Coaches Why can't this kid do a cartwheel?!?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

FormFreak

I tried to make a title that would hopefully attract people, haha!

Background:
-Anyways, I teach a lot of beginners and I think I dread teaching cartwheels the most. I've taught kips and back tuck, etc easier than a cartwheel. I have a private lesson with this girl who's mom wants her to improve her cartwheels. She hand-picked me and likes me the most so I feel like I will fail her if she doesn't get her cartwheel or at least improve it.

TO THE POINT!
-How do you teach a kid to get their legs over their head during their cartwheel, rather than 'around the world' as I call it. This girl simply has a hard time kicking her leg up and over her head. She can't kick into a handstand against the wall. She's extremely weak in just about every aspect. Her shoulders are getting stronger though. She can hold a handstand for awhile once I help her up into it. I'm having her do a lot of conditioning, mostly lower body and abs. Are these the right muscles to be focusing on for her problem?? I think maybe because of her weak abs she can't lift her leg up high?? (IDK maybe I'm way off on that, haha) and I figure she needs more leg strength to get more push off her base leg? I've tried several drills with her (during class for the past half-year at least). I always teach my kids cartwheels with these drills:
-cartwheel over a panel mat (hands on the mat and jump to the other side)
-cartwheel over flat mat (same as panel mat drill, just floor level)
-cartwheel on a straight line
-and for some kids I'll have them do a cartwheel against the wall, with their belly facing the wall.

Sorry for being so long-winded, I just don't want people to respond with stuff I've already tried, haha.

I really want to help her get this cartwheel because she has been working FOREVER on it and I don't want to fail the parents. They are putting money out for these private lessons. :confused:

-and for some kids I'll have them do a cartwheel against the wall, with their belly facing the wall.

Variation on this--put a hill mat standing up against a wall. Place a velcro line or similar next to this and have the girl do a cartwheel on the line, belly facing the hill. I would advise spotting this at first.

Cartwheel over a mailbox mat. Cartwheel from lunge. Both of these help to kick harder.

You may need to spot her many times through the cartwheel too. She just might not "get it."

Good luck and welcome to CB!

Variation on this--put a hill mat standing up against a wall. Place a velcro line or similar next to this and have the girl do a cartwheel on the line, belly facing the hill. I would advise spotting this at first.

Cartwheel over a mailbox mat. Cartwheel from lunge. Both of these help to kick harder.

You may need to spot her many times through the cartwheel too. She just might not "get it."

Good luck and welcome to CB!

Hmmm I didn't think about the mailbox drill. I may try that.

This girl is just really uncoordinated. I don't think she's ready for the cartwheels against the wall. She can barely get her legs to horizontal in her "around the world" cartwheel. But I'll try and see how she does with that.

I've tried to work with a few kids who had a really hard time with cartwheels and I understand your frustration. I use some of the drills you listed, but do have a few other tips as well, not sure they will work for this particular child but I figured they would be worth a mention.
To practice the "kick" I will have them stand in a lunge in front of a panel mat and try to kick to a handstand with their hands on top of the panel mat. They can keep their legs split, especially when first learning, and progress to getting to a vertical handstand with time and practice. You can do a similar drill with a cheese mat against a wall. Have them stand in front of it in a lunge, kick up to a half handstand (legs still split) and try to touch the back foot to the cheese mat. Let me know if that doesn't make sense, I'm not very good at describing drills in writing.
Another thing that seems to work for some kids is to tell them to try to "touch the ceiling" or "kick the lights" with their toes when they do their cartwheel. It's really simple, but it can be just what some kids need to hear and can make a huge difference.

This girl is just really uncoordinated. She can barely get her legs to horizontal in her "around the world" cartwheel.

How old is the child?

If she can barely do a "baby" cartwheel the parents money may be better spent on an additional weekly class than on private lessons. Adding another class would help increase her overall strength, body awareness etc. and usually buys the kid about a month of gym classes instead of an hour.

I'm actually kind of surprised that anyone would request or that the gym would accept a private for a cartwheel, esp. if the child isn't ready. But I know some gyms "push" privates and would be reluctant to tell the parent that getting a private may not really resolve the issue.

She can't kick into a handstand against the wall.

