Parents Worthy of a gym switch?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flip4funmom

Proud Parent
I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with my son's gym. I loved it in the beginning but it seems they have doubled enrollments in the boys class recently and the quality of instruction has dropped drastically. I know my son is still young but it seems the coach is favorite game the older and more developed kids. I have spoke with the coach about not pairing my son up with a specific child and it continues to happen. I don't want to jump the gun and switch gyms as the availability of boys programs is already limited but I find myself annoyed every time we come. Things were better when we were invited to the other class but it doesn't work with our schedule right now. I kind of get the vibe, you can't make the times we want so your kid goes to the bottom of the list so to speak.

I need advice,

HELP!!!!!

Is your child in the wrong class for age and/or skill level? I ask because of your last couple of sentences. If that is the case, it could be part of the reason. Not sure about the pairing of the two boys. Is there a riff between them? Maybe the coach feels it is better that they are paired? Hard to know without the background information.

How long have you not been happy with the arrangement? What is the next step in terms of how long will he be in the class before moving up and what will the situation be at that point - coach, that child, level, your ability to get him to the classes?

We tend to make our schedule around the gymnastics schedule, because no gym is going to schedule around you. It's just not possible. If the other class was a better fit, I would change my schedule to do the other class before I would switch gyms. I believe your son is still very young. You don't want to start switching gyms this earlier in the process unless it's really necessary.

He is not in the wrong class for his age/skill but I guess it could be said that he is in the wrong class due to the group of boys. Weslan is one of those kids (at least in the gym) that won't be the first one to mess around but will follow along if others do. When we tried him in the other class he seemed to mesh with the boys better. It has only been about 5-6 weeks I've been unhappy. I'm not sure how long the situation will stay the same. He's about a year out from competition so I haven't asked at what point his hours will increase/change.

I totally understand needing to schedule around gym but I recently got an unexpected promotion which threw a kink in our schedule for the time being.

given your additional information, I don't think it merits a gym change, though you might want to find a way to do a class switch. Perhaps having a sitter or family member take him at a different time. And just providing some positive reinforcement for your son with reminders of why he is in class may help. Across the years, you will have this more than once where some of the kids goof around and sometimes cause others to follow suit. It is the nature of any class, regardless of how structured the group is run. As for the coach playing favorites, that is another issue. I suppose it would depend upon how far it goes and whether it is negatively affecting your son in the long run. Some kids just need more hands-on while others need monitoring from a distance and this is not just based on where they are in skill development but also how they best learn.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back