Parents Wanting to branch out or nearing the end of gymnastics and doesn't realize it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD is in the same boat...does she continue on with gymnastics or quit and do HS sports? Gymnastics is her passion but not her talent. She just finished her 2nd season of L8 and will graduate from 8th grade next month. She's not a strong gym performer...always gets some medals but she's at the bottom of the pack at her competitive gym. She has a hard time acquiring skills/takes alot of time, and that's been impacted by multiple (but not career ending) injuries over the past two years. But she's injury free right now. DD has been able to continue to play soccer (dropped club soccer in 6th grade due to gym so just does higher level rec team) but only because the soccer coach allows her to skip practice entirely and play games around gym schedule. I really don't know how kids train in gym 24 hrs/week and meet other sports' commitments otherwise. DD also would be interested in cross country if no gym. At our small HS, she would be able to do both CC and soccer, and training starts this summer...but... the girl STILL wants to try for L9! I hate for her to give up the opportunity to meet new friends at the start of HS through sports (she is coming from a small private school joining a HS where most kids already know one another). But yet, as a mom, I will never tell her she should give up on her dream of being a 'higher level optional' simply because her natural athletic talent lies elsewhere...because it's not all about winning; it's about working hard and doing your best. How can I discourage her efforts to do just that? We have discussed the pros/cons of continuing in gym past this summer, vs. 'moving on'. Right now, she's giving herself until August to get all L9 skills and if she doesn't have them, she says she'll retire from gym and move on to HS sports. I believe she'll have the skills in some shape/form (she has many now) but not competition worthy; if that happens, I suspect she'll give up freshman year sports (and the acclimating to HS that would come with that) for even a chance at L9. I have made peace with it. Even at a small HS here (less competitive sports divisions), it's just not possible to do HS sports and gym. Both practice every school day during the season (also, HS sports have preseason, though she could miss that and theoretically still make the team). Tough stuff. Advice appreciated from 'been there done that' parents!
Update,DD has decided with help of HC to do Xcel diamond. We had a private talk and HC said not only is she not progressing, she is losing skills. She stated she has no idea what to do with her. It worries me that HC has never coached higher than L 8. My DD would have been the guinea pig. So maybe for the best. Every other kid that has moved on seems to have done great at other gyms,but my daughter has so little confidence in gymnastics anymore she will never move gyms. Coach or gymnast I guess we will never know.

Update,DD has decided with help of HC to do Xcel diamond. We had a private talk and HC said not only is she not progressing, she is losing skills. She stated she has no idea what to do with her. It worries me that HC has never coached higher than L 8. My DD would have been the guinea pig. So maybe for the best. Every other kid that has moved on seems to have done great at other gyms,but my daughter has so little confidence in gymnastics anymore she will never move gyms. Coach or gymnast I guess we will never know.
I think Diamond is the right place given everything you have shared.
Like L7, she only needs 5 A and 2 B skills per event… BUT she can do C skills and up to one D skill per event… AND she can do harder vaults if she wants. (Example: a non flipping / non-twisting Yurchenko has a 9.6 SV and if she can at least do a full twist, without flipping or no twist with flipping, it is worth a 10.0).

I think Diamond is the right place given everything you have shared.
Like L7, she only needs 5 A and 2 B skills per event… BUT she can do C skills and up to one D skill per event… AND she can do harder vaults if she wants. (Example: a non flipping / non-twisting Yurchenko has a 9.6 SV and if she can at least do a full twist, without flipping or no twist with flipping, it is worth a 10.0).
Yep, I think you are right. She has a pike tsuk but no Yuri yet. Is a Yuri without a flip like the timers they do up to a mat but landed instead? She has been training front, fronts also but I haven't seen them. She said into some type of pit mat but once she had what was according to her one of those falls that doesn't really hurt but makes the rest if the gym freak. I think it's going to be a while before she does it again. She flips well but can't find herself in the air when twisting.

Yep, I think you are right. She has a pike tsuk but no Yuri yet. Is a Yuri without a flip like the timers they do up to a mat but landed instead? She has been training front, fronts also but I haven't seen them. She said into some type of pit mat but once she had what was according to her one of those falls that doesn't really hurt but makes the rest if the gym freak. I think it's going to be a while before she does it again. She flips well but can't find herself in the air when twisting.
tsuks and yurchenkos are worth the same

Good luck to your DD...glad that xcel is an option for her!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back