Off Topic What's for dinner?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
Dinner (actually snacks, lunch, breakfast name it), is always a source of stress for me. With varying taste buds, appetites, time (we eat in shifts because of sports) and my lack of expertise in the kitchen, it is a daily struggle. Care to share any of your favorite, kids favorite easy dinner meals? Something that can be prepared, cooked and on the table in less than 1 hour, preferrably 30 mins. or prepared before hand but also not time consuming. I need time to read chalkbucket while my kids are at school and not doing chores.:p

I need time to read chalkbucket while my kids are at school and not doing chores.:p

The need to read chalkbucket made me laugh!
We have 4 kids and juggle too
tandoori chicken goes down well (marinated chicken in yogurt and tandoori powder overnight then top shelf oven 20 mins) goes with salad or rice or veg.
Anything pasta.
Soup (homemade in advance v healthy) and bread
chilli and rice
All v popular!

Last edited by a moderator:
The slow cooker (do you lot call it a crockpot?) is your friend.

soups, stews, casseroles, pasta sauce, chilli, whole chicken, meat joints- chuck stuff in there in the morning, and everyone can just help themselves in the evening. All you need is salad/bread/noodles/pasta to go with.

My favorite easy meal. Cook about 1/2 cup of chunky salsa until its a little thick, Add 2 cans rinsed black beans and 1 cup beef broth. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes. At the end of cooking I mash it with a potato masher. Serve over rice with sour cream and corn chips. Its easy, healthy and makes me feel like I've made a real meal.

My friend is my pressure cooker. A meal we all enjoy is "chicken and rice"

1 whole chicken around 3-4 lb, place in pressure cooker with a choped carrot, chopped celery stick, salt, pepper, stock cube and enough water to cover to top of thighs. Cook at high pressure for 25 mins.

Meanwhile in a saucepan boil some rice and veg (I use peas and carrots for colour) til cooked.

When chicken is cooked, reduce presure, remove chicken and make a quick white sauce.

Quick white sauce - 1/2 pt chicken stock (from cooking chicken), 1/2 pt milk, salt and pepper, 1tblsp of cornflour mixed with a little cold water. Put all ingredients in a microwaveable jug and nuke free about 6 mind, stiring twice.

Place rice on plate, add sliced chicken, cover in sauce.

We Love it, and cooked this way then chicken is super tasty, and I make a soup with then left over stock and a chicken pie with then other half of the chicken.

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

You probably do this already but my mum makes a massive batch of bolognese sauce and puts them in containers some with 1 and some with 2 serves of sauce and stores it in the freezer. When it's required we defrost it and cook pasta - the brand we use takes about 10-12mins I will share some more ideas later

Salsa chicken

http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/16700/salsa-chicken

Ingredients

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
4 teaspoons taco seasoning mix
1 cup salsa
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C)
Place chicken breasts in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle taco seasoning on both sides of chicken breasts, and pour salsa over all.
Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 25 to 35 minutes, or until chicken is tender and juicy and its juices run clear.
Sprinkle chicken evenly with cheese, and continue baking for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Top with sour cream if desired, and serve.

Thanks. I've never prepare tandoori chicken. Did not realize it was that simple. I'll try it. I'll also try txgymfan's salsa dish. Black beans is very good for you and I read somewhere it is also a fat blocker. And I'll try Iwannabemargo's chicken and rice dish. My son is a sauce guy and my two youngest ones will only eat chicken. i usually get my recipes from foodnetwork.com. My mom never cooked and has no hand me down family recipes. So I figured the busy moms or dads at chalkbucket have tried and true family favorites that they've modified themselves to fit their busy lifestyles and picky eaters. :)

i've pulled recipes from allrecipes too. I've never done the salsa chicken. If it's easy, I'll try it.

i think I know what meals I'll be preparing next week. I just need maybe a pork or beef recipe to squeeze in between some of the chicken recipes.::)

Try the book "The Sneaky Chef to the Rescue" by Missy Chase Lapine. Lots of good ideas about sneaking nutrition into everyday kid-friendly foods.

