Parents Try the tougher skill or play it safe?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Oh, sorry. She was a L3 last year and was going to move to 4 this year, but we just weren't quite there on bars, although I think we could have made it, it would have been rough, and her teammate was struggling too so we are doing Silver. I call it Level 3.5. ;)
Those darn bars!!!!! The kip is her nemesis!!!! Good luck :)

I think it all depends on the gymnasts. My dd has a girl on her team that competes a bt that is very clean because she wants the good score. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. My dd is competing a full. Her bt would be cleaner but she would rather compete the harder skill. The full is safe. It just needs polishing. So it just depends on what your dd is comfortable with. Obviously if the skill is unsafe your dd shouldnt compete it.

It's entirely normal for a kid to want to go out and do everything they are capable of. But, mostly, gymnastics is a sport of perfection. The system where you are because here, it's the coaches that make the decisions. Has puma junior competed before?

This has probably been discussed before, but is it generally better to attempt a skill and fail or do an easier skill cleanly? DD's kip and flyaway are not solid yet and her first Xcel Gold meet is in 2&1/2 weeks. She still wants to compete them because she thinks the judges will like the fact that she tried even if they are ugly! Just curious...thanks!

yes, true.

It's entirely normal for a kid to want to go out and do everything they are capable of. But, mostly, gymnastics is a sport of perfection. The system where you are because here, it's the coaches that make the decisions. Has puma junior competed before?
Lol! Love the "puma junior"! I call my husband Puma, hence my code name. But, yes- good question. This is her first "real" sanctioned USAG (state qualifier) meet. She did a meet in February just before she turned 7 and got 5th place, and the other in May and won! Both were level 3. As proud as I was, I know they were very small meets. I've already prepped her that this will be much more competative.

yes, true.
I was hoping you'd weigh in, you seem rather wise in the ways of gymnastics! :) What part is true? That it has been discussed before? Sorry, us newbies must drive you guys crazy! But I have learned so much here and really appreciate the insight.

Reactions: sce
Presumably the skills are safe and relatively clean? DD is a L5 and I'm happy to accept slightly lower scores for a BHS on beam over a BWO and a pike/layout flyaway over a tuck. We're impatient to get to optionals and want to work harder on higher skills.

By slightly, I mean tenths though. Lower 9's rather than mid.

This has probably been discussed before, but is it generally better to attempt a skill and fail or do an easier skill cleanly? DD's kip and flyaway are not solid yet and her first Xcel Gold meet is in 2&1/2 weeks. She still wants to compete them because she thinks the judges will like the fact that she tried even if they are ugly! Just curious...thanks!

With regards to scores, it's always better to play it safe.

With regards to development, it's usually better to play it safe, but not always. A kip is one of the few skills that I would allow a kid to compete even if it's not consistent in practice.

Presumably the skills are safe and relatively clean? DD is a L5 and I'm happy to accept slightly lower scores for a BHS on beam over a BWO and a pike/layout flyaway over a tuck. We're impatient to get to optionals and want to work harder on higher skills.

By slightly, I mean tenths though. Lower 9's rather than mid.
Definitely safe, not super clean. Thanks for the input!

With regards to scores, it's always better to play it safe.

With regards to development, it's usually better to play it safe, but not always. A kip is one of the few skills that I would allow a kid to compete even if it's not consistent in practice.
That's good to know. The kip is the one she really wants to try.

Not always. As long as it's safe, DD has to decide what skills to compete. Coaches rules- she says they aren't babies, and can make their own decisions.

I hear that is the case much more often in Xcel type programs. They aim to keep kids in the sport rather than scoring high.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back