Parents Woodward in early June

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

cbifoja

Proud Parent
Reaction score
I'm expecting fairly cool nights still and I'll pack for both temp possibilities as far as regular clothes but can anyone tell me what the insect situation is like this time of year for this area? Is it buggy? My child attracts mosquitoes like iron shavings to a magnet.

This is the one in PA, not out west.

I asked DD because she has been at Woodward in early June for the past 3 years (not this year... possibly later in the summer, depending on her healing foot). She says, as far as bugs go, there are lots of ants, and one year she found a Luna moth (she's a budding entomologist) but Mosquitos weren't bad.

Since you're going to Woodward, let me plug the Elk Creek Cafe in nearby Millheim. They brew their own beer and cook with local ingredients. You can sit there in this very cool modern space with funky modern (also local) art all over the walls with a beer in your hand and watch Amish horse-drawn buggies ride by. Sort of surreal but fun. Live music some nights too. There's also a nice little wine shop and a coffee shop with the best brownies ever in Millheim.

I hope your DD has a blast!

The Elk Creek Cafe sounds right up my alley. Unfortunately, I'm sending DD with her team and won't be in the area. :( Your description of the Milheim makes me even sadder that I can't be there. I want to go!!!!! Sounds wonderful....mornings/early afternoons exploring the area, late afternoon by the pool, dinner with wine and back to the hotel for some reading/TV/computer time and then bed. Heavenly!

Very cool about the luna moth! I'm glad there are children that can appreciate insects. Mine is afraid of everything from ladybugs to butterflies. She's even afraid of earthworms! So silly!

Very cool about the luna moth! I'm glad there are children that can appreciate insects. Mine is afraid of everything from ladybugs to butterflies. She's even afraid of earthworms! So silly!

DD is currently working on her end-of-year project about spiders. She currently has a ollection of clear plastic cups with a bunch of different varieties of spiders she has caught, identified and studied. Those will all be going into school with her this week, along with her pet tarantula. Good thing I'm not squeamish! Her counselors at Woodward have always told me that, if there's a bug in the cabin, everyone calls my DD. She will carefully scoop it up and return it to the great outdoors.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back