What are some fun activities to help develop flexibility?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was wondering what some fun games, challenges or activities I could do to help develop flexibility in a recreational class. Usually we just sit in a circle and stretch but I was hopeing that I could come up with something new and more interesting for the group. If you have any activities could you also say what age and level they would be appropriate for. Thank you for your help.

With pre school classes we do many different ways of stretching in a fun way. Here are a few examples:

- Stand in straddle put hands of hips and tip side to side (stretching out your sides) and sing: tick tock tick tock, I'm a great big coo coo clock, tick tock, tick tock

- sitting in pike scoop up some "peanut butter" and put it all over your legs, then get some jelly and rub it all over your belly, then reach up and squish the sandwich together, after squished together eat it all up and wipe away the crumbs

- Also sitting in a pike, but this time with everybody's toes touching in the middle make a "pizza". Roll out the dough, then put on the sauce then cheese, then go around the circle asking each kid what they want to put on the pizza (you may get some wacky answers like ice cream, candy, once a kid even wanted a bed on the pizza) then after you go around the whole circle, put the pizza in the oven by reaching for you toes and count down from 10, then you blow off the pizza and eat it up!

- For winding up your ankles, you can wind them up, getting tighter and tighter then let them go crazy, like a wind up car would.

Hope these help, I have a few more in you want some.
I do these with 2-6 year olds.

lol...it was tongue in cheek. it's that use of the word "fun". there's nothing fun about flexibility no matter how you disguise it.:) when the kids go home screaming about this and that and state how much the coaches killed me today cause the stretching brought me "pain" everywhere, i guess the coach can then say "well, they were participating in a "fun activity" that promotes flexibility."

Last edited by a moderator:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back