Wedgies- the rear end kind ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymGirl's Mom

Proud Parent
Hello, and HELP! My DD is wedgie prone in her leotards. If she wears undies, sometimes it helps, sometimes it makes it worse. Some undies hang out the leg holes no matter what we do to hide it. She has gone commando under her leotard and sometimes this works, sometimes not. The only thing we hove found to work most of the time she can really only do at practice: small "granny panty" type undies and then velvet shorts over the leotard. She can't do this in competition- she needs to have the leo only. She has tried on her comp leo both with undies and without and there it is-- wedgie after a cartwheel, movement, etc. It is not a brand/type issue, nor a leotard size issue that I can see. She owns approx 12 leos-- all different brands GK, Snowflake, Alpha Factor, Rebecca's Mom, Motionwear-- and a variety of sizes too-- nothing works--- ahhhhh!!!!

I have looked online and both GK and Alpha Factor sell competition undies. But, because they are cut for competition leos- they all look small in the butt and like they might exacerbate the problem. I need advice about which brand is the best. Have you tried them... do they work??? Do they help??? What do you (or your child) do/wear during competition? At this point, for the upcoming meet she will wears no undies- I am tempted to get some Miss. America butt glue and see if that works--- hahaha... I have heard they use that stuff in pageants, but no idea if it's really real ;)

My daughter wears the GK panties. She has them in the flesh color and the black to wear depending on the leo. She has maybe 2 leos, both Illusions that the panties will sometimes peak out of at the panty line, but since they are skin colored you really have to look to notice. Under GK and Rebecca's Mom leos which are her favorite they don't show at all.

My daughter wears all her leos as a competition fit just for reference. She cannot stand if a leo is baggy at all. Everything must be skin tight with no wrinkles.

My DD has tried the different types of "butt" blue, but I think at L7 and above, with all those tumbling moves, there's just so much that butt glue can do (as in, it doesn't work). It may work for L4 and 5's tho....

I HAVE heard that toupee tape works wonders, and we may resort to that this year. We are at our wit's end as well..... these Alpha Factor leos just don't work if you have a rear!

I HAVE heard that toupee tape works wonders, and we may resort to that this year. We are at our wit's end as well..... these Alpha Factor leos just don't work if you have a rear!

Lol, I get a lot of wedgies too, but I think it's because I have a very small butt, so there's like... nothing to grab onto lol. My teammate is very little, pretty straight up and down, and she gets a wedgies a lot too :/

So far I haven't found anything that works, except sometimes if you squeeze your butt, it'll kinda stay in place better. Who knew staying tight could be useful :rolleyes: I usually don't wear underwear, just because it's a hassle trying to keep it in place. They really need to start making the butts on leotards custom-made.

Here's what I've learnt from my DD. A snug-fitting leo rarely gets wedgies. One with 'room to grow' gets wedgies in direct proportion to how much growing room there is. In other words I've leraned to buy toddler size no matter how counter-intuitive it feels buying for a 6 y/o.
Have you thought of opening the leg seams and either shortening the elastic (making the legs tighter so they can't ride up/in) or replacing it with smaller/stretchier elastic (to get the same efect)??

i used the GK underwear with my comp. leo for a while and actually last march i got a pair of seemless skin colored underwear from vistoria's secret ( you can get practically anywhere though) for like $5 and they work extremely well! another thing my gym does is butt-glue. lol the only issue with that is that you can use the bathroom very easily during comps. :p haha my competition leo is alpha-factor right now and it doesn't even like fit my butt completely because they cut theirs very weirdly but the underwear i use now works really well with the leo... idk if this will help you or not though :p hope it does!

My DD wore her leo without undies for the competitions. For training, she wears high-cut dance undies so that they don't show. She doesn't have many problems with leotards riding up, it only happened badly with one leo that wasn't a good fit. The leos that fit her well don't tend to ride up much.

Thanks everyone- we have tried smaller, tighter fitting leos but DD has a long torso, short legs and big shoulders. Smaller leos pull too much and hurt her shoulders and at the armholes (is this weird??) the armholes.

I am going to check Victoria's secret for those seamless undies- I think half her prob is feeling the extra crotch seams at her butt (sorry if this is TMI) she is 7-- but may just fit into an XS for undies there... or maybe if they make an XXS... I am 36 it's been a while since I shopped at Victoria's Secret ;)

As for tightening the leg holes, if I had any skill with spandex and a sewing machine I would try this. My fear is that I will ruin the comp leo and have to buy ANOTHER- eek!

Thanks for all the advice!

GK undies work GREAT for my DD. She is 5 and has absolutely no wedgie problems. They may be considered expensive (about $20), but I only purchased 1 pair and I keep handwashing them each night (3 nights/week). It only takes a moment to do! They are very well made and she has worn them for a year now and probably has another couple of months before I need to purchase another pair. :D

They sell Tough Skin on ten-o.com.. I've never tried it, but my teammate has it and she thinks it works well. I also have the GK briefs. They do give me wedgies sometimes, but it's better than having my whole leo up my butt :rolleyes: They also make different cuts in their briefs I'm pretty sure, so maybe a different cut could work. GOOD LUCK!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back