Parents TOPS testing, how intense?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Committed

Proud Parent
DD is 7 this year, and as only trained these skills for the last couple months. She's insanely flexible and can knock out the leg lifts, but really not competitive elsewhere. Her max on press hand stands is 2, and I don't think she's held a regular handstand for longer than 5 seconds, in her life.

I have no illusions that she'll make the diamond team or anything, but I'm looking for some insight on the testing itself. Is it high pressure? How long is the testing session for 7 year olds?

Testing was relaxed, but scoring is tough!!! If I'm not mistaken the cutoff score was around a 36 for diamond team last year. Cast to handstands was the toughest by far! DD's feet separated just a teeny tiny bit and she did not receive credit for that cast 8/10. She got all 20 leg lifts but knees cannot be bent and feet must be together. Things like this are considered 'faults.' During leg lifts, 2 leg lifts with a fault and you're done. Handstand hold, DD tested at 30 secs w/3 faults and at 20 secs w/1 fault & score was like a 4 or 5. It's tough, but it's not nearly as nerve racking for the gymnasts compared to a meet. The test lasted about an hour. All physical abilities were tested first, then the 8 & up tested skills. If you want more detailed info, you can pm me and I'll send you a score sheet.

ITA with Gymom. Scoring can be tough, but it isn't stressful for the girls. My DD had a lot of fun last year at State Testing. The girls from the different gyms were even cheering for each other.

ITA with Gymom. Scoring can be tough, but it isn't stressful for the girls. My DD had a lot of fun last year at State Testing. The girls from the different gyms were even cheering for each other.
I was wondering the same thing, as my daughter is also 7 testing in July for the first time. Thanks for the helpful info!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back