WAG walking in bridge?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

In NZ the step 1 floor routine has a bridge in. Then in step 2 it is a bridge kick-over. I would say most step 1 kids would be 5-7 years old. I don't see bridges here before 5 though.

I certainly wouldn't advise any adult doing one, lol! Kids...at out gym, if they aren't level 1 ( at least 5) they do not do them.

the physical readiness has to be assessed on an individual basis. some kids are ready at 6, but most not it. and yes, it has to to with muscles, bones, tendons, etc; and that the surrounding spinal structures are strong enough to support the articulation of the spine in to this extreme end position.:)

I haven't gone to the most recent preschool HOT course (or whatever we're calling those now) but word on the street was that they changed their age limit to "whenever the individual is physically and emotionally ready to do it properly." Personally I'd say most kids seem physically and mentally ready to do a momentary (5 second) bridge hold at 6 to me, but NOT to do back bend or back walkover. Or bridge walks for that matter.

the physical readiness has to be assessed on an individual basis. some kids are ready at 6, but most not it. and yes, it has to to with muscles, bones, tendons, etc; and that the surrounding spinal structures are strong enough to support the articulation of the spine in to this extreme end position.:)

Is this something a coach can evaluate in a normal gym setting? This reply seems so medical-oriented that it seems like you'd have to have the kid undergo an MRI to be confident! LOL

What is recommended by KAT and what TOPs is in mind are completely different things...sort of.

I mean we are talking about kids with ideally the genetics to be Elite, not Mary in the 4-6yo kinder/school age program who might do prep-op or fizzle out in compulsory some day.

well, you hope most coaches know what to look for.:)

As a rather inexperienced coach of pre-school and rec classes, what should I be looking for in terms of readiness? I would hate to teach any of my kids anything unsafe, but also wouldn't want to hold them back if they are ready.

well, you hope most coaches know what to look for.:)

Yes, one might hope but if I've learned anything here, it is that some coaches are not as well trained as others. :-( And it's feels like the more inexperienced coaches are the ones teaching the little bitties.....

I find all the nuances of good coaching to be so fascinating.

Arm length - elbow reaches top of head - this will discount overall most preschoolers anyway. No backward roll, no bridge.

Neck/head control - how do they do sit ups, do they go side to side etc, does their head fall back if they are pulled gently by the wrists to "sit up" - again will discount most kids under 4, they cannot do sit ups with a straightforward motion.

Able to do the following: hold inverted stomach to wall (walk up "handstand") for 10 seconds in a straight position, chin hang on bar for 5 seconds at least, again able to push over in backward roll down cheese

These are the main things I look at to evaluate readiness. My preschool curriculum does not include bridges except a supported "bridge" shape over a circular object. I will test some older kids to see if they can push to bridge by themselves but we do not do holds or kickovers.

As a rather inexperienced coach of pre-school and rec classes, what should I be looking for in terms of readiness? I would hate to teach any of my kids anything unsafe, but also wouldn't want to hold them back if they are ready.

If I were to consider a back bend as a skill, rather than a means of working back flexibility, I'd choose to ignore it while more usefull skills are being developed. I'd go back to teaching the skill once the kids have hit the golden age of 6, developed some core strength, and sense of core awareness and balance. By waiting and developing other skills you're going to simplify and shorten the learning process for the backbend and the back walkover......and possibly avoid them getting the idea that a back handspring is a flying backbend.

As far as holding them back is concerned.........just keep teaching and helping them learn skills the right way, and you'll be doing fine. I don't know what to tell you when it comes time to move from L3 to L4, but do the best you can to avoid backbends and bridges until they're physically/skeletally mature enough to do them, and age is a pretty good measurement to use.

I'll tell you one thing about being an experienced coach.....the longer you do this, the more you realize how little you know. Evaluating the readiness of kids under the age of six, and for some older kids, is going to be mostly an educated guess that most of us have no genuine education for, so don't feel like you've got to figure it out.

Thanks gymdog and iwannacoach...that really helps and makes me feel a little better. I also feel a little better that some of the "prerequisites" gymdog stated I already use...albeit accidentally :p

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back