Tonight we had salsa verde chicken (basically chicken breast, salsa verde, and chicken broth put in a crock pot for about 8 hrs - when done shred the chicken and put in fridge). For dinner, grab some small tortillas and put on a baking sheet. Top with rinsed black beans (about a teaspoon), followed by shredded chicken, followed by shredded cheese. Bake in. 375 oven for about 10 minutes. The tortillas will get crispy on the outer edges and the cheese will be melted. You can serve like a an open faced sandwich or can fold in half like a warm melty taco. This is a favorite in our family and really easy from a time perspective.

We also love old standbys from when I was a kid - tuna salad, tomato soup and grilled cheese, and Cuban beans and rice (awesome 10 minute microwave dish with little prep if you use minute rice). My dds love egg drop soup and that is also incredibly easy and fast.

I need to show my DD this thread....she told me last night that she is tired of chicken every night! Sounds like that's the "gymnasts" choice of protein! Hehe

On cold days, I like to make a chicken stew: 3 chicken breasts, can of chicken broth, 8 oz cream cheese, 2 cans beans (we use light kidney, but you can use dark beans), chopped onion and garlic salt. Let it cook in slow cooker 6 hours, then shred the chicken breasts and mix it all up. Add 1-2 cans corn and let cook another hour to make sure it's heated. Very filling and super easy to make!

1974 your stew recipe sounds great. I love my crockpot. I often make chili, pinto beans and recently pea soup. A good source of easy recipes is Pinterest. I use the search bar and put in the type of meal I want ( like beef stew), instantly you get easy often healthy ideas. Usually I read several "pins" and improvise from there.

My kids love 'salad tacos'. I brown whatever ground meat and season it with Taco seasoning which I make myself in big batches but store bought works. Instead of taco shells we use either iceberg lettuce leaves or cabbage leaves as shell and top with taco toppings. Some times ill throw some black beans on them too

Another easy chicken one-

onion, garlic, chilli (depending on how hot you like it). Either chop finely or whizz to a paste in a processor.

Add tin tomatoes, tin coconut milk, chicken breasts (as many as you want/can fit in for slow cooker-
I freeze the extras)

leave on low all day, serve with rice or salad.

Desperation dinners. It a cookbook with recipes that can be prepared and ready to serve in 30 minutes or less. Who woulda thunk it possible.

Oh, also my if in doubt curry it recipe.

I make my own curry powder (yeah I am that person) but store bought is fine.

Fry a chopped onion, some minced garlic and minced ginger in a pan. Add some curry powder and fry for a minute. Add a tblsp of lime juice, dstsp of brown sugar, tblsp of nam pla (or soy sauce) and a tin of coconut milk. Drop in cubed meat or fish of choice and simmer til cooked. Serve with rice or nan.

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Some great ideas here :)

We have a lot of stews, soups, bolognaise, chilli all done in the slow cooker. In summer a simple salad and some meat thrown on the grill outside.

If you cook something and it is freezeable then cook double, freeze, either individual serves or family sized serves (pasta mixed with tomato based/bolognaise sauce freezes well, rice with curry as well) - helps for the days when it all goes completely haywire.

Homemade pizza is quick, can chop topping during the day and assemble, then just pop in the oven when you get home.

My favourite quick recipe ...

Put on some pasta to cook, any shape will work.
Finely chop an onion. Stir fry in some olive oil until softened.
Add some curry powder (amount depends on how hot your family likes curry) some minced garlic and ginger, parsley and fry for approx 1 min.

Add a large handful of sliced mushrooms and stir for a few minutes. Can add other vegetables at this point such as diced zucchini, small pieces of brocoli, roughly chopped tomatoes.
Throw in a handful of some type of protein - diced bacon, chopped ham, drained tinned tuna or salmon, chopped leftover roast chicken and stir for a few minutes.
Pour over a large tin of evaporated milk (plain or coconut flavoured) or cream if feeling indulgent.
Reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes until heated through.
Add a handful of shredded parmesan cheese to thicken the sauce. Season with salt and pepper.

Serve mixed through the cooked pasta with bread, top with extra cheese if desired.

This will reheat well the next day.
Or make double and the next night use to make pasta bake - spread in an oven tin, top with grated cheese and bread crumbs, serve with salad or steamed vegies.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back