Wrist guards?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was just curious about what level/ skills you start to need wrist guards for as some of my friends at gym have been talking about getting them but i dont think we need them yet?

thanks

You don't need wrist guards unless your wrists need extra support. These things can become a replacement for proper wrist and arm conditioning. Just because someone else has them doesn't mean that everyone should have them. Your coach or doctor should be the one involved in the determination of need for wrist supports, not another gymnast's sense of fashion.

There is a school of thought that says anyone whose growth plates are still open and is flipping Yurchenkos should be using them.

There was a fairly recent thread that discussed wrist injuries in gymnastics.

I would say you don't necessarily need wrist guards at any level until your wrists hurt. I never used to use them until I started doing gym twice a week and focusing hard on backwalkovers and handsprings. That put a lot of pressure on my wrists and now I can't even do a handstand without my wrists hurting. If you want to get wrist guards I got mine at wal-mart. They are really nice and help a lot.

Wrist Problems for Gymnasts

Seems the school of thought in the US is to have gymnasts that are doing Yurchenko entry vaults wear wrist guards. I know my gymmie's coaches wouldn't let her start flipping them off the table until she had them. Also some girls need them on a case by case basis due to injuries.

Since they come in many colors, some girls just buy them to look fashionable and don't really need them.

My dd's gym required all optional girls to have them about 2 years ago. My dd was still a compulsory at that time, so she wasn't interested. Later, I got her some, but even though she is now level 7, she still doesn't use them, even though everyone else in her group does. She has them if she wants, but she doesn't feel it is necessary yet.

MamaofEnS

Seems the school of thought in the US is to have gymnasts that are doing Yurchenko entry vaults wear wrist guards. I know my gymmie's coaches wouldn't let her start flipping them off the table until she had them. Also some girls need them on a case by case basis due to injuries.

Since they come in many colors, some girls just buy them to look fashionable and don't really need them.

my daughter started learning Yurchenkos and her left wrist has been bothering her. The coach let her use a wrist support thing on her left wrist and it seems to help alot so I guess I will need to break down and get her some of her own. Now the question is what are the better ones? Any suggestions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back