WAG Twisting wrong direction?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ReluctantGymMom

Proud Parent
Does this actually matter?

My daughter is a righty who actually does a bunch of skills lefty, but I guess because in preschool she did a cartwheel as a righty that’s just how she’s been labeled.

She twists lefty and it’s driving one of her coaches crazy - but she can’t twist the other way at all. Is this actually an issue for her tumbling? She’s very comfortable with twisting but can’t go the other way

left twisting is normal. Twisting only one direction is normal. I’m wondering if her issue is that her round-off and cartwheel entry leg and twisting direction are inconsistent with the usual pattern for left twisters. Left twisters usually step into their round-off with their left leg first and do a 1/2 turn to the right. there is no law that left twisters must have a left leg entry into a round-off. But some coaches really want it to all be consistent, so I had to relearn my cartwheel and round-off with the other leg when I moved to team. But I know someone else who did college gym without changing. The point of the story is that if something must change, it is The round-off not the twisting acrobatic elements.

left twisting is normal. Twisting only one direction is normal. I’m wondering if her issue is that her round-off and cartwheel entry leg and twisting direction are inconsistent with the usual pattern for left twisters. Left twisters usually step into their round-off with their left leg first and do a 1/2 turn to the right. there is no law that left twisters must have a left leg entry into a round-off. But some coaches really want it to all be consistent, so I had to relearn my cartwheel and round-off with the other leg when I moved to team. But I know someone else who did college gym without changing. The point of the story is that if something must change, it is The round-off not the twisting acrobatic elements.
Her round off is with her right leg - he seems very insistent on changing the twisting not the round off, although I think the round off would be a struggle to change too.

It’s much easier and safer to switch a round off than the overall twisting direction. She should start working her round offs and cartwheels on The opposite side because she will not be successful at changing her twisting direction. That is like asking a person to change their dominate hand.

It’s much easier and safer to switch a round off than the overall twisting direction. She should start working her round offs and cartwheels on The opposite side because she will not be successful at changing her twisting direction. That is like asking a person to change their dominate hand.
Yeah I’m not seeing that she’s having any luck with this lol, but I’m not in the position to just be like forget what your coach said, change the round off. I’m more hoping he just…. Gives up on changing it eventually unless there’s an actual reason to have the directions of everything matching.

He just noticed that she does her leaps lefty on beam and turns and something about it just annoys him to no end

I wouldn't change either... but I would disagree. Changing the roundoff is not very easy.

Does this actually matter?

My daughter is a righty who actually does a bunch of skills lefty, but I guess because in preschool she did a cartwheel as a righty that’s just how she’s been labeled.

She twists lefty and it’s driving one of her coaches crazy - but she can’t twist the other way at all. Is this actually an issue for her tumbling? She’s very comfortable with twisting but can’t go the other way

No... not really... there are only a few skills that this matters for.

As long as she twists the same direction on her forward and backward skills, I don't see this as a problem. There are minuscule number of skills (like, two or three in the entire sport) for which this makes any difference.

Reactions: rd7
A question here, if you do a RO+skill (without BHS), does twisting direction matter more then? Like would a RO Full be harder for someone who round offs leading with the right leg and twists left?

As long as she twists the same direction on her forward and backward skills, I don't see this as a problem. There are minuscule number of skills (like, two or three in the entire sport) for which this makes any difference.
She twists the same direction for forwards and back - leftie.

Why then would a coach get so stuck on this?

Each coach has their own different big bears and different skills they get hung up on.

It often comes from a specific problem we may have experienced from a specific gymnast.

Each coach has their own different big bears and different skills they get hung up on.

It often comes from a specific problem we may have experienced from a specific gymnast.
Haha this is def a big hang up. It bothers him a lot that she does it on other skills that aren’t his events (leaps on beam for example). Like this is a huge pet peeve

Here are a couple of gymnasts that are different.

Simone Biles - Right roundoff with left twist...

Grace MacCallum - Left roundoff with right twist...

As long as she twists the same direction on her forward and backward skills

I've always believed this as well... but I am starting to wonder if there is even a reason for this? In the world of WAG... things like a 1/2 in 1/2 out are very rare. I've now worked with quite a few upper level gymnasts at camps that have opposite twisting directions and not even one of the coaches picked up on it.

How about this... Jade Carey is a left leg roundoff and a right leg front handspring... see it at 1:58...

Here are a couple of gymnasts that are different.

Simone Biles - Right roundoff with left twist...

Grace MacCallum - Left roundoff with right twist...

This seems like an exceptionally odd thing to get hung up on in this case - she can’t change her twisting direction and she can’t change her round off

And for the MAG crowd... here is a righty left...

How about this... Jade Carey is a left leg roundoff and a right leg front handspring... see it at 1:58...

My son is like this!!!! (can't remember which leg leads on which skill, but I know he leads with different legs. )

Here is a conversation from Gymnaverse as well...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back