Parents Would you contact the meet director?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

notthatmom

Proud Parent
Im not sure what to do....
DD had a meet yesterday. When the schedule initially came out, we were all pretty surprised at how close the sessions were together (I'm talking 2.5 hours between open warm up for session 1 and open warm up for session 2). There were a lot of gyms in the first session as well, so I was impressed that they thought they could get thru the session that quickly....however I figured they knew what they were doing.

Low and behold, yesterday the session definitely ran "behind schedule". So as our girls were still competing, the parents for the next session were all arriving....and MOST of them couldn't understand the concept that the last session was still happening. There were people shoving thru the bleachers, walking right in front of us trying to find a seat etc. I spoke up to some of them, sternly but kind...saying "excuse me, our kids are still competing" "many of us will be leaving soon, can you please wait?" Etc. and most of them responded with "oh really? Oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't know". (I mean what the EFF did you think all these girls in leos were doing over there, hear that music? That's not an effing dance party!) one woman in particular was so horrible I wish smacking people in public were legal (I think she may have either been drunk or on heavy medication). I almost missed my daughter on beam because so many people were walking right in front of us.

Anyway, I was thinking of sending a note to the host gym making them aware of the situation. Just so in the future they can make an announcement, or signage that asks people to refrain from walking in front of spectators/sitting for the next session until the current session is over. For the most part the meet was run very well and the parents/volunteers from the gym were all very nice.

I just don't know if I should mention something about the original schedule (because ultimately the timing thing is completely their fault and the debacle with the clash of parents could have been easily avoided)

We are well enough thru the meet season for me to recognize when things go smoothly and when things don't, and this was so clearly a scheduling mistake at the gym's fault.

Anyway, this kind of turned into a novel, but I needed to let it all out.

So question, would you as a concerned (and annoyed) parent send anything? And if so what would you say?

I'd like to add, a perhaps wouldt contact the meet director specifically, just possibly the gym's main email address.

And again, I'd be very kind and nice about it, tell them that the meet was great, we'll run, nice facility etc. just bring up my concerns for the future so that gyms want to come back (because honestly, if that's how they schedule things every year, I'd seriously contemplate suggesting to our coach that our gym doesn't return next year).

Bring it up to your coach - don't personally contact another gym's meet director to complain. Your coach can take your complaints up the chain.

That's a good idea, I wouldn't want the gym to contact my DDs gym to tell them I complained directly (and unless I made some sort of anonymous complaint, with my last name it would be blatantly obvious who my daughter is and what gym we are from).

Plus I know DDs coaches are aware of the scheduling issue because they had a team in the session right after ours, so they too had to have been flustered as well (I mean really, I don't know if they got a chance to eat, or pee!) Meet season truly has made me appreciate DDs coaches more than ever before....I might sign them both up for a wine of the month club as an end-of-season present :)

I doubt anyone needs to say anything. Your coaches obviously saw the issue and I'm sure the meet directors realized their mistakes. I know our gym simply would never return to that meet (and I would guess others there for the fiasco wouldn't return either.)

My guess is that there were some novice parents setting up the meet schedule. I'm sure they learned a tough lesson and I bet their own team parents will complain as they would have experienced the same issue.

I'm sure they know, but if you're inclined I would talk to your coach about it. Just for the other side- we went to a meet where they wouldn't let anyone in for a new session until the previous was complete and it was no fun either (even though I know why they did it). Me and my DDs were standing in the rain freezing our butts off for somewhere between 15-25 mins. Not a great start to the meet for them- or me.

Trust me - they already know it. They know they blew it when setting the session schedule. Parents don't need to be rubbing salt in the wound of a volunteer staff. The best thing you can do is talk to your own gym's head coach or whoever sets the meet schedule and suggest not going to that meet in the future.

I predict you will see this more as you progress in the sport - it happens. Just deal with it the best you can.

I'm sure they know, but if you're inclined I would talk to your coach about it. Just for the other side- we went to a meet where they wouldn't let anyone in for a new session until the previous was complete and it was no fun either (even though I know why they did it). Me and my DDs were standing in the rain freezing our butts off for somewhere between 15-25 mins. Not a great start to the meet for them- or me.

Oh I don't mean not let them in the venue at all (that's craziness) I just mean they should ask parents to refrain from wandering around the bleacher area until it's cleared out from the last meet. Now this venue was particularly large (an expo building at a fair grounds) so there was plenty of room indoors for people to wait, other than on the bleachers/in front of the people who were still watching their kids.

That's horrible that they wouldn't even let you inside, I would be livid!

Trust me - they already know it. They know they blew it when setting the session schedule. Parents don't need to be rubbing salt in the wound of a volunteer staff. The best thing you can do is talk to your own gym's head coach or whoever sets the meet schedule and suggest not going to that meet in the future.

I predict you will see this more as you progress in the sport - it happens. Just deal with it the best you can.
Couldn't this have been somehow nipped in the bud by having admissions staff simply telling the new entrants that the session is not over and if they could show some patience and wait until the ongoing session is finished and allow those parents to leave?

