Women's Team Finals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It's disrespectful to our country for her to act like this.....she didn't do it when she won the AA in 2012 either...I don't think there's any story to it but if I were Marta , I would have given a tutorial to the team on how one behaves when your national anthem is played, followed with the fact that I expected everyone to comply...
I totally agree with you. I was actually shocked after trials that no one was talking about it. I didn't realize it happened it 2012 too. Very odd. It clearly must be intentional? There's got to be a story... ETA: my "there's got to be a story" was not disagreeing with you, just shock! So hard to read text as intended sometimes...I didn't want to look like that was snotty!!! :)

How does she not know that it's appropriate to put her hand on her heart? Most USOlympians do it ( someone can fill me in on the exception).

I think it's carelessness. Not a statement.

I would almost buy that except... She grew up going to meets where every.single.one is begun with the National anthem. Every time the gymnasts are lined up with their hands over their hearts. My dd is only in her third year of competing and I'd say she's done this at least 30 times now. It's almost rote. To choose not to by the time she's a 20 year old with 100's of meets under her belt is exactly that, a choice. The question is, why? What's the reason behind it?

She posted a response on Twitter:

"In response to a few tweets I saw tonight, I always stand at attention out of respect for our country whenever the national anthem is played," she wrote. "I never meant any disrespect and apologize if I offended anyone. I'm so overwhelmed at what our team accomplished today and overjoyed that we were able to bring home another gold for our country!"

Did Al Trautwig actually say "helicopter thing" in reference to Simone's wolf turn?

yup. Just more of NBC's "dumbing it down for the average american" Because you know, it would be too difficult for us to remember "wolf turn." :rolleyes: I have to say I enjoyed watching the men's live feed and learning the names of some of the High bar release moves as Jonathon Horton explained it.

She posted a response on Twitter:

"In response to a few tweets I saw tonight, I always stand at attention out of respect for our country whenever the national anthem is played," she wrote. "I never meant any disrespect and apologize if I offended anyone. I'm so overwhelmed at what our team accomplished today and overjoyed that we were able to bring home another gold for our country!"

Except that she WASN'T standing at attention. She wasn't even standing up straight if you watch the video. If you know anything about body lanquage, there was something up...

yup. Just more of NBC's "dumbing it down for the average american" Because you know, it would be too difficult for us to remember "wolf turn." :rolleyes:

I think it's just that Trautwig doesn't know a thing about this sport. Either Tim or Nastia (don't remember which) used the correct term moments later. I find Al's comments to be useless at best, and oftentimes they are silly, inane, or downright demeaning.

STOP. So sick of the hate with Gabby...it's ridiculous. She is definitely not the first to not put her hand over her heart during "The Star Spangled Banner", and she certainly won't be the last. I was always taught to have my hand over my heart during the "Pledge of Allegiance"...but I always see different variations of stances during "The Star Spangled Banner". Some put their hand over their heart like in the Pledge, some put their hands behind their back (I see coaches at meets doing this all the time), some interlace their hands and sing...yes, hand over your heart is the norm...but not a LAW. You are not going to get penalized for not doing so, unless just by the media who have nothing better to make drama about. Seriously, get over it. She just competed for our country and won the gold. Cut the girl some slack.

I didn't like Aly telling them all to bite their medals. I prefer it when they kiss the medals or just hold them. I know she is the captain but it's not like the others haven't been in awards ceremonies before. It came across less as leading and more as bossing.

I didn't get that vibe at all. She saw hundreds of media cameras taking pictures of them and leaned over and told Simone that they should bite their medals, as so many other athletes do.

Attachments

• 400team3.jpg
    400team3.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 75
It's disrespectful to our country for her to act like this.....she didn't do it when she won the AA in 2012 either...I don't think there's any story to it but if I were Marta , I would have given a tutorial to the team on how one behaves when your national anthem is played, followed with the fact that I expected everyone to comply...

Honestly, this is BS. My DH is in the service and half the MILkids I know (of which she is one) don't do hand over heart. Americans need to get off the symbolic patriotism BS and care about what really matters. Standing silently or at attention is perfectly appropriate. Love how we just haaaave to find something to ***** about.

I didn't get that vibe at all. She saw hundreds of media cameras taking pictures of them and leaned over and told Simone that they should bite their medals, as so many other athletes do.

Yeah I didn't find that bossy. I am around teen girls a lot and they are always "planning" their poses for pics. This comment by Aly seems completely normal to me.

I dont put my hand over my heart when the national anthem is played. My grandfathers, father and husband all served in the military for our country and I think, unequivocally that this is the greatest country on earth. You going to try to tell me I do not support my country and I am disrespectful because I don't put my hand over my heart in some arbitrary display of what you think is patriotism?

She's representing her country, so she should act like she's been there before.....but alas, crass is as crass does....nice work Natalie...

It would be a different, but still not a defensible, story if she was just in a meet for herself but this is the kind of "team player" she is....
I am truly at a loss at this post and the number of likes it has received. This 20 year old young woman just helped win the gold medal for the US and this is what you have to say to her, to call her crass. I just don't understand the level of derision and spite, at a loss. I shouldn't post after having a couple glasses of wine with a lovely dinner while watching O's with family, but after the joy of watching the US women win in such an amazing way and this is your response? I just don't get it and it makes me sad.

I am truly at a loss at this post and the number of likes it has received. This 20 year old young woman just helped win the gold medal for the US and this is what you have to say to her, to call her crass. I just don't understand the level of derision and spite, at a loss. I shouldn't post after having a couple glasses of wine with a lovely dinner while watching O's with family, but after the joy of watching the US women win in such an amazing way and this is your response? I just don't get it and it makes me sad.

You're better than me b/c it makes me spitting mad. The spite was directed not just at her, but at her mother, too. It's incredibly tacky and uncalled for. In my 20 years as a MILspouse, the families I see day-in and day-out have a much deeper understanding of patriotism and service and sacrifice that goes far beyond token gestures. If putting your hand on your heart or slapping a bumper sticker on your car or playing patriotism policeman on the Interwebz is all it takes to be an American, God help us all.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back