WAG Uptraining. What is it ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We up train at our gym, regardless of level/age. The competitive girls (age 9+ here) finish their competitive season for the most part in a couple of weeks at provincial championships (similar to your states). Our gym holds a large invitational the first weekend of May, and many girls (but not all) are ready to try the next level, as a prep for next fall's season.

For the under 9 set, they compete at the invitationals at whichever level they have all the skills for consistently, even though they may have numerous skills at higher levels, but not all.

Eg. DD "got" her layout half, but will only compete a layout. She's working RO BT dismount on beam, but will compete cartwheel BT. She'll do a handspring vault, but has been doing sets and drills for tsuks and yurchenkos, but I don't expect she'll compete either of those for 1+ years. It's what keeps her excited at practice.

They don't give up conditioning for this, doing that for a full hour of each 4hr practice

Something that's normally found in men's gymnastics, but she has the strength to do it. Apart from that as a very vague description, it's not my place to say any more. ;-)

We will have to wait to see her do it at the olympics!

We uptrain like mad. Otherwise practices would be a snorefest for everyone. I want to see clean basics, then I want to see clenan skills in the context of their routines, then I want to work on stuff for the next level, then I want to see that connected to said clean basics.

There are days that I'll work a deduction free backhandspring or a deduction free shape jump until we're all bored to tears, because you need those forever (seriously don't give away anything on bhs or tuck jumps in level 8 what is this garbage) but I want them stretching their air awareness all the time or they get floppy.

Our gym does alot also.... I know my DD is level 4 and up trains to L6,7 and I believe some 8 skills.

Like work them like dogs 18 hours a week and the girls drag butt out of there smiling :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back