Everything in gymnastics (especially on floor) is dependant on a strong handstand. If she can't kick to a handstand yet, trying to teach her a cartwheel will likely be about as effective (and as much fun) as repeatedly hitting yourself in the head with a two-by-four.

I would focus first on the handstand, and wouldn't even worry about the cartwheel until she can hit a strong handstand. She doesn't need to be able to hold it for a long time by herself, but she needs to have an understanding of the position.

Everything in gymnastics (especially on floor) is dependant on a strong handstand. If she can't kick to a handstand yet, trying to teach her a cartwheel will likely be about as effective (and as much fun) as repeatedly hitting yourself in the head with a two-by-four.

this was my thought too.:D

How old is the child?

If she can barely do a "baby" cartwheel the parents money may be better spent on an additional weekly class than on private lessons. Adding another class would help increase her overall strength, body awareness etc. and usually buys the kid about a month of gym classes instead of an hour.

I'm actually kind of surprised that anyone would request or that the gym would accept a private for a cartwheel, esp. if the child isn't ready. But I know some gyms "push" privates and would be reluctant to tell the parent that getting a private may not really resolve the issue.

I agree. The girl is I think around 5 or 6, but she's a big kid. The gym I teach at now is not a large competitive gym. The kids that come here are mostly here because their parents want them in some activity and just for coordination and strength training.We are trying to build up a rep, but that's another story. A lot of the parents aren't trying to make them the next Nastia or Shawn. Our "rival" gym so to speak gets most of the really talented kids.

This girl is coming to the gym 2-3 times a week for regular classes and then has privates with me. The mom is just REALLY set on this kid being able to do cartwheels and so on. She's been coming to our gym for quite a while. She's just one of those girls where gymnastics is not her thing.

I had her in class this morning and tried to do cartwheels against the wall, but it freaks her out and she keeps her knees bent, when she lunges forward and puts her hands on the ground, her kicking leg is still on the ground...I think she has trouble combining the different things I teach her.

Everything in gymnastics (especially on floor) is dependant on a strong handstand.
I would focus first on the handstand, and wouldn't even worry about the cartwheel until she can hit a strong handstand. She doesn't need to be able to hold it for a long time by herself, but she needs to have an understanding of the position.

I agree too. The kid signed up for 4 privates. I had the 1st 2 lessons already and did spend a good amount of time on kicking into a handstand against a wall. I think I'm concerned with what the parents will think when they don't see me working on cartwheels like they requested. Her dad has been bringing her, but he doesn't speak much English so it's hard to explain what I'm trying to do. Hopefully the mom can come next time and I can explain things to her.

Have her just do handstand stomach to the wall (wall walk up is easier than kicking up back to wall) and try to step down sideways (CW step down) rather than trying to kick into CW facing wall at this point. If she can't do that, do wall walk up to handstand (leave hands out a foot or two) then wall walk sideways (both sides) to develop lateral motion in the handstand. She should be able to do this five steps one way and five steps back the other (or more) without collapsing or coming down in between.

Spot CW holding the upper thighs, this way you can bring the legs over the head. You mentioned she's bigger so this is hard with like, teenagers, but this is how I spot any kid under 7. I hold the second hand back (so they can only drop their first arm at first) then once they reach that arm down I drop their second arms and lift from the upper thighs to bring their legs overhead. Their back is facing you.

Have her just do handstand stomach to the wall (wall walk up is easier than kicking up back to wall) and try to step down sideways (CW step down) rather than trying to kick into CW facing wall at this point. If she can't do that, do wall walk up to handstand (leave hands out a foot or two) then wall walk sideways (both sides) to develop lateral motion in the handstand. She should be able to do this five steps one way and five steps back the other (or more) without collapsing or coming down in between.

Spot CW holding the upper thighs, this way you can bring the legs over the head. You mentioned she's bigger so this is hard with like, teenagers, but this is how I spot any kid under 7. I hold the second hand back (so they can only drop their first arm at first) then once they reach that arm down I drop their second arms and lift from the upper thighs to bring their legs overhead. Their back is facing you.

Wow, I really like those drills... I will definitely try that with her. When, I say she's bigger, I mean just bigger for her age. I've spotted teenagers before even though some of them are almost as tall as me. If I have kids who have trouble getting their legs over their head, I spot them by hold their ankle of their kicking leg and guide it over their head. I think my other hand is on their waste or something. I will def. try holding their thighs hopefully that'll help guide both of their legs.

