Parents Would you contact the meet director?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have to say thanks again to you all for calming my crazy . I definitely don't even think I'll talk to the coaches (unless it randomly comes up or something) venting on here and chatting with everyone helped a lot.

The day of I was just so incredibly pissed off (DDs video I took of her beam is horrible, I was shaking I was so angry)....I mean the one woman in particular was a special breed of crazy, she was spreading her jackets and other items across the seats because she was saving spots for SEVENTEEN people...I also may or may not have slightly put her in her place before I walked away, but well, someone had to. I've calmed down and I'm brought back to normal...

And it's totally true that I really am "notthatmom", I wouldn't want to have to change my username

I have to say thanks again to you all for calming my crazy . I definitely don't even think I'll talk to the coaches (unless it randomly comes up or something) venting on here and chatting with everyone helped a lot.

The day of I was just so incredibly pissed off (DDs video I took of her beam is horrible, I was shaking I was so angry)....I mean the one woman in particular was a special breed of crazy, she was spreading her jackets and other items across the seats because she was saving spots for SEVENTEEN people...I also may or may not have slightly put her in her place before I walked away, but well, someone had to. I've calmed down and I'm brought back to normal...

And it's totally true that I really am "notthatmom", I wouldn't want to have to change my username
You got off the crazy bus quickly, that is all that matters. :cool:

No . Aisle net to floor. Her walking blocked the whole tumbling run :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last year my daughter medaled at exactly one meet. I knelt down in the aisle where I could photograph her on the podium without blocking anyone else. I had the shot framed perfectly. The announcer said "Ladies, salute," and a mom in front of me lifted her phone up over her head so all I got was a close-up of her iPhone. I was so mad.

Now I have pretty much given up on podium photos. Any reasonable routine video is a lucky break. At yesterday's meet I couldn't even get an unobstructed in-person view of any of her routines because the gym setup was so lousy and people's heads were in the way.

I think you mentioned you were from IL before (sorry if I'm mistaken)....but if so, I know exactly what meet you're talking about as we went to it also..... and we had the same problem....UGH!! Very chaotic....seating to me was already an issue, but the session times made it even worse.

Spectator seating at a meet is always an unknown. At the lower levels, the guidance is 4-6 seats per gymnast (average); at the higher optional levels, the guidance is slightly over 1 seat per gymnast. We went to Level 9 westerns one year at a large venue and there were so few people in attendance that you could have heard a pin drop.

As for the sessions being to close together, this is always a dilemma; everyone wants the session schedule early (many complaints on CB to that effect, right?) but the best session schedule can't be generated until about 2 weeks before the meet so that last minute adds and deletes have been made. I am doing a huge meet coming up and all of the additions are making the sessions big; should I publish a new session schedule now and wreak havoc with everyone's already planned weekend or manage each session in a way that keeps things moving and finish on time? I have chosen the latter. Now, even with that things can happen. If there is an injury requiring competition stoppage or if there are equipment issues, the whole thing can be thrown off. A meet director's life on meet weekend is like juggling a bunch of plates on sticks. Can you imagine what it takes to do a meet like Chicago Style?

I think we were at the same meet, except DD competed Sunday. Your comment "this venue was particularly large (an expo building at a fair grounds)" caught my eye when I first read it because that is what DD's meet was in, and with AWGym thinking it was in IL, then I bet it is the same meet.

I will say this - we've attended this meet for several years, and it has run well every time, including yesterday. We really enjoy this meet and there has not ever been a problem with sessions running over/people trying to get seats. So I went and looked the Saturday session time breakdowns, and my guess is someone made a typo and no one caught it (you will see other sessions having less girls but more time). So in answer to your question, I don't think you'll need to mention it to your coaches, because I feel pretty confident that the host gym knows it was problem. :)

Now, if they could just do something about those support poles that get in my way...lol!

@AWGym and @kmc yep that was the one! I know that gym has been running that meet for a while, and the schedule mix up was surprising.
I looked and you're totally right, there definitely was a typo!
And yeah, those support poles were smack dab in the middle of the way! Lol

Our gym does this super awesome thing where we have the very front row for spectators designated for "papparazzi". If your child is on floor rotation you can pop up to the front row and get an unobstructed view to video tape them without worrying about someone walking in front of you.
We also do a draw for "best seat in the house". We haul a couch out of the office and plunk it right up front and raffle it off each session. We bring the winning family snacks and drinks and they have a super comfy view of all the action.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back