WAG USAIGC vs USAG?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have been in gymnastics for a while now, but it have never fully understood the difference between the USAG and USAIGC programs. Also, can someone in USAIGC make nationals or the Olympics? :) sorry if this is unclear.

USAIGC and USAG are too different bodies of gymnastics with different requirements and different values. USAG is the main governing body of gymnastics in the US and the body from which our national team and Olympians are pulled from.
USAIGC was designed to be a college bound gymnastics program. IGC doesn't have compulsory levels. All USAIGC routines at all levels are optional and USAIGC has less training hour requirements than USAG. A lot of gyms seem to use USAIGC with their rec team gymnasts.
USAIGC levels are copper-platinum while the USAG Jr Olympic program is the traditional level 1-10 we are all familiar with.
I think USAIGC is a good program, but doesn't seem to have the "cred" it deserves.
As far as college; it is intended to be a college bound program. Olympic? No, I do not believe so.

I have been in gymnastics for a while now, but it have never fully understood the difference between the USAG and USAIGC programs. Also, can someone in USAIGC make nationals or the Olympics? :) sorry if this is unclear.

1. USA Gymnastics, USAIGC, YMCA, SOKOL, TURNERS, AAU, PARK DISTRICT...all organizations that offer gymnastics.

2. yes, you can make/qualify to USAIGC nationals sanctioned by USAIGC following their system of qualification. of course, you can't qualify to some other organizations Nationals unless you are a member of and qualify in their system. there is no crossover if that's what you're wondering.

3. no. you can not make an Olympic Team unless you are in the USA Gymnastics system. USA Gymnastics is the National Governing Body for all things gymnastics in the United States. the USOC is the Olympic Governing Body for all Olympic sports in the United States. the USOC grants the charter for Olympic Gymnastics (as well as the other gymnastics disciplines) to USA Gymnastics.

1. You need to be with USA gymnastics to go to the Olympics.
2. In USAIGC, the coach decides to move you up. There is no score to be reached. You could get a 28 all around score and the coach could still move you up. Like someone else said, it's a college bound program. There is less training hours than USAG, but there are gyms who DONT use USAG and their hours far extend the recommended hours for USAIGC. The levels have names similar to Xcel. Copper is equal to USAG 3-4, Bronze 5-6, Silver 6-7, Gold is like 8 1/2, platinum 9, premier 10. Also in this organization you see a wider range of ages. I like this program a lot.
Out of all the other organizations, this and AAU are the more popular.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back