WAG What disqualifies from NCAA?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipflopz

Proud Parent
I've heard that a gymnast can become disqualifed to be a college NCAA gymnast. I am unclear as to how/why that happens. Anyone want to educate me?

Ineligibility tends to fall into 2 different types:
Athletic - if you are a "professional" athlete
Academic - not qualified to compete for an academic reason.
Endorsement deals... accepting prize money for gymnastics... getting paid to do gymnastics... taking the WRONG home school / online classes...
These seem to be the most common.

I'm curious, can you give more detail to this?
NCAA has to "approve" of the home school / online school program for academic eligibility in the first year of college. They will not approve a course that is not "timed." I have tutored students going to an online school that is NOT approved for NCAA Eligibility because their classes are not timed. A Student is RECOMMENDED to finish a semester class in a semester of time, but not REQUIRED to do so. Of course, most of my students finish their classes early, so I think this is unfair.
Technically, it doesn't just apply to homeschool or online school, but all schools. There are acceptable classes and unacceptable classes.
There is a website that you can check to see if the school / courses are acceptable to the NCAA.
https://web1.ncaa.org/hsportal/exec/hsAction?hsActionSubmit=searchHighSchool

I hope that helps.

NCAA has to "approve" of the home school / online school program for academic eligibility in the first year of college. They will not approve a course that is not "timed." I have tutored students going to an online school that is NOT approved for NCAA Eligibility because their classes are not timed. A Student is RECOMMENDED to finish a semester class in a semester of time, but not REQUIRED to do so. Of course, most of my students finish their classes early, so I think this is unfair.
Technically, it doesn't just apply to homeschool or online school, but all schools. There are acceptable classes and unacceptable classes.
There is a website that you can check to see if the school / courses are acceptable to the NCAA.
https://web1.ncaa.org/hsportal/exec/hsAction?hsActionSubmit=searchHighSchool

I hope that helps.
That is helpful, I had no idea. My 12yo ds already has his sites set on college gym (let's hope there are still men's programs then.) I have always homeschooled, so this is good for me to learn about before he hits high school.

That is helpful, I had no idea. My 12yo ds already has his sites set on college gym (let's hope there are still men's programs then.) I have always homeschooled, so this is good for me to learn about before he hits high school.
Glad I could help. The eligibility center has more information for home school parents and students... but my high school, most are using some sort of Online School or program (unless you are a Secondary teacher by training, lol, which I am - Math, Social Studies, and English)... but even if you teach it all yourself, there are steps to take.
One of our coaches is a senior in High School... Homeschooled her whole academic career... but she goes to the local high school for Math and Science this year, in the morning, then leaves. She does this because her mother is not equipped to teach Pre-Calc or Physics and nobody told them there was an online option available for these classes.

A girl at DD's gym was recently in a leo catalog. Any idea if that is generally a paid thing, or is it just for fun? My understanding is that, assuming it was paid, that makes her ineligible for NCAA?

The link w as helpful. I homeschool through a public charter. I know doing so, there is more structure required for high school.

This is what the website said about the school: Coursework from this school/program meets NCAA nontraditional core-course legislation

So it looks like if I continue with the charter we should be good.

A girl at DD's gym was recently in a leo catalog. Any idea if that is generally a paid thing, or is it just for fun? My understanding is that, assuming it was paid, that makes her ineligible for NCAA?
A girl in our gym was in a leo catalog as well. She did not get compensated in anyway ($$ or free merchandise). She does get discounts on leotards though :)

I would think it is ridiculous to disqualify a kid for modeling a gymnastics leotard. Even if they are getting paid, they aren't getting paid to DO gymnastics. They are getting paid to wear something people wear when they do gymnastics and then stand there while someone takes their picture. Surely a kid doesn't get disqualified for being a paid model.

The link w as helpful. I homeschool through a public charter. I know doing so, there is more structure required for high school.

This is what the website said about the school: Coursework from this school/program meets NCAA nontraditional core-course legislation

The caveat here is that there is sometimes a large difference between what the NCAA deems acceptable (view these as the minimum standards) versus what the prospective University deems acceptable based on their admissions criteria. All that will come down to the individual University and how they admit their student athletes. These criteria and standards will differ widely based on the school, so just keep that in mind as well. Meeting NCAA minimum standards won't necessarily qualify you for admission into any University with a gymnastics team. Grades, test scores and courses studied all have consideration.

Good luck to you and your son!

