Parents Tricep Strain

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnastcat

Proud Parent
My daughter recently strained both her triceps. Has anyone dealt with this before? We are specifically wondering how long it will take for her to recover.

wow! that's rare. too many of something? i do know that it can become chronic. so rest it and then some. :)

She was doing kips. I’ve been giving her ibuprofen and icing them and having her soak in epsom salt baths. That’s all I really know to do besides rest!

As with any strain, it all depends on the severity.

Time off the triceps with light exercise and ROM to get bloodflow into the issues. We are talking about minimal load here though. Curls and kickbacks with 2lb pink dumbbells, etc. Arm swings and circles would be fine.

Should she be completely pain-free before she begins training again? Or is this something that she would have a little pain with and slowly work into training again? This is so new to me as she has never (thankfully!) had any type of injury before and I have not found anyone who has had a triceps strain so I just really do not know what I am dealing with. TIA!

yes, pain free. as i said, and for some reason, triceps can become a chronic problem. i don't know why that is, but the few times i have heard of this over the years i listened to coaches complain about how long they took to recover or it recovered and came back several times.

My DD suffered this injury last summer. She went a total of 18 weeks without using it. We did PT twice a week for about 4 months. Injury happened in June was not expected to compete until Feb but ended up competing in Dec. It did take until about mid Jan for it to be completely pain free.

Wow. That is a long time. Lynn, I assume she was in the gym conditioning during that time? It seems that this is a rather unusual injury - at least, I have not been able to find much info on it. How did your DD get it? (If you don’t mind sharing.)

Wow. That is a long time. Lynn, I assume she was in the gym conditioning during that time? It seems that this is a rather unusual injury - at least, I have not been able to find much info on it. How did your DD get it? (If you don’t mind sharing.)

Yes she was still in the gym doing a ton of conditioning and anything else she could do without using that arm. It was frustrating because she was working harder than anyone else but team was progressing with skills and she was falling behind. But she pushed thru and has worked thru all the feelings of being set back by those 8 weeks.

We were also told the injury is very rare. My DD was working cast to handstand and her arm buckled and down she came. Totally a fluke injury with how it happened.

I strongly recommend the PT to help with rehab. And loads of icing. We were also told with this type of injury, a gymnast can take a little longer to heal because of how much they use their arms and how strong they are.

Good luck! Feel free to message me anytime with questions. :)

As I sit with my adolescent's Physical Therapist for the last time, I ponder the long road to recovery from a triceps problems.......it has been 6 months.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back