Parents Weekly Schedule

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Your hours are CRAZY! We are located in NJ, and while we are not considered an "Elite" gym or have a TOPS program, we are proud of our L5 team coming in #3 this year! We do not do those hours, we do about 15 /week for our 5/6's. I am not sure what our 4's do, maybe about 13. But, our schedule works for us, my DD loves being at the gym, but does other activities. This schedule allows her to do it all with no regrets. I know your DD does TOPS so maybe that is why the extra hours?

Oppsie, back to schedual topic...Our gym is only about 8 min away so this is a HUGE help with me being able to maintain the crazy schedule I have with my other 2 kids and thankful we have some great gym friends/moms. Especially on weekends the girls especially love their BFF time as soon as they leave the gym & always seem to have plans made by p/up time, LOL
Yes, since she's a TOPS girl as well, lots of extra training and practice and conditioning comes with the territory, so YES alot of the reason for alot of the hours is because she's in TOPS. Her crazy summer hours is all because she's in TOPS.

Alot of the girls are homeschooled and she is on a modified homeschooling program, hence her 25 hrs. a week at the gym now. TOPS is done so it's all about preparing for the competition season. Since she's a modified homeschooler, she does go more hours than her teammates who go there at night.
You are so lucky you are 8 min. away from your gym. Our old gym we were like 6 min. away. It was wonderful. Now we're about 18 min. :( Best of luck to you! :)

I'm so glad I'm not the only one with a crazy schedule! My youngest dd is 9, and she is the one who does gymnastics. She goes from 5:00pm to 8:30pm on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. She does girl scouts once per month on Fridays after school until 4:30pm. Then, in between, she is playing lots of different CYO sports through our church this year. Those usually practice about an hour and a half 2x per week with a game once or maybe twice per week. Starting in 4th grade they have the option to play many things so of course she wants to try it all. She did kickball when school started until October. She also ran cross country which just ended this weekend. Now she is playing basketball, but that's a very short season. It will be over after the 1st week of November. Then nothing else until January, if I let her do volleyball until March and then track in the spring. Plus, she's been telling me she wants to try soccer again, so we might drop spring/summer softball and do soccer instead. She didn't have all the other sports stuff last year, but she did gymnastics and swim team, which basically had her busy most days of the week except for Wednesdays and Sundays. She says she misses swimming and wishes she was still doing it this year, but I told her no way. It's either the other sports or swimming. There's not enough time in the day and not enough of her to go around to do it all.

We are in NY/NJ area and DD is level 4. They trained 20 hours/wk during summer and 15 hrs since the season started, plus privates here and there. Looking at her now and comparing it to what she could do a few months ago when she joined the gym, it's night and day, so it seems that any less hours would not be enough.

I wanted to add that the program that my dd does only practices 10 hrs a week. They range in level from A to D which is equivelant to USAG level 4 through 7. They all practice together and while their hours are limited, there are some very talented gymnasts on this team. Our Level D gymnast scored a 36.70 AA at our mock meet this past weekend. Not bad for a girl who only trains 10 hrs a week!!

I wanted to add that the program that my dd does only practices 10 hrs a week. They range in level from A to D which is equivelant to USAG level 4 through 7. They all practice together and while their hours are limited, there are some very talented gymnasts on this team. Our Level D gymnast scored a 36.70 AA at our mock meet this past weekend. Not bad for a girl who only trains 10 hrs a week!!

I know this is a tad bit off topic because it's not about MY schedule, but schedules in general but . . . i definitely believe that training smarter, not harder is a good philosophy for all gymnasts. Playing "devil's advocate" again.... i just wonder if some coaches out there bump up those hours because the parents want to say their daughter/son trains xyz no. of hours, or maybe it makes the gym look very competitive? Hmmmm.... especially when there are so many gyms who "only" train 20 hrs or so at Level 10, and those gymnasts are very successful.

I actually thought about it quite a bit, as i mentioned my DD improved so much since she joined our current gym and I am not sure what did it for her, granted, the coaches are amazing, she is absolutely in love with them, plus they do conditioning every session and train harder skills (not at this point as our competition season is about to start), but the question does pop up in my head from time to time about the number of hours

If you would like, my little lovers of going off topic, you could start a new thread specifically to discuss training hours versus quality f coaching. It certainly is an interesting issue to ponder.

