Parents When coach has more confidence

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

my dd did not have all her skills when she first started doing meets in lvl 3. she didn't have her mill circle. everything else was very beginner (except for her ROBHS which she did very well). she did the last 2 meets of the year and competed against 2nd year lvl 3s and 3s who had been competing all year. she held her own and did very well for a newbie, improving her score at each meet.

i was never embarrassed. i was super proud when she fell off beam at her first meet and hopped right back up w/out skipping a beat. she was ok with her scores and even got a AA trophy her first meet (they went waaaaay out at that meet). at states, she fell twice on bars. she was super upset and crying but made it through beam afterwards (very shaky though) and then killed it on floor - it was the best moment for her.

it was like pre-school for her. she learned how to act on the meet floor. how to get up and keep going when she fell. how to strive to do better at each meet. yes she was learning skills but it was also all about how it works when competing. you need to behave a certain way, ect....

i wouldn't worry at all about your dd. and like another poster said, you will see kids of all skills out there. and it's level 3. so take a deep breath and go enjoy watching your gymmie learn how to be a gymnast!

and her mill circle was her kryptonite (seriously who invented that skill? I’d like to have a word with them).

seriously, that #$%$^@ mill circle! if you watch some really old gymnastics videos on YT, you will find the mill circle in the routines. it's the stupidest skill. lol. although i'm sure it prepares them for some other skill. or not. it is my most hated skill. that's all.

my dd competed her first year as a 3 w/o having that mill circle at all. she wasn't supposed to compete at all that year but she had every other skill and the coaches wanted her to get meet experience so they put her in the last 2 meets so she could do states with the rest of the team. she ended up getting the skill the week after states. :p

I loved reading emums description of her DDs L3 season! That is pretty much what it should be; an introduction to competitive gymnastics. Yes, there are some great progressive skills in L3, and then there is the mill circle, lol..! (Yes, I know it has its purposes, but still....). L3 should be where the serious stuff begins, but is still fun and lighthearted. I coach L3 and it definitely is important, but this is still the "small stuff" and the focus should still be on fun and learning.

seriously, that #$%$^@ mill circle! if you watch some really old gymnastics videos on YT, you will find the mill circle in the routines. it's the stupidest skill. lol. although i'm sure it prepares them for some other skill. or not. it is my most hated skill. that's all.

my dd competed her first year as a 3 w/o having that mill circle at all. she wasn't supposed to compete at all that year but she had every other skill and the coaches wanted her to get meet experience so they put her in the last 2 meets so she could do states with the rest of the team. she ended up getting the skill the week after states. :p
Lol, we have a L8 that is still trying to get her mill circle - just so she can say she has done it correctly.
I think in 2 years of that level, OG successfully competed the mill circle without cheating it or falling ONCE... Maybe twice.
YG got credit for it once in THREE years of the level... but fell on it that time too.

Lol, we have a L8 that is still trying to get her mill circle - just so she can say she has done it correctly.
I think in 2 years of that level, OG successfully competed the mill circle without cheating it or falling ONCE... Maybe twice.
YG got credit for it once in THREE years of the level... but fell on it that time too.

it's hilarious to see the older gymnasts try to go back and do the lvl 3 bar routine. the shoot through and the mill circle. dd has tried it a few times (and failed).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back