Parents What did your children achieve this year in the Gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Great thread!

Dd#1 - spent the summer working through fears and emotional issues and making very little progress skill wise. Since then she has gotten almost all of her level 7 skills and even won floor at her first meet and got 3rd on beam (she hates beam). I am so proud of her for working through the mental side of the sport and still loving it. I really thought she was going to quit.

Dd#2 - moved up a group and has gotten her kip and BHS. I think she will start competing next year as she has the major skills for that already (needs polishing I assume though). Only time will tell, but she seems to have more natural ability than my older dd and seems to love it just as much. This is unfortunate for our bank account though.

My DD moved to L2 team. She is doing some uptraining. She has her BHS on tramp. She got her press handstand earlier in the year. She is currently working on her kip and cartwheel on beam. She got 1st AA at her first meet and 4th AA at her second meet. She's loving being a gymnast right now!

My DD has matured as a person dramatically. She turned 8 and seemed to quickly change emotionally, mentally and boy she got strong!

Skills: went from level 5 last year to level 7 this year and made TOPS National Team. SKills are too long to list but the ones she was most proud of are BHS on beam, FH to handstand and double back and double front on rod floor into the pit. She likes the tumbling but is motivated mostly by bars, just loves to swing bars:) Oh, she also got front and back stalders and is trying to get her stalder to handstand. ( I think I am calling it the right thing)

DS is a level 4 and got his BHS on floor and just did his first in locate on Monday. I think he is getting the gym bug, but cant tell how serious he is about it all just yet. Time will tell.

Academically I am over the moon for both of my kids. My DD picked up long division like she born to do it, makes 3rd grade much smoother for us both:)

THANKS for letting us brag on our kids. I am so proud of the gymmies on this board, pretty great stuff going on here:)

2012 has been amazing year for DD and it is great to see so many other gymmies on this thread having great years as well. We made the big gym move this past summer it was scary -- hard for both of us to leave our friends at the other gym. It's been the right move. In the last 6 months she's got her giants, FH to HS on high bar, pirouette, bwo-bhs on beam, RO BT dismount on beam, full on floor, tsuk on vault and finally her press-ups from the floor. I'm exhausted just thinking about it! But best of all my little gymmy is again experiencing a love for gymnastics that had waned a little last year. More than anything I just want her to be happy. Happy holidays everyone!

Jaks, you asked the size of my six year old daughter. I don't "speak" metric, but she is 48 inches tall and 45 lbs. Isn't two stone only 28 lbs? Your daughter must be teenie! And I always thought mine was small. My other two kids are 95th percentile so my 6 year old is tiny in comparison, she is only 5 lbs heavier and 1 shoe size bigger than her little brother who is three.

I don't know my dd's exact weight in lb's but she must be around 28-31lbs, she is small for her age and slim. She is in the bottom Centile for both height and weight. She wears age 4 clothes and wears size infant 7 shoes. Her leotards are CXS or 24".

Thank you for all the replies, it is nice to read about all your children's achievements throughout the year both academically and in the gym.

My dd is on a different track to most of the children on here with her still doing rec.

My dd is in year 1 at school(5-6 year olds) and was invited to go on the Gifted and Talented register for literacy, she is in top groups for literacy and numeracy and reads above her age, she is also left handed.

As well as gymnastics my dd also does dance and has her first ISTD exam for primary modern on Feb 3rd and she also does Primary ballet, musical theatre and street.

I don't know my dd's exact weight in lb's but she must be around 28-31lbs, she is small for her age and slim. She is in the bottom Centile for both height and weight. She wears age 4 clothes and wears size infant 7 shoes. Her leotards are CXS or 24". .

My DD was a tiny 6 yr old wearing CXS for a very long time! She is now 12 and finally in CM and CL lol. Don't
let size fool you though.

In 2012 she broke her foot in January and came back to level 8 as strong as ever! She placed 6th on bars at states and had 3 personal bests!

New skills:
Vault tuck and yurchenko pike
bars- pirouette on high bar, baile, DOUBLEBACK dismount. Working on pirouette to baile HS, bblind change
beam - straddle-back tuck, BHS layout, round off full dismount
floor- 1-1/2, not sure when she learned this but started competing front full.

She competed her first level 9 meet this past weekend hitting all 4 events, won vault and placed on everything except floor.

Great thread, nice to read everyone's accomplishments!

2012 has been amazing year for DD and it is great to see so many other gymmies on this thread having great years as well. We made the big gym move this past summer it was scary -- hard for both of us to leave our friends at the other gym. It's been the right move. In the last 6 months she's got her giants, FH to HS on high bar, pirouette, bwo-bhs on beam, RO BT dismount on beam, full on floor, tsuk on vault and finally her press-ups from the floor. I'm exhausted just thinking about it! But best of all my little gymmy is again experiencing a love for gymnastics that had waned a little last year. More than anything I just want her to be happy. Happy holidays everyone!

So glad to hear your moved turned out well! We changed gyms in 2011 and aside from skills, DD couldn't be happier!

