Parents TOPS Competition - What to Expect?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Clover

Proud Parent
We are headed to DD's first ever TOPS competition this weekend, and I have no idea what to expect. Can some of you parents (or coaches) give me the low down? I really have no idea of even the basics - Is it an all day competition? Are the girls separated by age group? Do parents watch? Are scores flashed up like in a regular competition? There are probably other questions that I can't even think of right now.

DD has been competing for a few years now so I know the basics of JO competitions, but she is new to TOPS competitions.

Thanks for your help!

It has been a couple years since my DD did TOPs but I will share what I remember.

It is not a TOPs competition but a TOPs Testing. I have never seen scores flashed at a TOPs testing and my daughter's coach had never shared a score with us from a testing. The girls often know what they scored on each event tested but don't always know what faults were deducted from their score. Even the coaches won't know the girls final score as some of the scores are based on how well others in the state/nation did on that event (e.g. sprint).
At most testings we were only able to watch from a distance and DD's coach generally asked us to not stay to watch the testings. Testings usually lasted a few hours but it will depend on the number of kids testing.

Good luck to your daughter!!

TOPS testing is usually a few hours. The girls warm up and move around to each testing station. They typically know how they scored on each event but that will mean very little until all the states have completed their testing and cutoff scores are determined. Parents are discouraged from watching. It can be nerve wracking as a parent but the coaches generally will be able to tell you if they think your child is at least a possible candidate for national test or if they didn't get anywhere near the typical score needed. If your child is consistent in training her skills and physical abilities, then I bet she will do great! Make sure your dd rests well and stays relaxed as possible going into the testing. Remind her just to do what she already knows how to do...just like testing at school:) Bet wishes and let us know how she did. My dd is also testing tomorrow...as a 9 year old. This is her second year testing.

It is not a competition but more of an evaluation/test. Typically parents are not allowed to watch but certainly some gyms do allow it based on the youtube videos posted. Even after the testing you will not really know how well your daughter did because it is based on the results from the whole country. At the time my daughter tested last year I tried finding out as much information as I could but it is pretty limited. It can be a very anxious time waiting, if you allow it to be, but you just have to put it into perspective and not let it get the best of you! My daughter tested as a 9 year old last year and wasn't really into the whole Top's concept, but low and behold she made the A team! Even then she was a little "luke warm" but she has been invited back to the development camp each session this year and she has been totally "super-charged" by the whole experience. She has had some great experiences at the ranch and has made some very good gymnast friendships. Best of luck to your daughter and let us know how it goes!

I forget to mention that you should do a ChalkBuket search for TOPs, if you have not done so yet. It is about the most information you will find about the TOPs testing.

Hey Clover, Can you tell us what you thought of the testing and whether there was a lot of kids testing, etc?

Sure, and thanks everyone for the insight. It was very different from a JO competition. There were not a lot of kids testing - maybe 12 - 15 of them. I didn't count. There was a place to watch, but you couldn't really see much. It seemed very low key and relaxed. Some kids only did physical abilities testing. I don't know if they were 7 year olds or older kids who didn't have the skills but wanted to test anyway. Also, some kids didn't do all of the skills in the "routines", so I am guessing they had most skills but not all.

My DD seemed to do OK, but nothing to write home about. They didn't start working on the skills at her gym until Spring, though, so if she continues in TOPS she should be more prepared next year.

It will be interesting to see the results when we get them. Of course, I know nothing about that process either. :)

My experience has been, if your DD's coach is going to share the scores with you, they will do so right after testing because they get the final scores at the end of the test.

All the scores this year are numerical (out of 10 or 5 for physical abilities, except rope climb, which is timed, and the time is scored by looking it up on a chart, and the handstand hold which is timed, max of 30 seconds). The skills portion is 24 points for each section, beam, floor, and bars.

My understanding is that 16 total for each section on skills is still a good score and has a good chance of making it to National Testing. Generally, girls have needed to get close to max on physical abilities in at least most of the sections to make it to National Testing.

7 year olds only test physical abilities. 8,9, and 10 year olds test physical abilities and skills.

Good luck to everyone's DDs testing this year. The girls work SO hard!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back