Update on Missing Kip!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

htimcj

Proud Parent
First, thanks for listening to my vent! I don't want my frustrations to spill over to DD8 so this is a nice place to say it:) AND I am happy to report that DD got her kip again today 5 or 6 times AND with straight arms at that! I think this time they should be here to stay at least mostly :)
Thanks again for the support and comments!

Congrats! That has been our most difficult skill / event to date. Not to mention the addition of grips this Summer.

This has been one of the harder skills for sure although the pull over gave us fits for a while. DD8 is tiny especially when she was learning the pull over. Another one of those I didn't think she would ever get but at least with that one, once she got it, she got it none of this here one day gone the next :)The grips have been a challenge for DD as well. She says the bars just feel weird now. Plus it turns out the holes were really too big for her fingers so the grips would slip around a lot and cause problems. Her head coach noticed it on Friday and told us how to fix it. She used them today and found it A LOT better and easier to use them.

How tiny is tiny? Mine is just over 4ft making her the smallest on the team. She is also a DD8 :)

Sounds like a large part of the problem were the grips. Since she has to shift her wrists during the kip, its not good to have the grips sliding off.

I do think a lot of it was the grips not fitting properly. Glad that the head coach saw it and told us how to fix it. She'll be a lot happier jumping to the high bar now that they don't slid around!

She's 4' 3" and the last three inches have been in the last year and inch this summer alone. She'll be 9 in October. She's still the smallest girl on gym!

Glad your DD got her kip back! My DD is training Level 7, is 9 years old, and hates grips. She tried them for a couple of weeks just on tap swings & could not stand them. She still does not wear grips and does fine on her giants, free hips, etc. Her hands are small, and her coach said he prefers her to not wear them because it makes the bar even harder to grip. She is about the same size as your DD (4feet 4inches), so maybe she can choose to not wear them if the grips are the reason why she is struggling. A couple of other girls on DD's team wear grips and do fine, but the smallest girls are not allowed to wear them because their hands are TINY. (They are all training Lvl 7, but are not doing the harder skills quite yet like DD.) Her teammates are 7, 8, & 9 years old. (There are only 5 girls on her team, my DD is the tallest but 2nd oldest.) Your DD will figure it out! Good luck to your DD!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back