Anon What are the warning signs that a gym is imploding?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Cmom

Proud Parent
We are at a smallish but successful gym where many coaches seem to be leaving - both team and rec. When the coaches leave they seem to leave in clusters. The remaining coaches are managing the best that they can but groups aren't ideal and they are scrambling to find coaches. Plenty of gym options in the area. Would you stay or move on?

What are the warning signs?

Could be several things...
  • wages / benefits too low
  • culture of the gym / work environment not good
  • changes in ownership / management (could just be that new ownership is looking for different things to improve the business)
  • other (higher paying / easier / better hours) jobs in the area... not necessarily gymnastics related
Coaches are very hard to find and will be for a long time... maybe forever.

What are the warning signs?

Could be several things...
  • wages / benefits too low
  • culture of the gym / work environment not good
  • changes in ownership / management (could just be that new ownership is looking for different things to improve the business)
  • other (higher paying / easier / better hours) jobs in the area... not necessarily gymnastics related
Coaches are very hard to find and will be for a long time... maybe forever.

No idea about wages and benefits. I'm concerned that so many may be leaving due to management since management did change recently. We are in a large metro area and the coaches seem to be well connected, so hoping they will find coaches. It seems that the issue is around retention. I'm hoping this difficulty is temporary but I'm worried that it may not be.

Might be worthwhile finding out if it has been taken over by the powers group and have a bit of search here for all the issues team parents have experienced. Getting out before the rush while other gyms still have space may be less stressful in that instance.

I would check out some other clubs.

In the last 2 years we lost 3 of our 5 coaches and none were hired - mgmt. is still looking (to be fair 1 coach retired, 1 changed gyms and 1 moved). We just left the gym even though we loved the 2 remaining coaches. My daughter was in tears too often due to not enough reps on equipment b/c there were 10 or 12 girls and 1 coach. It used to be no more than 6-7 girls to 1 coach.

My daughters skills started to stagnate. First I thought maybe it was her but then trying out at other clubs she quickly picked up 2 skills.... to her it was the difference of a bit more attention. Not our coaches fault - you can only pay so much attention to each girl when the ratio is off.

We are going to a gym with a 6:1 ratio.

I would check out some other clubs.

In the last 2 years we lost 3 of our 5 coaches and none were hired - mgmt. is still looking (to be fair 1 coach retired, 1 changed gyms and 1 moved). We just left the gym even though we loved the 2 remaining coaches. My daughter was in tears too often due to not enough reps on equipment b/c there were 10 or 12 girls and 1 coach. It used to be no more than 6-7 girls to 1 coach.

My daughters skills started to stagnate. First I thought maybe it was her but then trying out at other clubs she quickly picked up 2 skills.... to her it was the difference of a bit more attention. Not our coaches fault - you can only pay so much attention to each girl when the ratio is off.

We are going to a gym with a 6:1 ratio.
Thanks for this advice. My daughter is young so I feel like we can give it a bit of time, but I can’t help but wonder if this gym is always going to struggle with being understaffed. The gym we are at is known for its gymnasts’ outstanding form and having low coach to gymnast ratios. However, the gym is having so many staffing issues now that I am concerned the coaching will suffer.

There is another successful gym nearby that seems to be adored by gymnasts, coaches, and parents. They are a newer gym and have very few level tens. Their form seems decent and they are pretty competitive in a competitive region but they lack the excellence of our current gym. I really don’t want to leave but I also can’t wait for a new coach forever. My biggest fear is we leave and my daughter misses out on being a part of a gym with exceptional athletes and coaches. My other fear is that we stay and end up scrambling for a placement later on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Such a cool transition! 🤩

2024 Gymnastics For All GymFest

Back