Trouble with twisting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

which way do you twist forward? left round off or right??

I do a left round off as in i hurdle with my left leg.Although i did notice someone mentioned that just because i step left doesnt mean that i turn left if that makes sense?And my front twisting im only able to do a quarter twist too.

need to clarify, what hand do you put down 1st on your round off? and how old are you??

my hope is that some day gymnasts can perform on a floor like a trampoline for several reasons and including using trampoline techniques as you have noted.:)

Were that to happen dd would be in HEAVEN!!! She has many skills on the tumble track that she just can't get the height for on the floor.

okay. try to twist left 1st. then try twisting right. then alternate every 2 turns left and then right and get back to me as to which direction feels awkward or not.:) you'll have to do several to get a 'feel' to answer the awkward question.

Just to add, try twisting to your right on front tumbling, if you're not already. Most lefties I've seen tend to twist right on their front stuff. But like dunno said, try twisting both ways on you're front stuff too, just to see which way feels better.

Brandon - that's interesting. That would explain why I do a back full to the left but a full turn and sole 1/1 to the right.

I won't let my athletes back twist & front twist different directions. I have nightmares about them getting lost in the air once they're really really good & doing multiple flipping multiple twisting skills.

I don't care which way they twist as it relates to their roundoff, but front and back MUST be the same.

Yup I agree, I always thought you had to twist to the side you were dominant in gymnastics. So that would be my left. But I literally could not get my body to twist that way, so I tried what felt natural. Twisting right, made all the difference.

I won't let my athletes back twist & front twist different directions. I have nightmares about them getting lost in the air once they're really really good & doing multiple flipping multiple twisting skills.

I don't care which way they twist as it relates to their roundoff, but front and back MUST be the same.

I've never had a problem with it. The first time I did a front layount twist(On mats, to my back) I twisted to my right automatically, even though I'm a lefty when it comes to tumbling/back twisting. Personally I think letting them do what is naturtal to them, even while running the risk of getting lost, is better than trying to force their bodies to do it differently. (IF it comes to them naturally like it did me, anyway.)

But I can definetly see your concern. I wish I had someone else at my gym that was working on front and backwards twisting so I could observe more. :p

Grrrrrr.Still having troubles.Coach thinks its me "throwing" down.Instead of doing my normal layout(front or back)i just try to twist right away instead of lifting and setting.Does this sound possible?Also when standing and "pretending" to twist i pull to the left but when it comes to twisting off of something i pull to the right which feels unnatural.And also any tips on how to be more patient with my set up and then the twist?

okay. try to twist left 1st. then try twisting right. then alternate every 2 turns left and then right and get back to me as to which direction feels awkward or not.:) you'll have to do several to get a 'feel' to answer the awkward question.

I tried doing that last night on bobber (the tumbltrak) and both ways still got me only half way.My right side had better form but it felt really unnatural.Should I keep doing this until one side feels natural?

Grrrrrr.Still having troubles.Coach thinks its me "throwing" down.Instead of doing my normal layout(front or back)i just try to twist right away instead of lifting and setting.Does this sound possible?Also when standing and "pretending" to twist i pull to the left but when it comes to twisting off of something i pull to the right which feels unnatural.And also any tips on how to be more patient with my set up and then the twist?

Do a stamding straight jump, with super tight everything. Jump up, throw your arms HARD up to your ears, or slightly behind your ears. And just keep a tight tummy and hips. If you're perfectly straight and tight, and threw your arms up/SLIGHTLY back hard enough, you should have some slight rotation already, so do this on mats. That should be your set position. Now make that your rebound position on your round off back hand-springs(from a RO-BH, doing a set like this WILL make you rotate a bit, so be ready to roll out or do a flip.). That will give you a near perfect set. Just make sure that when you're doing flips, you wait until you're fully extended in this straight-up position until you tuck/start your layout.

On to twisting. Make sure you're twisting at the right time. For a full, this is around when your toes are pointing directly up in the layout. And from what you've said, I think you should twist left. If it feels more natural, it'll be easier to get better at twisting that way.

So if you get that nice set, you'll get good height and won't have your arms to low. If you get the twist timing right, you'll twist a bit farther. The rest is down to practise.

Good luck!

I can't do a jump full turn to the left, yet that's the direction I turn when I finally got my layout full. Twisting is so complicated. BTW, my best tip for figuring out where I am when twisting is to use an X-Mat. After I look over my shoulder and spot the mat, I keep looking at the X until I land. That really worked for me.

All this twisting talk is making me really want to try it again. I might go for it tonight. I'm just still so scared after my injury.

I can't do a jump full turn to the left, yet that's the direction I turn when I finally got my layout full. Twisting is so complicated. BTW, my best tip for figuring out where I am when twisting is to use an X-Mat. After I look over my shoulder and spot the mat, I keep looking at the X until I land. That really worked for me.

All this twisting talk is making me really want to try it again. I might go for it tonight. I'm just still so scared after my injury.

jump back on that horse!:)

I tried doing that last night on bobber (the tumbltrak) and both ways still got me only half way.My right side had better form but it felt really unnatural.Should I keep doing this until one side feels natural?

it would be really useful to see video if you can provide it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back