Parents TOPS 8 yr old testing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

samadams

Proud Parent
I'm wondering if there are any other's with Dd's that are testing as 8 yr old's this year and what level they are in ? Thanks!

I have no idea. It is our first year going to testing. At my gym a 7 - 8 yo level 6/new 5 is considered young. However, here on the chalkbucket there seem to be a whole lot of 7 - 8 year old Optionals!

When my dd tested last year, she was 8 and just finished level 5. She made TOPs A camp but the competition was really tough. This year she is testing as 9 y.o. and just finished level 7. I think 8 y.o. just finishing level 5 is normal. As long as there has been plenty of up training past level 5 and TONS of conditioning, your dd should be competitive.

I hear of a lot of variation in the levels for TOPs girls. And not all TOPs girls are optionals, that is for sure! At our gym a bunch of 8 yr olds just finished old level 4 and right away scored out of 5, all the while uptraining quite a bit (not to mention TONS of strength and conditioning as mentioned above) and getting ready to compete new level 5 this fall.
I think the uptraining/strength/conditioning is key, and not necessarily as important is the level they are competing....several girls on our team got late starts to their careers (didn't join the team until age 7 or so) but are very rapidly progressing! TOPs gives them the opportunity to do so and advance their careers, which is great.

We don't do TOPS, but our levels are pretty much the same as yours. Last year our 7 year olds did L3, and 2 did L5. The 8 yr olds did L4, and 2 did L5.

This year our 7 yr olds did L3 and 1 did L5. Our 8 yr olds did L4, 1 did L6, and 1 did L7. So doing L7 is the exception, not the standard.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back