WAG Wrist shifting on bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anyone have any drills that help explain wrist shifting for bars? These specific kids have the right idea/form to do skills like clearhip to handstand and monkey circles/monkey gaints, but their wrists are always caught at the bottom, because they forget to shift. Any drills, tips, or suggestions?

Anyone that can go clearhip HS can already shift their wrists! Not sure if a 'monkey circle' is the same thing as a front or back 'frog', (sole circle) but we lots of those. Also, force them to do straight arm backhip circles with smaller and smaller casts until they can do it with no cast. Some people take a wooden dowel about the size of a bar and have the kids rapidly shift it around in their hands in the direction of a shift (like a motorcycle throttle).

Do the kids have particularly small hands? I know sometimes my coach will suggest a way to shift my hands in a skill; only to learn my hands are too small for that particular method. So maybe it's not that they don't understand the shifting, but more that they physically cannot so what you're telling them

Gymsanity- the kids dont have clearhip to handstand yet just because of their lack of wrist shifting:p thank you for the 'motorcycle' drill sounds great!

Rockyrose- the kids dont have particularly small hands so I dont know what it could be

Sent from my GT-P3113 using ChalkBucket mobile app

My coach had me lean forward on the bar as if I got stuck after a back hip circle, then had me practice the shifting motion by bringing myself up to front support

Sent from my iPod touch using ChalkBucket mobile app :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back