Thanks!

I tried to make a title that would hopefully attract people, haha!

Background:
-Anyways, I teach a lot of beginners and I think I dread teaching cartwheels the most. I've taught kips and back tuck, etc easier than a cartwheel. I have a private lesson with this girl who's mom wants her to improve her cartwheels. She hand-picked me and likes me the most so I feel like I will fail her if she doesn't get her cartwheel or at least improve it.

TO THE POINT!
-How do you teach a kid to get their legs over their head during their cartwheel, rather than 'around the world' as I call it. This girl simply has a hard time kicking her leg up and over her head. She can't kick into a handstand against the wall. She's extremely weak in just about every aspect. Her shoulders are getting stronger though. She can hold a handstand for awhile once I help her up into it. I'm having her do a lot of conditioning, mostly lower body and abs. Are these the right muscles to be focusing on for her problem?? I think maybe because of her weak abs she can't lift her leg up high?? (IDK maybe I'm way off on that, haha) and I figure she needs more leg strength to get more push off her base leg? I've tried several drills with her (during class for the past half-year at least). I always teach my kids cartwheels with these drills:
-cartwheel over a panel mat (hands on the mat and jump to the other side)
-cartwheel over flat mat (same as panel mat drill, just floor level)
-cartwheel on a straight line

Sorry for being so long-winded, I just don't want people to respond with stuff I've already tried, haha.

I really want to help her get this cartwheel because she has been working FOREVER on it and I don't want to fail the parents. They are putting money out for these private lessons. :confused:
I actually had a kid like this! What I did was took her to low beam. I had her do the first half of the CW like I was coaching CW to HS dismount. They have a harder time "going around the world" because of gravity. Took several weeks as I only had her 1hr a week with 6 other kids, but truly helped and she was that much more ahead when it came to learning the dismount on beam.

Cartwheel OFF of a panel mat, stand on panel long ways, hands go on panel, feet kick over to floor.
sometimes they are kicking around b/c they are kicking too slow to get over the top, going off the mat buys them a little extra time and room to get all the way over from a slow kick.

If you don't mind, I'm going to post every single cartwheel drill I can think of with the hope that something might help your gymnast! (I've tried to leave out anything already mentioned)

I must say I have sympathy with you - I find Cartwheels the hardest thing to teach to someone who just doesn't get it too!

A few different methods in no particular order:

Method 1 - THE BENCH METHOD

1. Bunny hops side to side over a bench
2. Straddle bunny hops over a bench (hands on bench, hop closest leg to bench over to the other side, quickly followed by the other (Not intended to be full on cartwheels over the bench, just the 'one leg followed by the other action)
3. As above but encourage gymnast to raise hips above head - coach to support hips
4. As above, but now ask the gymnast to start a little bit away from the bench so that she can actually step and kick into it. Again support at hips

All above to be done on both 'sides' to ensure gymnast can cartwheel on both legs!

5. Cartwheel 1/4 turn off end of bench.

Method 2 - THE ROPE METHOD

1. Place a number of skipping ropes (without wooden handles) out on the floor - place one in a straight line, and the others one slightly more curved than the next.
2. Have the gymnast start with the rope with the most 'curve' in it, and then try a baby cartwheel placing both hands and feet on the rope - as she gets more competent at it, move on to the next rope, finishing with the straight line.

(This is personally my least favourite method - but it really works for some gymnasts - I had one gymnast who just couldn't cartwheel. 10 minutes of this exercise and she had it!)

Method 3 - The coaches knees method!

My favourite as long as you don't mind the gymnast using your knees as a base (and sometimes the odd kick in the head!)

1. Coach kneels down on 2 knees. Gymnast does a bunny hop up to handstand with their hands on the coaches' knees - the coach supports the hips. Once up in handstand, have the gymnast open their legs as wide as possible, and then the coach 'finishes' the carthwheel off for them by placing them to one side or the other (preferably both!)

2. As above with coach kneeling, but this time the gymnast kicks into the cartwheel from their chosen side - remind them that their hands should face you the coach. You can always stop them in handstand to correct and shapes.

3. build up to full speed!

