Parents Totally off topic question...when did you have your DD start shaving her legs??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

FlippinLilysMom

Proud Parent
So my DD is only 11, not anywhere near entering full on puberty yet (thank goodness!!) but the hair on her legs is starting to get really long and is pretty dark in color, so it is pretty noticeable. For those of you with older DDs, when did you start having them shave their legs?? My DD trains with a lot of older girls and I'm worried that they may say something to her but I also don't want to jump the gun on shaving, since we all know that once you start there's no stopping!! And did you all start her with a regular disposable razor or with an electric razor? I prefer to go the disposable razor path, since I've never gotten a good shave myself with an electric razor, but I dread the tears and drama with the first cut!

Mine only started this in the last 6 months (after she turned 13). However, her leg hairs were really not that noticeable and I left it completely up to her on when she wanted to start. She has been using a regular disposable razor and does just fine with that. Good luck!

Ha! I've been wondering this exact thing. I just ordered an electric razor from Amazon this morning for my dd. She only just turned 11. She has quite a bit of hair on her legs but it is also very light. I started to notice her cutting it with scissors. I think she is a bit self conscious. I do feel like she in on the young side but it seems like wearing a leo all the time might make a difference as to when they want to start.

Ha! I've been wondering this exact thing. I just ordered an electric razor from Amazon this morning for my dd. She only just turned 11. She has quite a bit of hair on her legs but it is also very light. I started to notice her cutting it with scissors. I think she is a bit self conscious. I do feel like she in on the young side but it seems like wearing a leo all the time might make a difference as to when they want to start.
Yes to wearing a leo basically everyday! I think that is why I have noticed it so much lately, because she basically lives in a leo. Please let me know what you (and she) think of the electric razor. I think I may start out with one of those. I'm just not ready to hand her a regular razor yet.

13 for my dd, but she has yet to shave -- has only used Nair so far. I'm not ready for her to have a razor!
Here too!! While she can do amazing things on a 6 inch beam when it comes to everyday skills (walking for one!!) she tends to be a bit of a disaster and the thought of giving her a razor scares the heck out of me! And I'd rather see her with some hair on her legs then full of bandaids!!

We started with Nair as well. Probably around 11-12. Can't remember exactly. The hair doesn't grow as fast at that stage so we got away with doing it every two weeks. After about a year, dd started started shaving on her own.

My DD is 10, and has long dark hair on her legs. She is the youngest girl in her group by at least a year and was very self conscious about it. Right now she uses Nair about once a month. I really didn't think it was a big deal, they live in a Leo and in the coming years there will be bigger fish to fry than letting her shave her legs [emoji15][emoji51]

My DD started shaving at 10 after she asked a few times. I really didn't think it was necessary but I didn't want her to feel self conscience. She uses the Schlick intuition which sounds like the Venus mentioned above. She has tried a regular razor and an electric razor but prefers the intuition. She shaves about once a week.

My daughter has to be the luckiest girl I know. She began shaving her legs at 14.5 but only shaves every 2 months or so as it is not very noticeable. She uses the disposable Venus razor for the reasons mentioned above.

Reactions: sce
I would let my daughter shave her legs whenever she asked. I plan to start her with an electric razor.

Reactions: sce
My DD is 10, and has long dark hair on her legs. She is the youngest girl in her group by at least a year and was very self conscious about it. Right now she uses Nair about once a month. I really didn't think it was a big deal, they live in a Leo and in the coming years there will be bigger fish to fry than letting her shave her legs [emoji15][emoji51]
You are so right about the bigger fish to fry. My DD is so independent she just kind of decided to shave on her own at about 13.5 and also one of the bigger fish without my help. However my girls and I use this shaving cream called Cremo. It is fabulous! No cuts for either of them and the bonus is the hair grows back much thinner so less frequent shaving. Its a little pricey but worth it.

I was a super hairy kid -- with very dark hair. I was a dancer. I started shaving my legs in 4th-5th grade (so age 9-10), and used a disposable razor. My mother helped me the first few times. My hairy legs were terribly embarrassing to me and it was such a relief to me when I finally started shaving. If and when I get that request from my DD (who, although dark, was thankfully not cursed with my hairy legs/arms), I will let her. I do not recall struggling with the disposable razors, even at a young age.

10 for my daughter. I was hesitant at first, but she does have a lot of hair, and since she's in leos every day, I understood her concern. I agree with gymgal's comment, we do it only every couple weeks.

Mine is 11 but with no noticeable hair. She hasn't asked yet.

When she does I'll let her do it. If she is bothered enough to want to shave I'll let her.

I offered it to both of my girls the start of their 5th grade years. I told them that I didn't think that they needed to yet; but that I also realize that they spend a ton of time in leos and might decide that they want to. I then bought them razors, showed what to do and told them it was up to them.

ODD I'd guess started really shaving around 7th grade. In 5th and 6th grades she would do it every once in a while; but around 7th grade she started doing it I'd guess at least every other week.

YDD is only going into 6th grade. She seems to only shave occasionally. She does have to shave her underarms now; but her legs get less attention. I suspect it might change in middle school.

My DD Is 11 as well. She started shaving around 8 or 9 I think. I know I know it seems very young but like you said, hers seemed very long and dark and she asked me to so if she thinks she is ready then I said yes!

So I would say yeah give it a go! Its honestly not a big deal!

OG was 12 and YG was 10.
OG wanted to. YG didn't. Not my decision though… and YG didn't need to - leg hair was blond and thin.

My oldest just turned 12 and was in 6th grade. She just used the disposable. I have been wondering the same thing about my younger daughter, but she doesn't look like she needs it yet. She's 10. Glad you asked! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back