Will the start value for individual comp. be 10?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Good to remember that the US Junior Olympic system is about the only one that uses the 10 for meets. The rest of the world has been using FIG scoring for years.

Good to remember that the US Junior Olympic system is about the only one that uses the 10 for meets. The rest of the world has been using FIG scoring for years.
So kinda like the metric system? It's probably better, but we like the old way!! lol

I still don't get why so many dislike the new system. You can still get a perfect 10 as far as I can tell. Someone else can get an even better (higher difficulty) perfect 10 and beat you. It's not terribly different from the old system, as not all routines had a 10.0 start value, and so we're largely in the same place as before - start value and execution.

I like the new system actually. I feel like it is a lot more transparent, for the most part, than the old system. I don't mind there being no "perfect 10," like wall said, you can still get a perfect 10 on your E score. It really isn't all that confusing either if you know each gymnast's D score, which they usually show. You just take the D score, add 10 for the e score, and that's the max score for that gymnast. So everyone's perfect is different, which makes sense, since they're not all competing at the same level.

I have become much more comfortable with it the past year, as I really tried to figure it out. But it's a killer trying to explain it to anyone just casually interested in gymnastics and is looking for the "10" equivalent - dh :)

Hahaha, I can totally relate...I don't even try to explain the FIG scoring to dh (and honestly, he really doesn't care! :eek:). I thought he was going to have a seizure after some of L4 comps he had to sit through last season. He can't take the music. Ha! :rolleyes:

I have become much more comfortable with it the past year, as I really tried to figure it out. But it's a killer trying to explain it to anyone just casually interested in gymnastics and is looking for the "10" equivalent - dh :)

I personally prefer the new system, it certainly has given elite gymnastics more scope. In Australia we have been using the new scoring system for our kids right from level 1 since 2006, lol and the metric system since 1966.

I personally prefer the new system, it certainly has given elite gymnastics more scope. In Australia we have been using the new scoring system for our kids right from level 1 since 2006, lol and the metric system since 1966.

I believe we just need to switch over on both - cold turkey... We have been trying to ease the metric system into our school for 50 years, thinking that if you teach the kids, it will eventually make the switch. Unfortunately, they teach it as a topic but still use the old English system for everything else (except science classes).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back