WAG Which stretches for shoulders do you do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

sportymom

DD is super flexible in her lower body. She can do all splits and doesn't even feel a stretch in pancake, so she usually does oversplits.

Her bridge is nice, but I would say definitely not as good as her splits.

When she is doing walkovers, she uses her lower back flexibility a lot due to lack of cervical spine/shoulder flexibility.

Any ideas how we can stretch this area at home without including her lower back too much?

Is her shoulder flexibility not good? It sounds like she needs more core strengthening focused on the lower back.

I would say she it is not totally horrible, but definitely not really good!

She can do a front walkover, but she says that she can feel the stretch a lot while doing them!

I think her core is pretty strong...

.....Any ideas how we can stretch this area at home without including her lower back too much?.......

Exercise #1.... Have her sit in a high back chair and get positioned where her back is supported about 6 inches below the top of her shoulders, and pad that area with a pillow. While in this position she should try to keep her mid back against the back of the chair (or the pillow) while doing the following motion with resistance provided by a helpful friend, parent, or coach.....

Start with arms straight and held horizontal in front with hands at shoulder width. The helper will hold her arms and pull them up to her ears and beyond until she feels a challenging stretch that isn't to the point of pain. She should then push forward to signal she's hit the stretch point and the helper allows her to push her arms back to the starting position. Do 10 to 15 repetitions.

Exercise #2.... Have her put her right arm behind her head with her elbow bent as if she was trying scratch the back of her left shoulder. The helper stands behind and to the right, puts their right hand on her elbow, and then gently pushes her elbow toward her left shoulder. When she feels the challenging but painless stretch she should push back against the helper's resistance and keep pushing until her right elbow is level with her shoulder, and then the helper moves her arm back to the starting position while she lightly resists all the way to the point of feeling the challenging stretch. Do 10 to 15 repetitions.

This muscles used for the motion in this exercise are extremely weak, the helper should not expect her to move through the motion with much force. She should control how much pressure the helper provides by moving slower for less pressure and faster for more. So if she moves slow the pressure should be reduced, and if she moves fast it's a signal she can push against more resistance.

Both exercises rely on repetitions to fatigue the muscles while strengthening them at the extreme end of the motion. The notion that some is good, more is better, and too much is enough should not come into play. The exerecises should be considered as exercises done well within her strength resources and, just like any new exercise, the frequency and numbers should start low and increase over the span of 15 days. Start out with one set of 10 to 15 done very other day for the first six day interval. Go to a two day on/one day off schedule for the next nine days. Add a second set if she feels nothing more than tired or sore muscles. Expect some mild muscle soreness in the areas that work to move her arms. Stop doing the exercises if she has and pain in area between (and including) the acromioclavicular joint and greater tubercle.
shoulder_anatomy_ant_muscle.jpg

She may have a strong core, but there are plenty of strong kids who do not really use their core muscles correctly (at all) for their skills. Often shoulder flex can be limited by the pectoral muscles, just laying on your back near an edge such as a beam or a bed and letting the arms hang will give a nice stretch. One thing that did wonders for me personally was deep tissue massage, it achieved far more that stretching ever did, but this would depend on the individuals issues. As you can see from iwannacoach's picture, there are many muscles and tendons in the shoulder that may be inhibit her flexibility.

.... this is a really good shoulder flexion/pike stretch. I find it stretches the shoulders more than a standard cat stretch.

That is my favorite stretch for kids with average or better shoulder flexibility. I used it my self when I was training many, many, many years ago.......

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back