WAG Xcel Success stories wanted

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

curlymomof3

Proud Parent
Hey all,
Dd is just finishing up her season as a 10-year old level 6. About a month ago, she said she wanted to quit gymnastics and never go back to the gym. This totally caught me off guard because she has always loved gymnastics and said she would never quit, wanted to do college gymnastics, etc. I think the stress of the competitive season was getting to her. However, we talked her into finishing the season and she is heading to states next week. She has had an okay season, with her highest AA being around 35, mostly due to low scoring in bars. The plan is to "take a break" after states and try some other things, such as tumbling and maybe all-star cheer.

After I informed her coaches that she wants to "take a break" from gymnastics, they mentioned that the gym is starting an Xcel program and maybe this would be a good option for her. It would still be about 9 hours/week but that is a lot less than the 24 hours/week planned for the Level 7s this summer (which Dd was dreading). They also said that maybe after doing a year of Xcel, she could go back to the JO program.

Anyways, I guess I am looking for experiences from others who have done this with their kids. Was it a good choice? I am hoping it will be fun for Dd so she can get her passion back but I also want her to be challenged so she doesn't get bored. Would love to hear your Xcel experiences!

Not many girls go collegiate with xcel gymnastics-but it is possible. I used to do prep opt, very similar. I loved it, it allows a girl to go less hours, its more relaxed, and you can make routines to your strengths. I never did get to compete, due to a poor coaching staff and a gym plagued with injuries-I switched. But it was a great experience and I know many girls that love the xcel program. It definitively is more relaxed in many gyms, and there usually is slightly less competition, but it sounds like it would be a great option for your dd.

Honestly, I would talk to your DD about the choice and do what she wants. It's fantastic that she was so bold and clear about her feelings. It doesn't really matter how successful (by what measure?) an Xcel gymnast could be- or a JO gymnast- if they don't want to do gymnastics at all. If this is their journey, we have to let them drive the bus. Sometimes we really do just have to let them walk away.

As an aside, if a girl is burnt on the hours, but still loves the sport, then your coach's option is fantastic, and it was very nice they offered movement back and forth. I hope you guys end up figuring out exactly what your DD really wants, and she gets the best outcome for her.

My daughter was an (old) Level 4 when she wanted to quit because of the hours (going to Level 5 was a big jump in hours). She likes gymnastics but also likes volleyball, basketball, and playing with her friends.

We moved to a less intense gym and she repeated 4 with the new 3. She could have moved to Level 4 this year but bars would have been a little rough. She's dong Xcel Silver and has had a great season. I figure, had she stayed at the old gym, she'd probably be training Level 6 by now, but whenever I get too wistful, I think, "No, you dummy, she wouldn't be dong gymnastics AT ALL anymore. Remember how you had to talk up practice all the way there so she'd get out of the car?" And, in a parenting moment I cringe, remembering, there was my 7 year old's handwriting next to her Level 4 schedule saying "I DOT WAT TO DO THIS!!!!" :(

The good news is she IS improving going 8 hours a week, albeit slowly, and she's competing skills like a front tuck on floor. She's learned a back tuck and an aerial on floor. So, while she may not be as awesome as she could have been, she is WAY more awesome than she would have been if she would quit 2 years ago.

I should add that Dd's coach talked to her about Xcel also and she is very excited about it. She really wants to do it. She feels it is her way to do something she loves without such a huge commitment. Dd is extremely social and, while she loves her gym friends, she definitely looks forward to her days off with her neighborhood/school friends. Until the Xcel option was mentioned, she had decided that she was going to pursue all-star gym with some of her school friends. I admit that even I was a little excited for the break from gymnastics (although I never told her this) but will support her in whatever she decides to do.

As a level 6 scoring 35s, she would do well with Xcel Platinum (very similar requirements)... the cast angle deduction at L6 (Requirement is horizontal, but they are deducted if not within 20º of handstand) does not apply... cast just has to be above horizontal.

IF it was just the number of hours that she was having an issue with (as opposed to REALLY wanting to quit), I think Xcel would be a great option.

My OG went from a poor season at OLD L6 (coaching personnel changes which resulted in her being told to change how she was doing certain skills... landing on her head/neck once... vestibular issues... PTSD... and lack of support be CERTAIN family members... and a season high score of 27.675) where she was PRESSURED to quit. She realized it was a mistake and found out when she came back that Xcel was an option. She competed Xcel Gold - only a few meets that first season. Was the youngest in our entire district. Scored a season high of 33.250. The next season she was able to get 9s on Bars, Floor, and Vault and her season best AA was 35.500. This is HUGE where we are... and about a 5 to 8 point improvement from where she had been.

As a level 6 scoring 35s, she would do well with Xcel Platinum (very similar requirements)... the cast angle deduction at L6 (Requirement is horizontal, but they are deducted if not within 20º of handstand) does not apply... cast just has to be above horizontal.

This is exactly what I needed to hear! The cast angle has been the most difficult thing for Dd to master and has been extremely frustrating for her and her coach. In fact, I think it is a large part of her wanting to quit. She is just now getting above horizontal as the rest of her teammates are doing cast handstands at this point. She has gotten only a 9.5 start value on most of her bar routines due to this. Thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge with me :)

This is exactly what I needed to hear! The cast angle has been the most difficult thing for Dd to master and has been extremely frustrating for her and her coach. In fact, I think it is a large part of her wanting to quit. She is just now getting above horizontal as the rest of her teammates are doing cast handstands at this point. She has gotten only a 9.5 start value on most of her bar routines due to this. Thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge with me :)
You are quite welcome. I became a big fan of Xcel the year before it went National (Region 5 adopted it a year early) and it has been a blessing for both of my gymmies (YG would have been going into her 4th season of the same level - Old 4/ New 3, if she Xcel wasn't an option. The child has skills... just not a middle circle... and her memory for "minor details" isn't there. We tailor her routines to fit her :) At Xcel Gold, she has a 39 second floor routine and a 25 second beam routine (from initial salute to final salute... going from mount to dismount, it is only 22 seconds).

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back