True, different Universities do have different requirements - however, I have been intensely reviewing all this (homeschool, and have a 6th and 7th grader - one thinking college gym and the other music school)...NCAA standards are actually much more particular than MOST universities for homeschool kids - as in most will take a kid with high test scores and a few community college classes to prove they are ready for college work - and a mommy made transcript with general descriptions of "4 years of math, 4 years of english, 3 of science....etc.). NCAA is MUCH tighter about specifics of coursework, in particular timing, etc. This comes in to play with homeschool kids because many do high school course work in middle school (NCAA won't count this) or school year round to allow for all the extracurricular stuff (again, timing issue with NCAA).

We'll probably have to do some "easier" on-line stuff from the local school district to meet NCAA standards for DD....rather than the stuff DS is doing (algebra in 7th grade, high school bio in 8th, etc). Music schools don't give a hoot as long as you can play!! This perturbs me a bit as I was hoping to keep her in a TAG like homeschool curriculum through HS - but that may not work....still have a couple years before 9th - lots of things can change!

I would think it is ridiculous to disqualify a kid for modeling a gymnastics leotard. Even if they are getting paid, they aren't getting paid to DO gymnastics. They are getting paid to wear something people wear when they do gymnastics and then stand there while someone takes their picture. Surely a kid doesn't get disqualified for being a paid model.
a coach may come around to clarify but from previous threads here, I believe compensation for gymnastics modeling makes you ineligible. If you go on the big Leo websites, they explain that they don't compensate (even with leos) for this very reason. You are using your talent/persona to earn money, which is a big no-no.

However, in the same light wouldn't working at a gym (mot just volunteering) also cause an ineligibility due to the same reasons? Hmmm...

of you continue in an online public high school charter, you should be fine. These schools must meet the standards of the state, like all other public schools (unlike the private onlines - which can be just as good but you have to do more research to ensure). Things to watch for are which courses are NCAA approved. Not all are. For instance, an honors history might be but not their AP history. Looking through some of it, there doesn't seem to be a rhyme reason for it but I am sure there is somewhere. The best bet is to make sure your child is taking the most difficult course available where she can be successful and max out the credits. Take math, lit/comp, language, science and history in each of the 4 yrs of hs (or start earlier. As long as they are high school level, they count.

Take math, lit/comp, language, science and history in each of the 4 yrs of hs (or start earlier. As long as they are high school level, they count.

Is that true? I thought that the classes had to be during HS years only? My DD is 4th grade but currently doing 6th grade Math. Will likely be ready for HS level math by 6th grade, so this is a concern for me. Want to pace her correctly for her academic needs but also ensure that she's able to take the "right" classes at the right time for NCAA purposes.

However, in the same light wouldn't working at a gym (mot just volunteering) also cause an ineligibility due to the same reasons? Hmmm...

I don't think that is the same thing. That is a job. You are not performing for money but teaching. This is probably an exempt area for scholarships. Many girls/boys at our gym coach and get scholarships.

I don't think that is the same thing. That is a job. You are not performing for money but teaching. This is probably an exempt area for scholarships. Many girls/boys at our gym coach and get scholarships.
that's what I figured. Was mainly asking the rational for allowing one and not the other.

WTH!!!! You use way more of your gymnastics teaching than you do putting on a leotard. Any child could put on a leotard. Unless you know one of the gymmies in a GK catalog, it's not like the little ones are nationally recognizable. I'm not talking the Olympians and national team members. I'm talking the tweens who are modeling.

It seriously blows my mind that you would be able to coach for money but not model for money and retain your eligibility.

Is that true? I thought that the classes had to be during HS years only? My DD is 4th grade but currently doing 6th grade Math. Will likely be ready for HS level math by 6th grade, so this is a concern for me. Want to pace her correctly for her academic needs but also ensure that she's able to take the "right" classes at the right time for NCAA purposes.
in our area, 7th and 8th graders routine take algebra and geometry. Theses are listed on their transcripts as pre-high school and count. Now - whether a college will still want to see 4 years of math in actual high school is another story. But really, kids taking algebra in 7th are likely going to calculus which would suffice on a college app, whether it's in 11th or 12th grade. If needed for a particular college, they can take a stats course in 12th.

Btw, my kids were way ahead in elementary. I ended up doing 2 yrs of algebra with them with 2 different programs to slow them down. They are in a much better position for higher level math now. Next year, they will be in 8th and doing a full year of geometry (deepening the program). I plan to do the same for younger Ds who is even more of a math whiz. There just isn't enough in the younger grades to delve deeper but once you get to algebra and geometry, you can spread out the material and work more deeply on the concepts.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back