Other bits and pieces
I like to give a demonstration and call out 'FOOT, HAND, HAND, FOOT, FOOT' as each touches the floor, and I also try and make a loud bang as each goes down, purely to emphasise the order. I then invite the gymnasts to have a go too and see who can also make 5 correct sounds.

Remind the gymnast to keep her legs as wide apart as possible
Tell her to try and kick the ceiling!
Sometimes my gymnasts have to try to 'paint the ceiling' with their toes and we actually pretend to tie paintbrushes to their feet - just something silly to make the session fun!

I've also used rubber hands and feet on the floor for the gymnasts to actually put their own hands and feet on top of, but I found this slightly annoying as the gymnasts feet stuck to the rubber feet and occasionally a rubber foot would come flying across the room to me! Also, If one hand or foot was slightly askew I found the gymnasts trying to put their bodies in the most awkward positions! There might be an alternative you can use though!

Good Luck!

Cartwheel OFF of a panel mat, stand on panel long ways, hands go on panel, feet kick over to floor.
sometimes they are kicking around b/c they are kicking too slow to get over the top, going off the mat buys them a little extra time and room to get all the way over from a slow kick.

I've done this with her... her feet always land in front of her on the side of the panel mat when i'm not spotting her.

Method 2 - THE ROPE METHOD

1. Place a number of skipping ropes (without wooden handles) out on the floor - place one in a straight line, and the others one slightly more curved than the next.
2. Have the gymnast start with the rope with the most 'curve' in it, and then try a baby cartwheel placing both hands and feet on the rope - as she gets more competent at it, move on to the next rope, finishing with the straight line.

(This is personally my least favourite method - but it really works for some gymnasts - I had one gymnast who just couldn't cartwheel. 10 minutes of this exercise and she had it!)

Other bits and pieces
I like to give a demonstration and call out 'FOOT, HAND, HAND, FOOT, FOOT' as each touches the floor, and I also try and make a loud bang as each goes down, purely to emphasise the order. I then invite the gymnasts to have a go too and see who can also make 5 correct sounds.

Remind the gymnast to keep her legs as wide apart as possible
Tell her to try and kick the ceiling!
Sometimes my gymnasts have to try to 'paint the ceiling' with their toes and we actually pretend to tie paintbrushes to their feet - just something silly to make the session fun!

I've also used rubber hands and feet on the floor for the gymnasts to actually put their own hands and feet on top of, but I found this slightly annoying as the gymnasts feet stuck to the rubber feet and occasionally a rubber foot would come flying across the room to me! Also, If one hand or foot was slightly askew I found the gymnasts trying to put their bodies in the most awkward positions! There might be an alternative you can use though!

Good Luck!

The rope method actually sounds like it may work for this girl. I will try that. I like to tell my girls to imagine a bunch of crayons between their toes and to draw a big rainbow over their head...I think this only works for certain girls... I really wish my gym had the rubber hands and feet. My old gym did, but this one is not as well-equipped so i have to improvise.

Thanks!

I also use the CW off the panel mat exercise. If her feet tend to go off to the side, you could always put a carpet square, chalk marks, or something like that out in front of the panel mat for her feet to land on. I find that this works for my students (usually).

I also do what I call "CW in the Canyon". I set an open incline mat against a wall and then right out in front of it, I will set up another set of soft mats that are around waist to chest high. Leave a space in between the incline & the other mats (usually start this space wide & as they get better I will make it more narrow) and have them do their CW in that space w/o hitting any of the mats w/their legs. It teaches them to kick higher & to go straight. My students really enjoy doing this exercise. If they do happen to hit any mats, it doesn't hurt though.

There are alot of great ideas posted. I know this is an older post, but really wanted to reply to it. I have had students like this where I try everything and just can't get it. What I do at this point is step back (not literally :eek:) And try to think about what the real source of the problem is. For instance, I had a girl who had this same problem for cartwheels and handstands. She just couldn't get her feet and legs over her head. I realized that the problem was just with her hips, she just needed to realize how to open up her hips which in turn naturally brought her legs up. So I just did a few drills to teach open hips and she got it pretty quick. It was a proud coaching moment. :eek:) Hope this helps.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm glad I found it. I am going to be helping an entire squad of cheerleaders with their cartwheels tomorrow. I needed some good drills, so this is great.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back