tumbling classes?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello,

My dd needs her robhs to move to level 4. I was wondering if a tumbling class would help with this skill? Right now it doesn't seem that they are working on the skill very much and none of the current L3's have this skill. Are tumbling classes more for cheerleaders? Would it be a waste of time / money? Just curious. She will be training 2 more hours a week this summer so hopefully they will work on it more when school gets out.

Does it have to be "pretty"? just asking, because it seems like the cheer/tumbling classes are more concerned with "having" a skill instead of it being competition ready, with proper form. I don't know if it would be a good idea to invest in the tumbling classes if they aren't stressing proper form. The coaches here say all the time how hard it is to unlearn a bad habit-harder than teaching a skill in the first place!!

Maybe if there is an actual tramp/tumbling class. I wouldn't go the cheerleading route at that point. Generally, it's a different end game than gymnastics there...so there tends to be differing standard and priorities in how the skills should look and be introduced. No disrespect to cheerleading...hey I teach that too. But again, different "game," different priorities.

They'll probably start working on it more when they practice more, and also likely are looking for the roundoffs and the BHSs to be really stellar before pushing the RO BHS together. It can be learned fairly quickly when all the components are "ready" (i.e., I spend longer, generally, teaching a RO and the BHS shapes, than it generally takes for the kids to pick up the connection once ready). I am not a fan of the roundoff, bent leg spring to head "hey they're doing a roundoff backhandspring" school.

Tumbling can be a great addition to gymnastics training, doing a tumbling class as well can really give the kids the edge. Also many of them just love tumbling so its great fun. But make sure you find a class your coach approves off. Lots of cheer tumbling classes are held but cheer tumbling is a different style to gymnastics tumbling.

My daughter took a tramp & tumbling class in addition to her normal practices before and while she was on pre-team. She loved it because they worked on tumbling the whole class and there wasn't much conditioning. We looked at it as her "fun" class. I know it was a confidence builder for her, it gave her an extra day of instruction to skills she was learning in her pre-team classes.

Thanks for the replies.

Honestly, I don't know if it has to be "pretty" to move up. I'm guessing if she has it by August she will move up as she has time to make it pretty by the first competition in December. We do have a tumbling class at our gym but right now it's at 8pm after dd's practice so it doesn't fit our schedule and it's full of cheerleaders. There's a rec only gym not too far away that has tumbling that might work for us in the summer. I would certainly ask dd's coach if he approves if we decided to give it a try. They worked a little on the bhs tonight and dd seems to be getting the hang of the positioning. Her ro isn't very "snappy" so I can see that it might take her awhile to connect the skills.

I cant speak for everyone, but a cheer tumbling class definitely helped us. My daughter took it for one month when she was level 3 b/c they needed it for lovel 4. As a result she became the strongest tumbler at our gym (on her level of course). There's actually a video attached to my signature (not the first one, but the tumbling video). It shows her progress. This video is at the cheer place she took tumbling at for one month. You'll notice in the beginning her bhs needed LOTS of work! This was after the first week. She had just learned to do her bhs and they were working on connecting it to the back tuck. They cleaned it up and Wala! after one month she had a perfect bhs!
Click on the second link below.

Thanks! DD is trying a "cheernastics" class at her gym tomorrow. Her coach said either cheernastics or tumbling would help her so we are going to try it tomorrow and see if she likes it. She is REALLY determined to get her bhs and it's great to see her desire. Her coach said the tumbling class is full of teenagers and the cheernastics class will have kids her age (she just turned 7 last week). Tumbling doesn't fit her schedule right now anyway. Hopefully she will like it and they will work on the robhs. DD wants to move up to L4 and I really think she will be ready soon.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back