Parents What size octagon mat for almost 9 year old?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone! In an attempt to make my life more sane, I think we are going to have my daughter's private dance teacher help her with front walkovers for a bit before re-enrolling in a class. She runs a very small studio, so she does not have mats. She suggested purchasing an octagon mat, which I can bring to her studio. My dilemma is that my daughter is likely between a Medium sized octagon and a Large. My daughter is average in height for her age, and she is 8 going on 9 in December. My worry is that she'd outgrow the Medium (or might have already) but that the Large would be too tall. If a child is borderline, it is better to go up a size?

Hi everyone! In an attempt to make my life more sane, I think we are going to have my daughter's private dance teacher help her with front walkovers for a bit before re-enrolling in a class. She runs a very small studio, so she does not have mats. She suggested purchasing an octagon mat, which I can bring to her studio. My dilemma is that my daughter is likely between a Medium sized octagon and a Large. My daughter is average in height for her age, and she is 8 going on 9 in December. My worry is that she'd outgrow the Medium (or might have already) but that the Large would be too tall. If a child is borderline, it is better to go up a size?
ETA: She is 52" in height. 4'4"

In my opinion, it's better to go up a size, just because your daughter will grow into it eventually. HOWEVER, you should buy another firm mat or platform to place next to the barrel while she is still short. This will effectively make her the correct height when she is performing the skill.

In my opinion, it's better to go up a size, just because your daughter will grow into it eventually. HOWEVER, you should buy another firm mat or platform to place next to the barrel while she is still short. This will effectively make her the correct height when she is performing the skill.
Thank you so much for this idea! This is helpful. Do you have any recommendations as to where we should buy one? I've just been looking on Amazon.

Oh also-- what about an air barrel? That looks like an affordable option. I know it might roll more. I'd also need to transport it in my minivan and am not sure I would want to mess with inflating/deflating all the time.

Last edited:
I’d buy what you can find used for a good price—air barrel, mailbox mat, octagon, etc. You will not be using this for long so just cruise FB marketplace and OfferUp for a cheap serviceable option.

Honestly I wouldn't use one of these for teaching a front walkover...

if you must, size down as you can put panel mats underneath to raise it up - big and you are definitely just going for a ride and not learning to do what is required to be success at the skill.

if you must, size down as you can put panel mats underneath to raise it up - big and you are definitely just going for a ride and not learning to do what is required to be success at the skill.
May I ask what you’d use? She just struggles with the landing. I think she is close. She’s been trying for over a year via privates, classes, and clinics.

Thanks so much--I read that, too! I wondered why, though, someone would suggest not using these types of mats? I have looked at incline/wedges and regular panel mats. I wasn't even considering an octagon (or air barrel) until her dance teacher said of all the mats, she would prefer we bought this for her to use with my daughter. He dance teacher does have some back issues, and she said she was going to wear her back brace to help my daughter.

Why is a dance teacher (with back issues!) going to teach your DD to do a front walkover? Do they have experience spotting gymnastics?

Why is a dance teacher (with back issues!) going to teach your DD to do a front walkover? Do they have experience spotting gymnastics?
She's both a former gymnast and ballerina. She does have older students who perform walkovers/acro, but she doesn't offer it as a class. The studio is in an old tiny house. Both she and her son-in-law have experience, but she's explained she does have some back issues from her years as a dancer. Anyway, she is familiar with the skill. I originally thought I'd get mats to help my daughter drill more at home, but she said she could help if I brought it to her studio. My daughter has been working to learn a walkover for over a year now. She's made progress, and I imagine she is close--they are not starting from square one.

I'd skip the barrel and spend my time on
1. handstand bridge
2. front limber
3. nice slow front walkover attempts

I've never seen a gymnastics coach using a barrel to teach these. The barrel does too much heavy lifting - the gymnast has to do things that are hard to make strength and flexibility gains.

This progression looks good to me:

1. handstand bridge
2. front limber

I've never seen a gymnastics coach using a barrel to teach these. The barrel does too much heavy lifting - the gymnast has to do things that are hard to make strength and flexibility gains.

This progression looks good to me:

We just watched the video, and it is great! We don't have access to that type of tumbling equipment, which is why I was first considering a wedge that can then fold into a square. But the dance teacher said if we get anything, get an octagon. My daughter does some drills, such as wall walks at home. I thought I could upload a video, but it doesn't seem to be an allowed format.

Last edited:
1. handstand bridge
2. front limber
Perfect, I was trying to find a good video, I also like tic tock's

@Gym2halo I think what we are all trying to tell you is that anyone who is suggesting you buy a barrel to learn this skills is probably unlikely to have the technical knowledge to actually correct whatever the weakness is.

This tutorial is not terrible, if you look at the shape she is in when her foot contacts you can see there is no way a barrel will fit between her hands and feet and still support her back. If you want a supportive device a 'mailbox' would be the only thing semi appropriate. Having pre requisites and specific corrections/drills from a coach is the best learning aide.

These skills are very frequently taught in dance studios. Acro is very big, dance teachers will teach walkovers, aerials, handsprings, tucks, layouts etc.

I do see the octagon and rollers used in videos for training for walkovers. Can anyone comment on why that is? Now I am back to the panel mat or wedge-into-cube thing for drills, lol. My daughter dislikes doing backbends on wedges, though. She can go into one from standing and stand up, but on the wedge, I saw her fall all over going downhill. She said she was just afraid on the wedge. I was just thinking of one to put against a wall.

here’s a video showing lots of good drills. A panel mat would be helpful if you have hard floors. If she’s physically prepared to do the skill, she won’t need specialized mats. She just needs to do tons of handstands and bridges.

Thank you so much! I think no matter what, I should get a panel mat for drills. Do you think a wedge against the wall is any better than just using a wall at home?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back