WAG What disqualifies from NCAA?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our 8th graders take algebra as a regular class I don't thikn that counts. My oldest is taking German 1, geometry and algebra 2 in a accelerated manner in 8th grade. They don't count toward his GPA, but I think he gets credit somehow.

Oldest DS, who's now a freshman in high school, earned some high school credits in junior high for math and science and music. DD is on the same track.

You can now earn high school credit in Jr. High and it counts. If they are taking high school math in middle school, most likely, they will take college math in high school (and colleges don't have a problem with that- because it means they won't need to teach you remedial college math).

At our local district, they offer certain high school courses at the middle school because they want students to have 26 credits to graduate high school. Back when I graduated, we only needed 18. We were also allowed to have 2 study halls a day. Now, they are allowed a MAXIMUM of 1 study hall a day. Craziness has led to NEEDING to be allowed to earn HS credits in JHS.

And you have to be careful about other sports too...if you accept compensation in another sport, you are ineligible for any NCAA sports going forward. There was a kid years back who was a pro snowboarder and was offered a football scholarship which was taken away when his former career came to light...wasn't just that he couldn't accept the scholarship, he couldn't even be on the team...kinda like the Jordyn Weiber situation..

J.W. is "team manager" for a college team (I forget which) but is not eligible to compete because she is a "professional athlete."
I knew she couldn't compete in gymnastics, the post made it sound like she wanted to compete in a different sport.

Our 8th graders take algebra as a regular class I don't thikn that counts. My oldest is taking German 1, geometry and algebra 2 in a accelerated manner in 8th grade. They don't count toward his GPA, but I think he gets credit somehow.
in most situations, the grades don't count toward GPA. Much like when you take college courses and then transfer. Pass/fail. But the credits count for high school graduation and for college applications.

in most situations, the grades don't count toward GPA. Much like when you take college courses and then transfer. Pass/fail. But the credits count for high school graduation and for college applications.

My DD took freshman geometry in 8th grade. She had to get an A on the final test and a B in the class to make sure to credit applied toward high school. She got an A in the class and the entire credit counts on her high school transcript as if she took the class in 9th grade. It also counted toward her gpa, so she started high school with a 4.0. This path is really the only way to get to the highest math classes in our high school, unless you take double math one year or summer school. My son is also doing this right now as an 8th grader.

I know his grades don't count. mainly because our middle schools use standards based grading and high school uses traditional grading, so they are not compatible. He has already passed his geometry final to count for HS and just has his algebra 2 to go. I think next year (9th) he will take college algebra. It is all so much, imo for some of these kiddos.

NCAA requirements do change frequently - and I think it varies with homeschool versus standard brick and morter classroom - DS (7th grade this year) DID have the option of high school course through the school district on line FOR CREDIT or just doing the program we liked. We chose not to do the on-line because they offered 2 choices, one which was rigorous in content but the format allowed kids to do most work in their heads and they only had to do a 5 question multiple choice "quiz" each day, which they could take repeatedly....and the other was a bit dumbed down....we choose to have him do it the old fashioned way with a book and pencil, and not worry about the credits....BUT with DD I'll likely have to pick something that will "count" for NCAA rather than the best course....and although the on line stuff is getting better all the time, there are still lots of short cuts....

I can see why the NCAA is particular, its just a bit of a pain.....

The NCAA has weird rules. If you had a gymnast who needed transportation and you gave her or him a car they would be ineligible for NCAA competition. However if the student stole a car to drive they would still be eligible. Kinda makes you wonder what motivates the NCAA.....;) $$$$$$$

And you have to be careful about other sports too...if you accept compensation in another sport, you are ineligible for any NCAA sports going forward. There was a kid years back who was a pro snowboarder and was offered a football scholarship which was taken away when his former career came to light...wasn't just that he couldn't accept the scholarship, he couldn't even be on the team...kinda like the Jordyn Weiber situation..

What. The. Heck. I did not see that one coming.

Wow, I have some serious problems with this. That's ridiculously unfair. A snowboarder is not a football player.

And under that line of reasoning, if my son books a paid acting job where he plays a peewee football player, he would have to beg reinstatement to do Div 1 gymnastics?

If a kid works as a lifeguard after doing swim team at his neighborhood pool, with the requirement for the job that he show he can swim X yards nonstop, boom, no baseball scholarship.

What a ridiculous waste. I really hope the NCAA ditches the amateur requirement altogether. Please call and lobby for that.

Would being an adidas gymnastics brand ambassador make you lose your eligibility?

I think it would, but I'm not sure.

My understanding is you cannot take compensation for anything media in excess of your expenses to do the project.
What is totally baffling is that they would apply it cross-sport. As if a professional football player can just write to USTA and say, "Put me on the tour." It's ludicrous.

Would being an adidas gymnastics brand ambassador make you lose your eligibility?

I think it would, but I'm not sure.

You mean like McKayla Maroney? She gave up her eligibility already, but I'm assuming the brand ambassador role has compensation and benefits associated with it that would disqualify someone. But each scenario would have to be evaluated against the rules to see how it matches up. I suppose there could be a scenario that they'd deem acceptable, but I'm not sure what that would be.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back