Parents what trumps gym practice in the summer?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

emorymom

Proud Parent
That would be summer swim league, with dual meets on Tuesdays same as gym practice. About 20% of my daughter's gym team was racing in the dual meet we were at last night. And from what I can tell they are top swimmers.

Very proud of them!

Do you guys have any kids racing now, or in a few weeks for those of you in more northern North America?

My daughter also does summer swim team, as well as 16 hrs a week at the gym and somehow the schedules work around each other perfectly! Our meets are on Saturdays (no gym) and we are there from 6am-2pm or later! She does well but as with gymnastics, swimming is extremely competitive in Texas, so she is definitely not one of the fastest :) She enjoys it and has lots of friends on the team so it makes the summer less "boring". Good luck this summer, I know how busy it can be!

My dd wanted to join the swim team so badly but the hours just don't work for us. Their practice during the day and I work. At least with gym, her practice starts at 8:00am so I can drop her off on my way to work. I think swim team runs from 11am-1pm. I work 8:30-5, so, that isn't going to happen. We will miss gym, however, for a day at an amusement park the zoo. Waiting to go to these places on the weekend can be maddening. Our gym is really good about her missing, too, so it doesn't bother me.

Pickle joined swim team for the first time this year and she LOVES it. The team is very low-key and it's a nice change from gymnastics, where she feels much more pressure.

I'm not sure if the schedules are going to work past this month (can you believe we STILL don't have our summer schedule from the gym). But she's been working out with swim team for the last month and she's having a great time.

We haven't been to a swim meet yet, but a mom whose child was on the team last year told me that meets are often excuses for the BBQ afterwards. This is my kind of sport.

Swim team is a huge comittment here in the Summer so we opted for the dive team. Started 3 years ago when DD was just 6 and she loves it! Only runs from June til end of July with Championships and the perfect sport for gymmies! My DD and her friend from same gym took the # 1 and #2 spot last year in 8 & under. In the 9 & 10 group which is tougher, larger, and have to add a 4th dive but she is excited to start practice this week. We used to cut gym practice for meets (evenings) but this yr with morning practice we won't miss any meets and she can go to the evening dice team practice even though we usually prefer the morning one! She is also doing a week of Field Hockey camp and it runs the week when the gym is closed so she won't miss any practice for that!

We do "cut" sometimes for impromptu beach trips or long weekends but again w/all morning pracitices this Summer now we can always leave after practice is over.

I have a swimmer, too. She just started this summer and loves it. She is actually pretty good. I think her strength from gymnastics really carries over. But, I am exhausting her with swim practice every morning and gymnastics two nights a week (she is 6). So, I think we are going to skip swim practice tomorrow and see if she does better. But in another week, the gym closes for a 2 week break and by then swimming is almost over.

I love, love, love having an active child!

Daughter did swim team when she was preteam but had to give it up for gymnastics, fortunately she really did not care. I still have not found an activity that she likes as much as gymnastics, she does dance and did track this year but after the first few months she always claims she is bored! My oldest daughter does competitve swim year round and it is alot cheaper and more easier to understand than gymnastics!

That would be DD's "BFF" coming from out of state to visit for a week. She wouldn't miss a minute with her. Of course she volunteered to go to some extra practices the week before to make up for it.:rolleyes:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back