Gymnasts Tryouts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nainai

Gymnast
Hi, I previously posted here a few months ago and got great advice. Still, now I'm in another dilemma, I did a trial gymnastics class(a few of those) for weeks before I decided to ask to try out for the xcel team, but now I've decided that tryouts are in a week, so I might as well try out. I have a few skills, Floor: Front handspring stepout, Front handspring, front walkover, and some basics like cartwheel handstand bridge, etc. I can complete a floor pass of a front walkover, front handspring, Beam: my highest skill is a cartwheel and front walkover on the floor beam, I can also almost connect my front walkover cartwheel, and I can do all the jumps, split, tuck, straight, wolf, etc. I can do a half turn and a full turn on floor beam, my dismount Is a side handstand or roundoff. Vault: I practice Roundoff vaults and do them pretty well, but here and there I've completed a very messy front handspring vault. Lastly on bars pretty much my weakest event while beam being my strongest, I can do jump to front support, mill circle, cast to 45 degrees. squat on and sole circle without jumping to high bar(practicing on being able to do it), Tap swings, and a half-turn dismount. I know its april and competitions have ended or are ending, so I thought this would be the prime time because I have 9 months before competition starts again. I would say all I really need is to get my pesky pullover which I cant seem to get, Tips for anything would be helpful especially my bars, and floor. But realistically considering the 9 months I have, would you say I would be able to do it, my goal is Xcel Silver

but now I've decided that tryouts are in a week, so I might as well try out.
I'm a bit confused, are you trying out for Xcel in a week? If you make the team, they'll know what you have to work on and how to do so for the next 9 months, so you won't need us to tell you that.

Silver definitely! You need to work on arm and core strength for pullovers. Lots of push-ups and do them with your feet on a chair and wall (hands on the floor). Any ab conditioning will help. Search on YouTube for gymnastics conditioning you can do at home. Ptactice at an Open Gym or on the playground bars to help. Good luck!

My 2 cents is that you are ready now for the tryout! It's unrealistic to expect that you might get new skills within the next week so instead I would just focus on what your currently have and also work on your mindset to stay positive and try to tune out any 'noise' of negative thoughts. I would NOT start any new conditioning right now because you don't want to start a new program and then find that you are dealing with massive soreness just before your tryout.

No one here can tell you what level you will be because we 1. don't know your gyms requirements and how they make team decisions and 2. we have not seen you do your skills. I've seen plenty of kids make team that don't have equal readiness on each event because the gym took into account prior training. Someone who has learned a lot in their first year ever of rec classes is different from someone who has been in rec for 3 years and still hasn't mastered some more basic skills, KWIM? A positive attitude will go a long ways too - be engaged and try to apply any corrections you are given. Coaches want to see how well you listen, engage and apply criticism. Unfortunately, some gyms have very stringent requirements with rules like 'no pull over, no team'. You can't change that so don't even waste your energy thinking about that. Show them what you have and who you are - at the end of the day that's all you can do.

YOU GOT THIS!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back