This thread is starting to slide again, and I hate giving infractions.

If you would like, my little lovers of going off topic, you could start a new thread specifically to discuss training hours versus quality f coaching. It certainly is an interesting issue to ponder.

This thread is starting to slide again, and I hate giving infractions.

Sorry Bog... I am soooo guilty of this!!! It's my ADD... I just start to ramble and the conversation just takes a turn somewhere along the line!

Our schedule is crazy too. My girls are 7 and 9 in the 1st and 4th grades and my son is 12 in 7th grade.

Mon - both girls: gym 4-7, dance 7:15-8
Tues - DS12 - basketball practice 6:30 am, girls gym 4-7
Wed - DD9 basketball practice 3:30-4:40 then gym till 7, DD7 gym 4-7, both girls: ballet 7:30-8:15
Thurs - DS12 - bball practice 6:30 am, both girls: gym 4-8
Fri - both girls: gym 4-7

This is just our set schedule and doesn't include jr high bball games which start next week, volleyball games - which-thankfully-are almost over, or elementary bball games that start in November.

LOL TQM..that is so me too. I start responding to the thread with every intention of staying on topic..but somehow it just wanders away from me before Im done..lol

This is my 9 year old DD's schedule:
School - leaves the house at 6:50 and gets off the bus at 2:45, unless I pick her up (which I do on Wednesday's)
Monday - Gymnastics 3:30-7:15
Tuesday - Gymnastics 3:30-7:15
Wednesday - Gymnastics 3:15 - 4:45, private ballet 5:00 - 6:00
Thursday - Gymnastics 3:30-7:15
Friday - OFF!
Saturday - 9:00 - 1:00
Sunday - OFF

My DD is in TOPs & Level 7, so there isn't time for anything else. She tried Girl Scouts for one meeting & afterwards said "Mom, we do not have time for this." She is one smart cookie. I will be pulling her out to home school as of December so she has more time in the gym. When she was practicing for TOPs National testing the schedule was worse. I was pulling her from school early on Wednesday's & Friday's.

My 11 year old DS's schedule:
Monday - Boy Scouts
Thursday - Tennis

I am amazed at how our kids schedules dictate our schedules, but we go with it. They are doing something they love, and that is what matters. Everyone pitches in at home & we get the job done. I recently found out I am pregnant, so the next child is definitely going to live in the car!! ;)

I'll add mine. This year our crazy schedule really increased. DD (12) has always done a lot of noncompetitive dance, but ds#1 (9) joined travel soccer, and ds#2 (6) joined team. Dd gets picked up from school at 3, ds1 rides the bus and gets home at 4:20, ds2 is half day K and gets home at 11:55.

Monday: dd dance 7-8 (easy day!)
Tuesday: dd dance 5-7, ds1 soccer 5:30-7, ds2 gymnastics 5:30-7:30 (crazy day!)
Wed: dd dance 5-7, dd1 flag football 6-7:15
Thurs: just ds1 soccer 5:30-7 (another easy day!)
Friday: dd dance 4:15-6:15, ds2 gymnastics 4:30-6:30 and sometimes open gym after
Sat: dd dance 10-11, ds2 gymnastics 9-11, ds1 flag football game
Sun: ds's sunday school 9:15-12, ds1 soccer game

Never thought I would be so scheduled! Sometimes getting them all there and back is a scheduling nightmare. I am wondering about modified homeschool for ds2 if he really keeps up with gymnastics because our school day here is really long.

Never thought I would be so scheduled! Sometimes getting them all there and back is a scheduling nightmare. I am wondering about modified homeschool for ds2 if he really keeps up with gymnastics because our school day here is really long.
NOt sure if you read my response in here somewhere LOL But my DD does modified homeschooling. She only does it twice a week but it's a HUGE help!! We would do it more, but unfortunately she misses math everyday which is one of her weaker subjects (and mine!!). So hopefully next year if they do math earlier we can do the modified more. :) In our school, it wasn't an easy thing to do. I had to write a letter to the superintendent which needed to be approved, etc. But i'm glad it worked out as those two days she's at the gym off-hours and is done by 6:30 and 7:00pm instead of 8pm and 8:30. Good luck to you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back