Twice a day summer schedule,a bit too much?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter is 9 and in the summer although she loves gymnastics, she sometimes has a hard time with going once a day! She is fine when she gets there and as I said loves gymnastics, but summer should be time for some fun too! She only goes 4 days a week and mostly 4 hour days and she is SO excited for her "day off" so she can do the normal fun summer stuff. I think twice a day is crazy for a 6 year old of any level. Even once a day for 3 or 4 hours is a lot of work and you want her to have some time for fun stuff or she is going to burn out quickly and want to quit all together. Hope you can work this out with your coach but if not do not doubt yourself.

Oh Boy!I am an idiot!

I decided to take DD to to the gym this morning.I was not going to drop her off and leave as I always do but I was going to sit and watch.At the end of the lesson I was going to have a "calm ,mature,respectful conversation with her coach".

As I stepped into the gym ,the coach comes running to me,huge smile and asks me if I didn't see the attachment that came with the summer scheduling email.

"Attachment?..Uhm,err,no..I didn't...What did I miss?"

Turns out the level 4's go 3 day a week in the morning and level 5's 4 days a week in the afternoon,the coach however is there every morning and afternoon so as to accommodate the need for flexibility that lots of families have during summer .I was suppose to fill out the ATTACHMENT saying which days I wished to come and if we planned to go away.

The coach told me if my kid wants to come everyday twice a day she could,just that she was playing hide and seek with the staff kids in the morning "because,you know it would be way too much gymnastics for a 6 year old."

I feel about the size of a bug right now,probably THE most useless mother in gymnastics history!!:melodramatic:

Oh Boy!I am an idiot!

I decided to take DD to to the gym this morning.I was not going to drop her off and leave as I always do but I was going to sit and watch.At the end of the lesson I was going to have a "calm ,mature,respectful conversation with her coach".

As I stepped into the gym ,the coach comes running to me,huge smile and asks me if I didn't see the attachment that came with the summer scheduling email.

"Attachment?..Uhm,err,no..I didn't...What did I miss?"

Turns out the level 4's go 3 day a week in the morning and level 5's 4 days a week in the afternoon,the coach however is there every morning and afternoon so as to accommodate the need for flexibility that lots of families have during summer .I was suppose to fill out the ATTACHMENT saying which days I wished to come and if we planned to go away.

The coach told me if my kid wants to come everyday twice a day she could,just that she was playing hide and seek with the staff kids in the morning "because,you know it would be way too much gymnastics for a 6 year old."

I feel about the size of a bug right now,probably THE most useless mother in gymnastics history!!:melodramatic:

HA HA HA !!!! I actually got a smile out of this post! I'm so happy your coach caught up with you!

Bwahahaha! Thank goodness that is how it turned out. I am sure your little one will be way happier with her new schedule.

Holy cow! Glad you straightened that out! As evidenced by the many response, that schedule for a 6 yo is pretty crazy. Gymgal also did point out the possibility of the schedule being set up to allow flexibility. We have the same set up.

Now, question, maybe a schedule of 2 times a day for 4 days, say 28 hours a week only over the summer (or for limited time) have any repercussions, yay or nay?

bwhahahahahahahahaha.......lololololololo! thank God. someone isn't trying to produce a 6 year old olympian on 2 a days! hope runneth over!! :)

Oh Boy!I am an idiot!

I had a feeling this was a miscommunication. I don't know any coach dumb enough to have 6 yr old level 4-5's practicing this much... Glad you got it straightened out.

Wow, what a relief. I was extremely worried that a gym would do that to a 6 year old.

Holy cow!Now, question, maybe a schedule of 2 times a day for 4 days, say 28 hours a week only over the summer (or for limited time) have any repercussions, yay or nay?
Ok I'm just going to put this out there...as a working parent, ONCE a day during the day in the summer is quite the juggle for me (and I have a carpool and relatives involved in carting my daughter to/from the gym) so TWICE a day would be an absolute horror show...I know they could stay at the gym between the 2 practices but that kind defeats the whole purpose of having the 2 with the down time in between....so I would vote NAY, unless I lived next door to the gym (which I do not)

i know that parents' schedules aren't a priority when making a practice schedule but it's a reality that it can impact whether or not someone can make it to the gym...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back