Parents Today's the day

• Thread starter Thread starter Ex member
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
I didn't talk to the head coach in the end, I didn't need too, the coach that dd had has asked dd to have a go at a class she teaches - she starts this week and her first class is 2 1/2 hours long, dd will be the youngest by nearly 3 years in this group (as far as I know), she has a trial to see how she copes as she only just turned 7 and the rest are 9-10 plus, the coaches only concern is if dd will have any fears (I expect her too given her age but hopefully this is something that can be worked on - Beam related)

I'm glad things are moving ahead for your DD, but if I were you I would still talk to the HC to see what this group is about. Sounds strange that they only have 9-10 year olds there. If it was in US, I would think it was something like "xcel" kind of group. Just ask him what is this group, and what comes after, and if he thinks it's a good fit for your DD, or he had something else in mind for her.

From what I have seen so far is that the gym will move girls up from rec that show ability without the barriers of age, the gym prepares girls for grade work in age and out of age, there is no set group to be in (after you advance from rec) except the performance squad and county squad, those groups ate not even on my mind for dd at the moment, we are happy enough for dd to advance from rec and then see where this leads. The coach who did will have asked the head coach if dd was suitable for this class given her age etc and I guess the head coach had no objections as dd has been given a trial.

That's great! Let us know how your daughter likes the class.

Dd enjoyed her first class and wanted to stay longer (when dd's session finished the gym closed). Dd's class lasted 2 1/2 hours.

There are 5 girls in dd's class and normally 2 coaches, the ages of the girls are 7 (my dd) , 8 and 9. The class is an established class that dd and one other girl joined. The class started off with a run around the gym and then some stretches etc before going on the bar (they did pull over into front supports and casts and forward rolls over the bar - dd needed some spotting with the pullover as she hasn't worked on them in her old rec class), the also spent time on beam doing balances (arabesque and something where you sit on the beam with your hands behind you for support and lift both legs together in the air as high as you can) and forward rolls (dd did these on the floor beam), dd said they also did some forward rolls using pretty hands on the floor, they finished off with a run around the gym and a rope climb (something dd hasn't really done before either).

Dd has no longer got to go to her rec classes and will go once a week for the time being. Dd and the other new girl were handed a letter asking them to attend a fundraising event that all competitive gymnasts (women's artistic side) have been invited to. The fundraising event will be held on a training night and it is the night that dd should be doing her once a week class and the letter said there will be no evening training on that night, will dd just miss training that week or is it usually held on a different night? I understand all gyms are different but just wanted a general idea.

All in all I am happy with dd's new class. the girls were lovely and looked after dd, dd seemed to keep up with the other girls and dd did everything they did (with spotting where necessary). I have noticed that dd needs to build up strength and flexibility as she is behind the other girls (I expected her to be) and I hope that going once a week for 2 1/2 hours will help her. It will take a little while for me to get used to the later session (dd was fine with it), one thing I can't get over it the price difference between rec and pre/team (development), it is a lot cheaper for dd to do 2 1/2 hours of her new class then it was to do 1 hour twice a week in rec !!!

I'm glad your DD enjoed the new class! It sounds like a good fit for her!

We had a class canceled due to a meet a few weeks ago, and they reschedule the practice for another night. But if it's a holiday or something they wouldn't normally reschedule. Sometimes gyms allow make-up classes, if they have the same class on another day. Is this class normally runs just once a week, or your DD goes once a week while getting used to it? If it's more than once, you should ask them if your DD can come in on another day that week.

They do various development classes throughout the week, I will ask next time we are at the gym if dd can go in a different evening as her training will be cancelled for a fundraising event that she will be taking part in, I hope they do ask them to go in a different night as dd doesn't get a choice as training will be cancelled that night whether or not she does the fundraising.

Welcome to the world of squad training. I'm really glad your daughter enjoyed it :)

Yes, every gym is different, so I would just ask. Ours wouldn't reschedule the class. It's the same as competitions which obviously require them to miss weekend training. They'll do a Christmas display and will miss training for that. It happens.

If there's a competition imminent and we have to miss a class for a genuine reason, they'll allow a girl to go in and work with a different squad for a make-up session.

Just enjoy the opportunity to watch her take part in an event - she'll probably get as much out of it at this stage.

Welcome to the world of squad training. I'm really glad your daughter enjoyed it :)

Yes, every gym is different, so I would just ask. Ours wouldn't reschedule the class. It's the same as competitions which obviously require them to miss weekend training. They'll do a Christmas display and will miss training for that. It happens.

If there's a competition imminent and we have to miss a class for a genuine reason, they'll allow a girl to go in and work with a different squad for a make-up session.

Just enjoy the opportunity to watch her take part in an event - she'll probably get as much out of it at this stage.

Thank you :)

I think it would be great experience for dd to take part in this fundraising event.

Dd was asked to try this class at the beginning of the week by one of her rec coaches who also along with another coach teaches this class, there was no formal letter invite just a quick chat to ask if dd wanted to do it followed up with the coach asking the girls head coach if dd could do it (due to her being a year or 2 younger then her new squad mates). The coach who invited her to try it wasn't there at dd's first session and I was a bit worried that I might have got the wrong info or wrong night but it turned out all right.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back