Parents What to ask: new gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
I think being a fly on the wall is invaluable. Just watch a few practices to see how the kids and coaches interact. Listen the parents talk in the bleachers. I have found you can learn a lot from that.

I just want to say you are super fortunate to have multiple options. You are wise to be as thorough as possible. We've got one gym in town. Period. Don't like it, too bad. Your only option is to quit. Enjoy the flexibility and ability to choose!

We auditioned 6 gyms before selecting ours. In one case the facility was beautiful, but the parents were not people I would want to hang out with, my DD liked the coaches and the facility, but complained about the other kids being rude.

This too. Hard to see in a few practices but you can get a sense.

I have been to 3 meets with gym xyz, the girls perform pretty well but the parents are rather obnoxious. They would technically be a choice if I were considering a gym move, but based on my experience sitting near the parents. not a chance.

Dunno? I have not...who is that?
Dunno is a coach and seems to know everyone in US gymnastics.
Pm him and ask for his opinion.
I believe it would be a very useful part of the choosing process.
Let him know what sort of program you are looking for as well. He would know which would be the best fit and if there are any problems he knows of at the gyms.

Dunno is a coach and seems to know everyone in US gymnastics.
Pm him and ask for his opinion.
I believe it would be a very useful part of the choosing process.
Let him know what sort of program you are looking for as well. He would know which would be the best fit and if there are any problems he knows of at the gyms.

Dunno knows everyone, and when we moved across the country and I needed to find a new gym, he was my go-to source.
I don't know who he is (I guess none of us do) - but he is legendary on CB, and he guided us to the absolute right gym for us.
Absolutely PM him and have a discussion with him via messaging, and at least carefully (very carefully!) consider what he says.
He is the complete fountain of knowledge when it comes to gyms, coaches, etc. :)

Oooh I might be PMing him soon as well. Getting the facts while behind discrete is going to be invaluable!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back