Gymnasts Too Much Pressure?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

GymGurl102

Gymnast
Reaction score
So this will be my third season competing and I have done XCEL Bronze and Silver. I got first all around at many comps both years, and now my coaches think I should move up. I’d thought it was a choice for me, but then the head coach emailed my mom and told her that I have to move up because I can’t stay in silver forever. However, I was only in Silver for one year. I feel like I’m not ready to move up and there is a lot of pressure on me to be ready by like December. Should I talk to my coaches about this or should I not? I’m so unsure, but registration for comps is starting soon so maybe I should just talk to her and tell her how I feel? Please help I need advice

Do you have all of the requirements for gold?

If you have all of the skills and requirements needed, I think you should go for it, even if you don't score as well as you think you will, there is always room for improvement inbetween the season to increase your scores and get upgrades for higher levels if you want.

Silver is a level I think that should not hold back athletes, or should not be kept in for too long, especially since its not a required level to compete. (coming from someone who competed silver for 4 years).
I had all of my skills for Gold my 2nd year of silver, but COVID hit, and between losing skills after the break and switching gyms, I stayed in silver longer than I expected to, causing me more stress and pressure.

However, if you really dont want to compete in gold this year, definetly talk to your coach about it.

What events do you feel unprepared for? For some events there’s many alternatives you could do (ex. rbhs can be replaced with front handspring step out round off). If you seem unprepared for vault or bars you would maybe want to talk to your coach about other skills u could do or about moving up. I feel like for beam and floor, there are some skills you could replace

Do you have all of the requirements for gold?

If you have all of the skills and requirements needed, I think you should go for it, even if you don't score as well as you think you will, there is always room for improvement inbetween the season to increase your scores and get upgrades for higher levels if you want.

Silver is a level I think that should not hold back athletes, or should not be kept in for too long, especially since its not a required level to compete. (coming from someone who competed silver for 4 years).
I had all of my skills for Gold my 2nd year of silver, but COVID hit, and between losing skills after the break and switching gyms, I stayed in silver longer than I expected to, causing me more stress and pressure.

However, if you really dont want to compete in gold this year, definetly talk to your coach about it.
I have most of the requirements I need but

On beam I have all the skills I need but not the confidence to get them at FIG. Vault is good, bars is good, I am mostly worried about floor.

Others are already helping with looking at your skills and stuff, but I want to give a different bit of advise:
Talk to your coach regardless of what you want. If you are ok moving up or if you're not, either way you seem to be worried. It's good for your coach to know that so they can help you and take it into account.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

The Magana Club

Back