WAG Why don't other sports...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

.....Agreed, 100% and at what cost or gain? I'm not really sure... There are so many other experiences out there other than gym.

Especially at levels 9/10. And especially if you aren't on a track towards a scholarship.

I truly admire the girls and their family to continue to sacrifice the time, grades, money, and their bodies to the sport once they realize that gymnastics won't be their ticket to college.

As a figure skater, this is exactly why I think Olympic medals should be different sizes based of the pure difficulty of the sport. It bugs me that someone who has a gold medal in CURLING gets the same gold medal as a figure skater. (We can say the same thing for gymnastics and...archery to compare) lol hope that makes sense.

It's also a conditioning thing for gym, you have to keep your muscles where they need to be, or your skills aren't going to be kept up. You can stop playing baseball for 10 years, but pick it up and still hit the ball. Doesn't work that way for gymnastics skills.

I'm rambling. But I hope it makes sense.

Most other sports do not require the number of hours because their level of expertise is not nearly as high. You learn to throw, catch, and hit a ball. Sure, there are variations and of course you need to practice a lot to get good but once you learn the basics, it is just about perfecting them and getting stronger. Gymnastics is not like that. You are constantly learning new, harder skills - even at level 10. In order to perfect these skills and be strong enough to learn them, you need to be in the gym at increasingly higher hours.
This is basically what I was trying to say....but I said it in more confusing words

Notthatmom, actually archery is pretty intense mentally, and does require physical strength ( upper body). National level junior archers practice about 3-4 hours a day.

However, you can do it for fun without potentially killing yourself. You could say the same for figure skating.

As a figure skater, this is exactly why I think Olympic medals should be different sizes based of the pure difficulty of the sport. It bugs me that someone who has a gold medal in CURLING gets the same gold medal as a figure skater. .......But I hope it makes sense.

Every sport I different. Support gymnastics, say it requires strength, flexibility and fast twitch muscles but please please don't think that your judgement about your perception of other sports should equal the size of medals or their difficulty.

I HATE the gymnastics shirts that bash football. High level Football players can't do gymnastics but gymnasts are not safe playing high level football either.

Most curlers are adults with full time jobs and families and train long and hard for their sport. If a sport is in the Olympics then all medals are equal.

Many gymnasts think AA gold is worth more than gold in an event final, but really, a gold medal is a gold medal. They are not prorated.

I really didn't mean to offend anyone, I just expressed my opinion... I'm appreciative of any Olympian, I have the utmost respect for anyone who makes it to that level.

I think it's always just been the competitive athlete in me, that makes me "judge" other sports and their difficulty. Some sports are more difficult than others, plain and simple. Gymnasts and figure skaters train much harder than other athletes because the level of skill requires it.

Maybe all sports are equally difficult, we'd never know unless we tried absolutely everything ourselves...who knows really.

If I offended anyone I'm really sorry.

Here is a good example. We started my DD at age 3 or 4 in a very low key rec program. She had no fear and was great by time the coach said I needed to move her to a real gymnastics place she was 5 or 6. She by then had already developed a big fear of beam which follows her to this day. Had she been doing more earlier that fear may not have occurred till she was well past a skill. My DD is all around good at whatever she does which amazes me cause I never had a sports bone in my body. I don't think of gymnastics as taking away from her life but adding an enriching part to it. She is learning to be physically fit. Balance, gaining muscle strength. Not being afraid to stand and be the center of attention in a group of several hundred people, the importance of supporting and encouraging others and the discipline of being in the gym and working hard. I get to see those smiles when she finally gets a new skill. Personally my only regret would be making her do it if it wasn't her choice. I am just happy I have a kid who is busy with something good and not sitting around a friends how on electronics.

...train as hard, long and young as gymnastics? Why hasn't someone created some kind of superstar soccer academy that trains 6hrs a week at 6yrs old?

I'm being serious.

they have in certain parts of the country.

and there is so much to learn in gymnastics that we actually don't have enough hours over their shelf life.

in gymnastics, you can never be "all that you can be". :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back