Thanks for starting such a fun and reflective thread! Congrats to everyone's little gymmies on all of their accomplishments. My Little Miss, now 7, learned a lot this year. She had a super level 4 season as a 6 year old and is now a 7 year old level 5. She got all of her 5 skills this summer and had a great first meet of the new season. She's up-trained a good amount and now has two BWO on the beam, as well as BWO BHS flight series'. She recently did her first giant on the strap bar, without a spot (I missed it, darn!), she's tumbling with tucks on the floor, layouts into the soft pit, casting to handstand on the bars and more. She's LOVING gym right now and I hope for her and everyone that you have a safe, injury free 2013!

Looking back, I am amazed at all the new stuff that dd is doing in the gym. Some of it she has been training, but this yr it is competition ready and in routines.

She got her Yurchenko half for vault.
She got her Jaeger on bars as well as her giant full into her dismount.
She got her side aerial on beam, her sheep jump and finally a dismount - cartwheel back 1.5.
She got her double back pike on floor and her FLO-front full.

Yikes, she sure has gotten a lot of new stuff and every event has new skills - should be a very stressful, but exciting season!

DD had a great season last year. She ended the year with 2nd place AA at our State Chapmionships and state champ on floor. Skill wise she mastered all of the level 5 skills and is well on her way with all of the level 6 skills. Tucks are a bit low sometimes but doing great.
Floor- Round off back tuck, front handspring front handsrping step out, back layouts on the tumble track and with a spring board on the rod floor.
Bars- baby giants, free hip, cast hand stand
Beam- back walk over/backwalk over, backhandspring
Vault- finally getting a decent block!
I am so proud of how she has done this year and best of all she LOVES it and can't wait to try giants :)

DD has really been excited this year. She moved up to level 5, got to uptrain harder skills throughout the year and ended this year as a level 5 AA State Champ. Some of the skills on bars she has gotten to do in uptraining are baby giants and flyaways without a spot. She has even managed to do a few kip/cast/handstands. On beam, she has been doing back walkovers pretty consistenly and lately has been working on doing full turns and front tucks off the beam as well. She told me that she also managed to do a back stepout on the low beam although I didn't actually witness that one. ;) Since State is finished, the beam coach even gave each of them their "own" beam mount. In tumbling, she has been working on front tucks and the back tuck but I can tell this is going to take a while. Tumbling is something that always takes her time to get but at least they are working on it again. I know what she is really looking forward to is getting to work on giants (on the strap bar). Not so sure that I am ready for that one though.

DD has done soooo much this past year. I can't believe the difference between 4.5 to 5.5!
First of all ... kindergarten is super fun :) Reading wise, in the past year, she probably went from 2nd grade to 4th.
Gymnastics ----
Floor- Roundoff, bridge, kickover, handstand forward roll, backwalkover, BHS
Beam- not falling off every time! Split jump, handstand, cartwheel/handstand dismount
Vault- she can do a handstand flatback (not taught any higher)
Bars- pull over, back hip circle, mill circle, shooting star

And, of course, starting level 3 artistic team.

2012 was a huge year for my middle DD (just turned 6, and in kindergarten). She spent the first half of 2012 on preteam, and got all of her skills up to level 3 and most of the L4 skills. Then she moved to the L4 team in June. She really took off once she started the extra hours. She gained not only skills, but poise and body control. Comparing videos taken a year apart, her progress is phenomenal. She has competed in 2 meets so far, and earned a few medals. Since she gained nearly every skill she has during 2012, the skills that stand out to me as a mom/part-time coach are:
front hip circle, shoot through, ROBHS, back walkover, beam handstand, glide kip (it's there, but far from pretty)

My littlest DD is 4.5, and big skills for her are - bridge kickover, pullover, and getting her splits all the way down.

My oldest DD (9) is hoping for 2013 to be her year. In 2012, she seemed to lose and regain skills. Got beam cartwheel, lost beam cartwheel, finally got it back again. Same thing with squat-on, and with vaulting over the table. Each skill was lost due to fear or a fall. Now they are finally back, and she is preparing for her first L5 meet in 2 weeks. Big skills in 2012 for her: punch front on floor, FHS on floor, ROBHSBHS, back walkover on low beam.

Coming in late on this thread. :)
Younger dd (6yrs old) had a great year. She was moved to pre-team last January and today she'll be having her first team practice (competing L3 in fall 2013) She got her bwo, bhs, robhs, squat on, shoot through and fhc on bars. She also has her cartwheel on high beam.
Older dd (10) just finished her L5 season. She got her cartwheel on high beam consistently (finally!) and ended the year as state beam champ for her age group. She also has a solid punch front, got over her fear of back tucks and is doing robhsbt into the pit, has her bwo bwo on high beam. She's training for new L6 but may be competing the new L5 next fall - either one is good as at least the compulsory music is changing this coming fall so it'll all look and sound new to this mom who will be cheering in the stands. :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Too piked still?

Back