Having said that I would venture most folks will simply bulldoze themselves into the stands no matter what you tell them.

My kid is an optional.
We have seen it all. And will continue to do so.
Sadly, it's the nature of the sport.
On a good note, it really makes you appreciate when it all goes smoothly!

No, no, no, no do not say anything. NEVER contact another gym over meet details! Don't call/email to ask about sessions.

Like others have said, they already know there was an issue with the event timing. It happens occasionally.

Also, this had a lot to do with the parents. They could see that gymnasts were still competing; they just wanted to grab some seats.

Ehhh...it's not uncommon for sessions to overlap, it happens all of the time. Especially if there is an unrealistic schedule and things run really late. We've seen this happen even at a regional meet.

I don't think the parents really meant any harm. I have been the parent coming in while another session is in progress and it's not any fun for them either. I try to stand to the side, but if I see seats come open (often times if a gymnast finishes up their family will go ahead and go to the awards area) you better believe I will go grab those seats, and while I will try to grab them as quickly and efficiently as possible I'm sure that I am blocking someone's view for a moment or so while we scoot in and sit down. Seating is so limited at meets, so when you come in as another session is finishing up, you had better grab the first seats you can get because you better believe everyone else is and if you politely wait for all of the previous session's parents to leave, you will be left with no seat at all as people are taking the seats as quickly as they open up.

For the most part if a meet is a mess and runs behind, the most I would do is mention it to your coaches (although they were probably just as frustrated as you and probably already know) and at our gym that if the coaches or the parents were unhappy with the way the meet is run, that usually means we won't attend that meet again.

However, if it was a state or regional meet running behind, hopefully parents or coaches will bring it up to the state/regional committee so that the hosting gym will not be awarded another state or regional bid until they get it together. Our regional meet last year was a complete mess, sessions running so late that kids were competing until almost midnight, unrealistic schedule, not enough space, etc. I'm sure they got many complaints.

Just throwing my 2 cents in....we sometimes will go in a little early if my DD has teammates in the session before or after us, esp if the team was split by age group. But I am not going to let my young daughter wonder in a gym without supervision. I understand your frustration as I have been on each side of it. We are all parents wanting to see her/his kid. Honestly, after 3 seasons I am delightfully surprised when a meet is on time! And I always feel bad for the poor families who go after us! To limit movement in and out becomes difficult and could potentially make supporting other teammates impossible.

At our meets they typically don't let next session spectators in until the current session ends. And yes I have waited in the rain and cold.

I would suggest to our coach not to go to that meet in the future.

At our meets they typically don't let next session spectators in until the current session ends. And yes I have waited in the rain and cold.

I would suggest to our coach not to go to that meet in the future.
Wanted to add, we are not required at every meet. That might be one I would consider opting out of if they went next year

I can understand people coming in for the next session if they see open seats. What Makes me mad is those parents who leave when their gymnast is done and don't get down even though I have my camera up recording MY gymmie, who is still competing.

Our meet Saturday was actually running ahead of schedule (home meet). We have plenty of seating for everyone in the session with space left over. There are stairs on both ends of the bleachers (you go down the stairs at an end, then go up the bleacher steps to where you want to sit... Or stay up top where we have short and tall chairs available).We also have plenty of seating in awards, so no need to rush.
I sit in the middle area on the bottom row. The left bleacher steps are to the left of me and the right bleacher steps are to the right of me. The only people that should walk in front of me are coaches and gymnasts... And most of them are considerate enough to duck if anyone is going on any equipment.

Someone came in for the next session with almost half the bleachers open... She walked over to where she and the 3 people with her blocked my view of the floor (which is literally right in front of me - I sit in front of the front right corner and couldn't see the left front quarter of the floor). They were standing there facing the bleachers, but looking up higher... having passed several empty spots and the first set of steps. I missed one of our team girl's entire routine. I had tried to get the lady's attention, but people were cheering for something (I think it was a L3 competing her kip for the first time from another gym) and she didn't hear or was just ignoring me. I finally asked her nicely to find a seat or get down because people were still competing. She looked at me like I was stupid or something. I pointed to the empty seats. She said she was looking for someone. I suggested she look from "over there" where she wouldn't be in anyone's way (enough open seating that she could stand in the second row of the bleachers and not block anyone's view of floor or bars - the only events still happening). Grrr.

I'm sure it was very frustrating but I wouldn't recommend reaching out to another gym to give them advice on how to run a meet. I suppose you could mention it to your coach or owner but definitely don't take it up yourself. You can be assured they'll figure out where you're from and you may get an earful from your own gym for doing it. We have very specific behaviour guidelines that parents and gymnasts are expected to follow when we attend another meet, one of those rules is that you should not disrespect another gym whose parents and staff work really hard to put on the competition by complaining.

I have a video today, with a woman walked right across my kids tumbling run. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back