Parents When they can do it, but they can't?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Anyone else have a gymnast who is physically capable of a particular skill (per their coach) but just cannot seem to do it? Not a fear or a block or a lost skill, just something that refuses to click? My DD should be able to cast pretty high but it's a good day when she hits horizontal. Her coach is confounded at this point. It doesn't matter if she's on high bar, low bar, pit bar, or strap bar. She is just terrible at casting. She is so (really, SO) much tighter and stronger than she used to be, but she is light years from handstand. Her gym doesn't require their L6s to have handstand (and there is basically 0% chance of L7 next season), so it's not an issue really (other than killing her bars scores, but that's something she can deal with)...it's more I'm curious what the reason could be and curious if others have seen it (and seen the other side, too!).

she'll get it eventually. :)

Yes, yes, yes. Same. Kip cast to straight body handstand. Coach wants straight body for DD rather than straddle that other girls are doing. It is in her head, and she won't or can't get all the way up, although should be strong enough. She's pretty frustrated and having a time deadline doesn't help...

Yeah, my DD is both older and taller. I asked her-to be sure I wasn't nuts- and sure enough no drills or spotting on casts since July or August. Her whole L6 team has trouble with casts, save one girl who nearly gets to handstand regularly. There isn't a lot of spotting in general because there is one coach for about thirty girls most of the time (except beam- there are two separate beam coaches)... Nothing she (and obviously nothing that I) can do about lack of drills or spots, so I will just be happy with what she's doing well, and so will she.
not an expert, but I thought the straddle cast was easier for taller girls...
I'm sorry. It's frustrating to watch them be frustrated.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back