Coaches What did your gymnasts achieve today?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

marie83

Coach
Judge
In some of the other group forums, (gymnast and adult gymnast mainly) there are threads to 'brag' about what our members learned at gym. I thought it'd be fun to have a coaches version for us to brag about our gymnast's achievements.
I don't know about the rest of you, but my gymnasts constantly amaze me!
This thread doesn't necessarily have to be about skill achievement, it could be overcoming a fear or something completely different!

I'm sure we've all got something to brag about!

Here's mine:

Recently my gymnasts have started improving at a rate of knots!
There are a total of 9 girls in my group ranging in age from 8-12
I the last couple of months they've achieved so much:

Vault - All able to handspring over 115cm and 3 (9,10 &12) have achieved half on half off.
Bars - All but 2 are now able to kip. The ones left are age 8 and 10. The 10 yr old is really struggling. 8yr old almost has it. Of the others, 3 achieved their kip and long hang kip within the last 2 months, 2 of them on the same day!
Beam - All have their levels skills, including cartwheel and bwo. 2 have achieved their bhs and 1 who already had hers learned bwo-bhs yesterday. 3 of the girls learned to forward roll mount yesterday too.
Floor - 3 have achieved their punch front step out robhsbt. 1 achieved half twist on floor and full on tramp.

The one that makes me most proud, however, is my gymnast who rather nastily broke her elbow in December after peeling from the high bar on a tap swing. She had 4 months out of the gym, only returning properly in May. She hadn't even been coming in for conditioning because she had been told she would never do gymnastics again. In March she had another operation to remove the pins from her elbow and instantly had much more range of movement. Her arm is now straight again! YAY! In May when she came back we were VERY tentative. We were both nervous, however we have slowly persevered and she is actually now almost back to full fitness and her previous skill level is returning. She is one of those gymnasts who works really hard, but takes a very long time to achieve something and even when she does, it isn't technically brilliant, but she is just such a joy to coach because she wants to learn and improve. She achieved her ro double bhs this weekend and overcame her fears to catch the high bar again! So proud of her!

Oh cool thread!

My girls have done excellently in their competitions this year - i'm so proud of them all! We've just finished our competition season now so it's back onto proper skills again.

2 of them got their back flip on beam within a week of each other - so proud. One of them is also very close but very nervous. I was amazed at how much 4 of their vaults improved for competition, they really did great!

One of my girls missed their hands on a handstand and took a nasty fall to her head (hit it on the beam then landed on her head again) and after a through checking (she was fine- just a bit flustered!) she went up and tried again! I was so proud of her. :)

Last night, two of my boys got their back uprises on rings, one got his roundoff-backhandspring on floor, and one held a 3-second straddle planche for the first time.

Tonight, one of my girls did unspotted giants between the bars for the first time, and another got her flyaway.

So, yeah, definitely a very good week at the gym so far.

Trampoline: 2 girls decided to flip their codies. One put a double back at the beginning of a 10 contact routine. A lot of the preteam kids got their back tucks.

Double mini: Baranis, baranis, everywhere. And a couple little bitties finally got over the thing in the right number of skills (when you're 6 that is a BIG DEAL).

Rod floor: We got a backhandspring back tuck, a layout half, and a whip-5bhs-tuck. Woot.

Tumble trak: All my level 5 tumblers are now back tucking on TT. YAY.

Great thread!

Despite the intense heat we had a good night last night.
One new kipper! 7 yrs., bent arm and muscled up but it's a start.
And a group of repeating 6's flipped FHSFT on the floor for the first time. They've had these a long while on trak which paid off, they were pretty nice. 2 on their own really high and nice, one with a spot for fear, one still struggling :(

Good week here too. One of the girls has been working BHS on beam for a while, but collapsed her arms, scary fall. Took two weeks to build it back up again, and then it happened again - two or three times. It was entirely a mental thing. She finally seems to have it and be in control now, and has stopped looking terrified and started looking proud! We've also had tap swings finally clicked and understood for 3 girls this week and floor routines are coming along nicely.
There's also a 7 year old with the most beautiful handspring vault - she's tiny but just sprints at the board like you wouldn't believe. I cant wait for her to compete it!

Almost forgot- there's also an upstart (kip) that's been almost there for weeks now, and finally happened on shiny bar last night, so maybe it will come this week.

a perspective from here for those parents interested in knowing how long some skills take. we have an athlete that began learning arabian double front (fontaine) as a bar dismount 7 months ago this friday/tomorrow. today she finally accomplished 1/2 ending bar routines to this dismount. eta from a full routine? probably 3 more months from now. time she competes this i will be over 1 year older. ugh............:eek:

a perspective from here for those parents interested in knowing how long some skills take. we have an athlete that began learning arabian double front (fontaine) as a bar dismount 7 months ago this friday/tomorrow. today she finally accomplished 1/2 ending bar routines to this dismount. eta from a full routine? probably 3 more months from now. time she competes this i will be over 1 year older. ugh............:eek:

So true!

The gymnast I spoke about who connected her bwo bhs on beam has had her bwo on beam for 2 yrs and her bhs for 1 yr. She has been doing them with a big pause in between for some time, I tried everything to get her to link them, but ultimately it was all down to her brain! She only connected them for the first time on Monday.

My 10yr old gymnast who still can't kip has been trying for 3 years - yes, 3 whole years. She is one of the only gymnasts I've ever had who hasn't got it within months of beginning to learn it. She never seems to be any closer to getting it - Can't wait until I can post in this thread that she has it!

ooh, another good session today!
The 10yr old I mentioned in my previous post who is struggling with the kip also struggles on the other apparatus (our gym has the philosophy that if they want to be there and work hard, they are allowed to be in the squad - physical ability is a factor, but it's not the only one!) Today she achieved her bhs on beam and regained her tuck back and punch front on floor - for some reason she totally lost these 2 tumbles recently! She actually came really close to her kip today too!

All of last week was phenomenal for my gymnasts. Two new backhandsprings on beam, one double back off bars outside the pit, one double back off bars in the pit, two back uprises on rings, one roundoff backhandspring on floor, two front handspring-fronts on floor, and I'm probably forgetting some stuff.

Very proud of one of my level 4s who is working 5. She's been doing a one footed, crooked squat on for about a month now, and she finally put both feet on the bar. It was still crooked because she kept picking her right hand up, but as soon as I told her to keep both hands on the bar until she jumped she did it perfectly. I was so proud of her for fixing the initial problem and then listening and making a correction right away. :)

Marie - How funny, the upstart we were waiting for came too! It came on monday about 5 times, then only 1 on tuesday but it was there. We were on shiny bar instead yesterday so she did some there, fingers crosses it stays.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back