August.

I'm wondering if one of the people your DD told started asking about levels, or it became an issue for some of the other level 4's/their parents. Then the coaches felt that they had to backtrack. Otherwise, I can't make sense of why they would completely change course. In any event, if your DD has not been working on the level 5 skills, I'm not sure how she can be expected to get them by the end of August. For my daughter, it took her a while to get the bar skills for Level 5, in particular. I agree with the previous poster that it might be time to look elsewhere ASAP.

That's ridiculous. Sounds like not everyone got the memo and they are trying to save face with themselves, at your DD's expense. I'd start looking for another gym, now. The problem is that many gyms have set in stone levels for kids at this point and/or won't accept new team kids, especially for compulsory since the season is about to start. Who knows...maybe you can find a gym that would take her for L6 instead. This is why I say you should start looking now vs waiting until late August.

My worry with this is if I start looking and they hear about it. She may not be welcome there anymore and she has been there since she was 3. She loves it there and loves her teammates.
I don’t want to hurt her in the process of searching for another gym.
And are all gyms like this?
If you don’t like it then leave mentality.
I understand they are the professionals, but I am her parent and pay a lot for her to go there to be trained.
I feel like there is nothing wrong with me giving my input and asking for explanations.

I'm wondering if one of the people your DD told started asking about levels, or it became an issue for some of the other level 4's/their parents. Then the coaches felt that they had to backtrack. Otherwise, I can't make sense of why they would completely change course. In any event, if your DD has not been working on the level 5 skills, I'm not sure how she can be expected to get them by the end of August. For my daughter, it took her a while to get the bar skills for Level 5, in particular. I agree with the previous poster that it might be time to look elsewhere ASAP.
Agreed and that is what I said if you are not upskilling her then how is she supposed to get the skill?!

My worry with this is if I start looking and they hear about it. She may not be welcome there anymore and she has been there since she was 3. She loves it there and loves her teammates.
I don’t want to hurt her in the process of searching for another gym.
And are all gyms like this?
If you don’t like it then leave mentality.
I understand they are the professionals, but I am her parent and pay a lot for her to go there to be trained.
I feel like there is nothing wrong with me giving my input and asking for explanations.
If you stay, she will compete L4 another year. They don't seem to want to honor what she was told earlier.

Changing gyms can be very dicey and you will want to be very discreet about inquiries so that it doesn't get back to your current gym.

If your DD doesn't have any L5 skills now, there may not be enough time to learn them before the start of the season. This is why I mention exploring the possibility of L6 when talking with other gyms as this would give her another 6ish months to learn skills and routines since the optional season starts in the winter.

Agreed and that is what I said if you are not upskilling her then how is she supposed to get the
If you stay, she will compete L4 another year. They don't seem to want to honor what she was told earlier.

Changing gyms can be very dicey and you will want to be very discreet about inquiries so that it doesn't get back to your current gym.

If your DD doesn't have any L5 skills now, there may not be enough time to learn them before the start of the season. This is why I mention exploring the possibility of L6 when talking with other gyms as this would give her another 6ish months to learn skills and routines since the optional season starts in the winter.
She does have almost all of her level 5 skills at this point. This past week her coach is away and she has upskilled every day.
Now she is worried coach is going to be mad. They upskilled instead of conditioning all week like she told them to.
Whether her level 5 skills are competition ready I have no idea. But they are there. We don’t start competing until December here.

Wow. I'd be super irritated if I were you/your daughter. First - if she was that close to winning State as a L4, picking up the L5 routines should be no sweat. Many gyms don't compete L5 though - in our area, it would be hard to find somewhere to go! Is going to L6 a possibility?

We're in the same boat right now for slightly different reasons, on the verge of leaving our gym with my DD who has nearly all her L5 skills. Given that your DD doesn't compete until Dec, I believe you should be able to find her a new gym if you look ASAP. By your description, your DD should not be held back.
You can take one last shot at working it out by getting both coaches in the same room plus management and ask what the plan is for your DD. If they cannot give you a straight answer, you have your answer.
And no, not all gyms are take it or go somewhere else, but definitely keep it quiet if you take her to get eval elsewhere. Yes it feels bizarre because I'm currently living it, but it's the reality.

We're in the same boat right now for slightly different reasons, on the verge of leaving our gym with my DD who has nearly all her L5 skills. Given that your DD doesn't compete until Dec, I believe you should be able to find her a new gym if you look ASAP. By your description, your DD should not be held back.
You can take one last shot at working it out by getting both coaches in the same room plus management and ask what the plan is for your DD. If they cannot give you a straight answer, you have your answer.
And no, not all gyms are take it or go somewhere else, but definitely keep it quiet if you take her to get eval elsewhere. Yes it feels bizarre because I'm currently living it, but it's the reality.

