Parents Why does your child do gymnastics? (ask him/her!)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

duyetanh

Proud Parent
Based on another thread, I thought it would be interesting to hear what our children's responses would be. I know I personally love why my child does it-the gained confidence, coping with difficult situations, time management, strength in mind and body...the list goes on and on. But I had never asked my child what drives her passion. So tonight I did. Her response:

"I get to learn really cool tricks, and fly over the vault table. I love that vault table. And I get big muscles. I know I am strong. None of my friends (she meant non gym friends) can say they have a six pack!" (as she flexed her muscles, posing). "I also love the meets, it is so exciting to wear my awesome competition leo, and compete; I wish I could wear that leo everyday! And we get special family time when we travel for meets, and I see cool things and get to stay in fun hotels."

Curious what your child/children will say. For the record, my child just turned 8 and I wrote word for word what she said. I am sure at different ages, it will mean different things. :)

My daughter is in bed. But I know the answer :) She would say that it's because she is really a monkey at heart and that she loves to tumble and do swing on the bars. Especially giants. And that her favorite thing is to beat all the boys in PE because she is stronger than anyone in her whole school. She came home a few weeks ago with bruises on her elbows from arm wrestling the boys at recess!

She's 9.

"I love gymnastics because I learn new skills and it's really fun, and I love being flexible. And I love doing flips, and it's really fun. And I like my friends on the team. And there's a lot of conditioning and I like that too. And I like back hip circles. And I like trying new things."
:D

She's 8.

My daughter said because you tell me too. ;)

This is somewhat accurate as I tell her she must do something, as staying home and watching screen is not an option.

She has rejected marital arts, piano, soccer, ice skating/hockey, baseball, girl scouts, dance of any kind, music, art lessons, cheer.

So gymnastics it is. :D

#1 because all my friends are there.....the good kind of friends, not the gossipy two faced friends at school.
#2 because its terrifying, and awesome at the same time.
#3 because i'm good at it.

What she hates about gymnastics....
The FHS vault because its boring.

could we be creating adrenaline junkies?

"I love doing gymnastics and it's a good way for me to be challenged, because I like to be challenged. Gymnastics is a good thing for that. It provides lots of things you need to master. I just love it. It's an awesome sport. And I get a chance to bring out my competitiveness because I'm pretty competitive. I also get to release some of the energy I have."

(I actually put her in gymnastics at 3 because she was so energetic!)

She's 12. :D

I dont think I have ever asked my son this question and he has been doing gym for nearly 6 years!

Anyway he said.....because its fun and I love it, and I like to work on new skills and I feel real joy when I get them. I like to be busy and hang out with my friends. I like doing the exercise and getting strong!

Anyway that told me!! He is 11

I asked both my girls. DD1 (14) said, "because it's fun". I told her I'd thought she would say because gymnastics is life (she says that all the time) and she said, "well, it wouldn't be life if it wasn't fun, right." DD2 (12) said "because it's fun". I told her that her sister said the same exact thing and she said, "isn't it great- it's so simple to love gymnastics because it's so fun." Then she turned to her sister and they both yelled "twinning!" Lol.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back