Parents VENT-Ridiculous favoritism for HC's DD

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am sorry it is like that at your gym. I just want to say that one of the owners of our gym has SEVERAL very talented daughters who train there, and we are lucky that she and the co-owner (who is the head coach) make a point to not favour her girls.

I would be in search of a new gym if there was no one else at the current gym who could address the issues.

And I would also make it clear the reason that I was leaving.

So hard....

Our HC also has 3 daughters on team. I think, if you came and watched a practice, you would be hard pressed to figure out who they were based on how they're treated, except maybe that she is harder on them (though she swears this isn't true). There was some of this going on at DD's first gym (though never to this extent) and it did make me crazy. One of many reasons we're not there anymore.

I, for one, would hate to have to balance coaching my daughter and mothering my daughter. They're both difficult enough tasks on their own. To combine the two would be very difficult. The best thing about knowing very little about gymnastics (other than what I've learned on CB) is that I can just be the cheerleader. My DD is always correcting me... I'll buy a picture at a meet and think that she looks great and she'll be like, "That leg is supposed to be straight and my arms are supposed to be like this..." Whatever. I still think she looks great. There are benefits to cluelessness.

I, for one, would hate to have to balance coaching my daughter and mothering my daughter. They're both difficult enough tasks on their own. To combine the two would be very difficult.
I do it with soccer, and you just hold to a simple rule - at practice, I'm your coach and not your parent; at home, I'm your parent and not your coach.

The best thing about knowing very little about gymnastics (other than what I've learned on CB) is that I can just be the cheerleader. My DD is always correcting me... I'll buy a picture at a meet and think that she looks great and she'll be like, "That leg is supposed to be straight and my arms are supposed to be like this..." Whatever. I still think she looks great. There are benefits to cluelessness.
Definitely a benefit to being parent only.

I'll buy a picture at a meet and think that she looks great and she'll be like, "That leg is supposed to be straight and my arms are supposed to be like this..." Whatever. I still think she looks great.

Haha...this happens all the time w/ me and DD! I don't think I've ever got a picture where she couldn't find some "deduction" in it...lol... She always tells me to make sure that the coaches don't see them when I'm using them as wallpaper on my phone.

I coach my daughter, but in soccer. I definitely don't favor her. If anything, I might go the other way, but I don't think I do that either. It's hard because she truly is the best on the soccer team, so I start her in every game and she sees a lot of playing time. I always worry that the other parents will think I am favoring her, but the comments I get seem to be good. For example, since she is a starter, I never start her for the second half. She is on the bench. And there have been times when people have said, "How come Jenny didn't start the second half?" So I feel like I am getting the balance ok.

And then there was a time when she scored a gorgeous goal, but she was off-sides. The coach of the other team saw it, but the ref didn't. I spoke right up and said, "Yes, she was offsides. No goal." Man, was my kid pissed at me! But it was the right thing to do.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back