Off Topic Turkey Trot

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
So, I made a goal last Thanksgiving to run the local 5 mile turkey trot this year (I am not a runner so this is my little marathon). I decided about 6 weeks ago that I was really going to do it and found a training plan on the Internet. It's been an interesting journey so far that has given me a lot of perspective with DD and gymnastics. First, I've learned that some days you just feel better than others and it translates in performance. Second, I've learned that training hurts (but you can manage the pain). Third, with the big day tomorrow, I feel both excited and nervous which is probably what the kids feel before meets. Finally, I'm getting better -- slowly but surely. My biggest fear is the outdoor environment (it will be colder, windier and more hilly than my treadmill affords). So, send any spare fairies my way for tomorrow am and I'll have them safely back before any meets. If you don't exercise, you should try it because it's been an enlightening experience. Practice makes perfect. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Will you post the link to the training plan you found? I have a treadmill gathering dust and a rapidly expanding midsection!

Good luck tomorrow!

good for you !!!! I need to get back on track & soon. I want to start with walking & my eliptycal. About 2 years ago I was doing reat & feeling good then it all went down hill !

good luck in your 5k. we will be cheering for you.

I did it! And met my goal of finishing under 50 minutes (that's for 5 miles not a 5K, so a respectable showing for a non-runner such as myself). I signed up for another 8K in 3 weeks -- I need something to keep me motivated! Anyone who wants to jump on the bandwagon -- don't worry about how far or how fast. I got that advice from someone and it makes the exercise thing a whole easier.

congratulations !!! good for you. keep posting, maybe it will motivate me to get off my butt !! I cant run because of the impact but there are things that I could be doing.

I am totally impressed. Good for you, translating treadmill running to raod running is not easy and to com ein with such a great time is something to be proud of.

Very impressive! I cannot get into running for the life of me but really wish I could. I tried running a 5k last year with a friend who was not at all invested and wanted to walk the whole thing. I stayed with her and we ended up being so far behind everyone else that the people directing the course were gone by the time we got to a turning point. We ended up lost and not even finishing the route. So much for that attempt!
I keep telling myself that when I get back on both feet I'll invest myself in either running or biking longer distances, maybe this thread will get me motivated to actually take action!
Awesome job on sticking with your goal and finishing in a really great time!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back