What Should I Work On Next?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone! So here is my whole story, and then at the end, I was wondering if anyone could post what they think the next logical steps are for me, as in things to work on! Thanks in advance!

I did gymnastics from the age of 7-14, at which point I quit gym to focus on figure skating which was my "other sport", which I did from the age of 4-18.

At the time I quit, I was basically a level 6, except I couldn't do kips.

In December, I picked gym back up, first in my hometown of Dallas at Texas Dreams Gym in Coppell which offers an adult class (yay!). Then, when school started back up again, I came back up to Norman, Oklahoma (I go to OU), and enrolled in a gymnastics class offered through the university (shocking, i know!). It is twice a week for an hour and taught by one of the men's assistant coaches, and it's really fun. We do some basic stretching, conditioning, light tumbling, and then usually have about 20 minutes of open gym. At first like half the class was terrible, but as of last week, pretty much everyone is throwing back handsprings, which is awesome! Of course there are like 5 people who clearly did gymnastics at a high level and this is super easy for them, but its OK!

I am amazed at how quickly I picked the skills back up! As of January, I was back to doing roundoff back handsprings by myself on the floor, and working roundoff back handspring back tucks/layouts on the tumble trak. I can do back hip circles and pullovers on the bars but havent tried much else. Haven't attempted vault and have only tried like a full turn on the beam, haha!

In addition to our class twice a week, our teacher lets me come in once or twice a week and work out with the club team (about ten guys ranging from 12-20ish, I think some of them are at the level where they'd like to walk on to the OU mens team but it's a fun relaxed environment). The coaches are Chris Brooks (of the US national team) and Rustam Sharipov (3 time Olympian!!! I can hardly believe my luck here haha, he is an amazing coach) and they let me do basically whatever I want all the while providing a great amount of help so I can improve!

Unfortunately about 6 weeks ago I fractured my ankle doing back layouts with a half on the trampoline, I came down really heavy and thought I just rolled my ankle but after a month (I know...) I finally went to the health center here at OU and an x-ray revealed a fracture. So into a walking boot I went, and now it is almost 3 weeks later, apparently it will come off on the 24th at which point I will begin physical therapy. I hope.

So aside from a little physical therapy work to get back to where I was a few weeks ago, I hope to be back in shape quickly. I have been going in 1-2 times a week to do conditioning and feel like I'm still getting a pretty good workout but I cannot wait to get back doing flips!! I'd kill to do some tumbling right now!

OK now that the novel is over...I am basically at the point where I was when I quit, tumbling wise. What are some new skills I can try to master? I would love love love to train for a meet but right now I'd say I'm about a level 4 or 5 MAX haha, so I don't really know how the routines for adult meets would work. Any advice would rock.

Thanks yall!!! and good luck in the gym! :)

I'm not sure if OU has a NAIGC club.

So you're doing RO>BHS>layout 1/2. Start training the full or Arabians.

Last edited by a moderator:
look into aau gymnastics. for the modified optionals you get to make up your own routines. and if you just want to do bars and floor, you don't even have to do beam.
how are your front tucks on floor? you can work on front tumbling.

BlairBob, what does NAIGC stand for? I'm not sure if it is an official club team or anything, I have seen the guys wearing stuff with an emblem for Gymnastics Oklahoma, so I assume there is some type of team there. There are a few guys who train with the intention of trying out for the OU team in the future, that are already OU students, and about five of them that are 12.

I have previously worked on roundoff backhandspring back tucks, pikes, and layouts, but connecting them all I tend to lose some form so I've been working mostly on RO-BHS-tucks and layouts on their own on the tramp.

Katy: My front tucks are OK but yes, they could definitely use some work!

Today I did a little bars, just some swinging back and forth with half turns (change of grip?? i dont know how to describe it, I kept swinging the whole time, just switched direction I guess), flyaway dismounts just to my back in the pit, and front and back hip circles! So exciting, I love bars. But I need to get my calluses back!

AAU optionals sounds awesome! Do you have to be at a certain level? I would love all the info I can get! I think I am getting my boot off tomorrow so I'm planning on starting to work a lot harder to improve, I would LOOOOVEEEE to compete sometime soon!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back