I am not good with confrontation in the sense that I get “momma bear” mentality. So I avoid it at all cost. My husband wants to go down but he doesn’t really understand anything about the levels! Lmao
I’m thinking that towards the end of August I will go in at the end of practice and ask to speak to coach and head coach together. Head coach is management.
If it’s the same I will convince her to eval somewhere else.
Idk how this will affect her in high school as the head coach is the coach of her school team as well.
I’m worried this could black list her or at least make her participation in the future at school very difficult.
That being said I don’t want to believe that will happen as she has been there since she was 3 and has a relationship with all of the coaches.

Most likely a gym switch would need to be made asap as teams are ordering leos and warm ups now.
Sorry that you are in such a difficult position. It really seems like red flag if none of the girls are moving from 4 to 5. It is not uncommon to repeat levels but to make everyone do it seems like there is something wrong with the coaching or forcing girls to repeat just to win medals.

Playing devil's advocate, but I'd consider staying put and not worrying about level 5. If she has two 36AA at DP4 then she can move straight into 7 once she has the skills, competing 5 isn't that much different from 4 and it sounds like the coaching (not organization) is good and she likes everyone in the gym. Switching gyms just to do DP5 early isn't worth all the negatives that come with a gym switch.

Idk how this will affect her in high school as the head coach is the coach of her school team as well.
I’m worried this could black list her or at least make her participation in the future at school very difficult.
I doubt this will have any effect on high school. The range of skills are so great in high school gymnastics (like level 3 - level 10). and not many girls on teams. No way they will black list her. Not sure your daughters age either but if she is younger then don’t even start thinking about something that is so far away.

just last thought. Connecticut is not a highly competing region and there are not a ton of gyms that can coach level 10 successfully. If you gym has upper optionals that score well and your child is younger than you may want to stay put. You do have to trust the process at some point and if you daughter is happy then changing gyms is jumping the gun at this point. Just my 2 cents after many years.

What stands out to me the most is that your daughter was told she was being disrespectful for simply inquiring about her path. How is the level of coaching? No gym will be perfect, however I personally believe that there should be open communication and respect. It can't hurt to look around, but I agree with others to do so discreetly.

We are currently at a gym my DD absolutely loves. She just competed level 4 last season and did extremely well. She was a small fraction, like so minuscule off of winning states. She was recognized by the gym for how well she did and how hard she works.
That being said I talked to the head coach and was told she would be competing level 5 this year but still practicing with the level 4’s just upskilling for the coming competition season. She also gave my DD permission to tell her teammates/ friends. She was over the moon excited.
For months my DD has com home confused as she is not learning level 5 routines or skills and her direct coach has told the team over and over none of them are competing Level 5.
I sent an email. A week passes no response, my DD goes in early to talk to her coach herself. Wasn’t able to. She then sends a message directly to her asking who is going to be training her for the level 5 routines.
She responds that she has never told any of the girls they are competing level 5, to which my daughter is explains that she was told that by head coach. She was then told she was being disrespectful.
Finally get a call from head coach the next day. She said the plan is the same. I asked if other coach is aware of that. She said yes. Then switched it up to if she has the skills by end of August she will be competing level 5.
My question is this; why would they keep her at Level 4 when she clearly is ready for Level 5?
I hate the gaslighting some gyms do about level advancement. I truly think it's usually an organizational money grab due to lack of coaching resources in many cases as to why some gyms hold girls back. THAT SAID, I'm curious how old your gymnast is and where they are at with bars?

I've seen older level 4s.... those in the 11-12 age range that kill it and win states at level 4, even on bars, still have to scratch level 5 bars and struggle the first few meets. That's how big of a difference level 4 bars is from level 5 bars in difficulty.
Playing devil's advocate, but I'd consider staying put and not worrying about level 5. If she has two 36AA at DP4 then she can move straight into 7 once she has the skills, competing 5 isn't that much different from 4 and it sounds like the coaching (not organization) is good and she likes everyone in the gym. Switching gyms just to do DP5 early isn't worth all the negatives that come with a gym switch.
Then again, if this gym has legitimate concerns about her being ready skill wise for level 5... (which usually means bars), then a jump to level 7 at THIS gym is wishful thinking. (Unless her bars are amazing and the gym is gaslighting).

If they don't have enough girls to make a level 5 team, they may be planning to take advantage of the new USAG-approved method of skipping Level 5. If a Level 4 gymnasts earns 36.0+ 2x, then they can move straight to Level 6. Our gym is doing this with a couple girls who did Level 4 last year, but didn't do quite well enough to go to Level 5 this season (had a couple of iffy skills last season that are better now). They will compete Level 4 this season and next season, will be in level 6. We have 1 girl that will compete Level 5, but the plan with her is to get the move up score, then have her finish the season as an Xcel Platinum. Next year, we hope to have 4-6 Level 6s. This year, we won't have any Level 6s ... AND for most of the season no Level 5s. From December-February, our Level 7 & 8 teams are practically non-existent because most of the girls are on the local high school team.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back