Coaches What is this Bar exercise called?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

Ex member

My 6 year old dd goes to rec and is in a class with girls of mixed skill levels that are grouped by age. During my dd's last rec session they were working on bars ( the spend 10 mins each on Floor, Beam, Bars & Vault per session), all the girls had to do swings in my dd's group, mostly with spot, the coach working with my little dd ( she is smallest in her group) noticed that she could swing by herself and get quite high, when my dd got off the bars the coach showed her something with her hands that she wanted dd to try on her her next go, the coach wanted dd to swing then pike her legs upwards and then with a spot go over the bar backwards ending in front support before swinging forward again to dismount ( she was the only one in her age group to be asked to do it), what was this move called. They also had to jump up into front support on the little bar and flip over the top, by dd dine something extra on the little bar, she jumped to font support then sing her legs under a little the back and let go of the bar landing on the floor where she started - was this a cast? ( she wasn't asked to do this, she just wanted to), to told the coach she wanted to stay on the bars after there time was up, I think bars might be her favourite lol.

The first move is a "circle up". It is the basic move that rec and novice gymnasts use to get up on the low bar.

The cast requires the gymnast to come of the bar (eventually to handstand) and control back down to front support. Its skill they spend years learning to master, but they start the prep quite early as its a requirement in any bar routine. As they progress through the competitive levels the requirment changes from just getting the hips off the bar and back to 3 o'clock, to 12 o'clock.

I wouldn't worry to much atm as these skills taken months of years to learn properly. That's why they start prepping so soon, to give them the time to get the skills.

Hth
'Margo

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back